British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-18, 07:59 AM

Default Miniature colour patches what era ??

Hi all
can any give me an idea when these colour patches were worn ie WW1 period or post WW1 say in the CMF and was to show what unit you were with during WW1 and how hard are they to find with the small A ??

Thanks Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2677.jpg (52.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 23-02-18, 12:15 PM

The illustrated patch would have been worn any time from about 1920 to show service on Gallipoli with the 14th Battalion AIF. It would be placed above the full-size patch of the service person's current unit. They are uncommon with the small A, which could only be worn by Gallipoli veterans.
Old 23-02-18, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
The illustrated patch would have been worn any time from about 1920 to show service on Gallipoli with the 14th Battalion AIF. It would be placed above the full-size patch of the service person's current unit. They are uncommon with the small A, which could only be worn by Gallipoli veterans.
So at no stage were these worn above the large colour patch during the WW1 to indicate a previous unit?? Would any one have a photos or photos of this being worn post WW1 or if worn during WW1 ? Also thanks lettman for your reply mate

Cheers Rob
Old 23-02-18, 10:49 PM

Not during WW1 itself. I'll have a hunt around for a photo or two in my files. The large A could be worn directly on a soldier's current full-size patch from 1918.

Last edited by lettman; 23-02-18 at 10:52 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 23-02-18, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Not during WW1 itself. I'll have a hunt around for a photo or two in my files. The large A could be worn directly on a soldier's current full-size patch from 1918.
Thanks and yes I have a photo of a chap wearing 26th Battalion colour patches with miniature 25th Battalion colour patches sewn over the top of each patch it was allowed because the 2 unit were merged .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-01-12_001 (2).jpg (55.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo color patch.jpg (44.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg paine tunic left side.jpg (76.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo group color patch.jpg (57.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 23-02-18, 11:48 PM

Very unusual -- thanks for that one, Rob. Here's an Anzac veteran based at Loveday Internment Camp, South Australia during WW2. He wears a purple Line of Communications Engineers patch, above which is a miniature patch (possibly 10th Bn) with an A superimposed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anzac vet 001.jpg (30.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 23-02-18, 11:50 PM

Blast -- it shouldn't have appeared sideways! Apologies for that.
Old 23-02-18, 11:57 PM

Thanks
the 25th were merged with the 26th near the end of the war and they protested vigorously that they fought under the 25th colours and the command relented and allowed them to wear it in this manner .

Cheers Rob
Old 24-02-18, 12:28 AM

Hi Rob,

Looking through the war diaries of the various brigade headquarters and battalions of 2 Aust Div at the time those battalions were disbanded and absorbed into others suggests that it was 2 Div policy for the miniature patches to be worn by former members of all the disbanded battalions in 1918.

Can't locate my notes at the moment but it's only been in the last three years or so I've located that information while updating my book. In addition to which I also had a 19 Bn patch in miniature sewn onto an AAMC 2 Aust Div full-size patch, with the brass A also being worn. It was Great War material, not later.

Jeff Cossum used to have a photograph of a miniature 21 Bn patch, with brass A, being worn on what appeared to be a 5 LH Regt patch. Some other anomalies also exist, such as the 12 AFA Bde miniature patch sewn on a full-size AFC patch on the uniform in the AWM. I have looked up the guy's service record and he definitely never belonged to 12 AFA Bde at any stage, and was only attached to them from his AFC squadron for a short period as a wireless operator.

The use of miniature patches for the PMF and CMF was considered in 1920 and approved in SO Dress 1922 although it had probably commenced earlier in these two forces.

Keith
Old 24-02-18, 12:40 AM

Thanks Keith its all very interesting to ferret out this info and to see what is real and what is not BTW when do you think your new book will bee out ? Would love to see more photos of these being worn especially WW1 vintage.

Cheers
Old 24-02-18, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Blast -- it shouldn't have appeared sideways! Apologies for that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engineers Patch.jpg (25.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 24-02-18, 09:31 AM

Thank you!