British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-11, 12:12 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Default Dublin Regiment - National Volunteers

Some forum members have already seen this badge but I wanted a few more opinions before I condemn it to the restrike abyss. I'm led to believe the badge, if genuine, is quite rare. An old boy I met at Farnham fair suggested the flaired lugs were dubious and their colour more than a little iffy. Are footed lugs a significant indicator here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00690.jpg (81.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00691.jpg (74.9 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by Mr.P.Dreary; 04-07-11 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-07-11, 02:52 PM
Peter J

Tony,

Unable to comment about the badge's authenticity I'm afraid; I'm just not familiar enough with it. However, I see that Steve Britton has an example in his 'Britton's Badges Archive' album, which may be of use in this instance.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=45165

Regards,

PJ
Old 04-07-11, 06:23 PM

Tony,

I think that the back of this badge raises to many questions for me! I would pass on it if I came across it. These badges were heavely reproduced and I think with their 100 year anniversary comming up I will expect to see alot of these and similiar surfacing in the near future.

I am away till August and cannot get to my stuff till I get back. But I'll happly post a pic of the one I have at that time if your still interested.

Regards,

Dave
Old 04-07-11, 07:22 PM

rear of mine which I think is genuine but damaged
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dnv.jpg (79.8 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-07-11, 07:25 PM

Front of Badge, this badge is struck, yours appears to have cast marks but others may disagree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dnv front.jpg (79.3 KB, 56 views)
Old 04-07-11, 07:37 PM

Connaught,

Looks good from the photo's.

Tony, do you see how Connaught's is stamped at the back and not cast. (The scroll and NV!)

Just pointers, but the true test is in holding the badges in your hand!!!!

Dave
Old 04-07-11, 07:59 PM
Mr.P.Dreary

Thank you for your comments. I can see some differences between mine and connaught's badge. Not sure about cast or struck but I particularly notice the 'NV' on the reverse of my badge is smooth. Connaught's badge is indented. Combined with legitimate concerns about the lugs I think I am satisfied the badge is wrong. I accept mule-73k's point about the regiment's anniversary but the badge already has some age to it. My father was given it about 15 yeras ago. Oh well. A little more knowledge gained but another one for my restrikes folder.