British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-13, 04:58 PM

Default Medal Ribbon Bars

Hi, I have recently started collecting medal ribbon bars as a side line to my collecting Rhodesian Militaria.

Pics below show some of the collection so far. Some are generic but I have only been collecting for around 2 months and will probably be removed as time goes on as my idea is to collect groups of unusual combinations, like different countries (Rhodesian and South African for example), bars showing Decorations, and bars with emblems on the ribbons.

If anyone has any ribbon bars they do not need please contact me as I may like to add them to my collection, I am also looking for some current British rosettes as I acquired a few bars from eBay but the rosettes have been removed. I am also on the look out for a bar with Africa Star with silver rosette.

Miniature Ribbon bars (on what uniform would these have been worn? I acquired these from a dealer in South Africa)

More to follow

Thanks, Wayne
Old 10-08-13, 05:22 PM

The 2 unknown SA ribbons are 20 and 30 year good service for permanent force members. The citizen force and commandos had the same medals, but different colour stripes on the ribbon. Regards Andrew
Old 10-08-13, 05:28 PM

Hi Wayne

I know it's not terribly exciting, but I have this spare. If it's of any use (or not) please PM me.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06July2013a 009a.jpg (16.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 06July2013a 013a.jpg (18.7 KB, 6 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 10-08-13, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
The 2 unknown SA ribbons are 20 and 30 year good service for permanent force members. The citizen force and commandos had the same medals, but different colour stripes on the ribbon. Regards Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I have amended the board, will sort out a new pic eventually. Do you ever come across interesting ribbon bars in SA? Would be interested if you do please. I am also after an emblem for the John Chard Decoration, I believe its a round disc with JCD initials on it. I lived in SA for 16 odd years in the 80s/90s.

Wayne
Old 10-08-13, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Hi Wayne

I know it's not terribly exciting, but I have this spare. If it's of any use (or not) please PM me.

Graham
Hi Graham, PM sent thanks
Old 10-08-13, 06:57 PM

Nice display you've made up there, Wayne.

I'd forgotten that the police used to wear plastic covers over their ribbons in the 1980s.

A couple of comments :

South Africa : 4th row : the first group is upside down : the precedence until 1993 was Pro Patria - John Chard - C SADF Commendation Medal. After the latter was renamed 'Military Merit Medal' in 1993, it was given a higher ranking.

The first ribbon in the second group is more likely to be the KwaZulu Police Star for Faithful Service. The SADF Good Service Medal ribbon is narrower
(32mm) and the green stripes are darker.

British WW 2 : The groups with Africa Service Medals would have been South African, and the Territorial Medal would then be called 'Efficiency Medal'. The last two groups, which have the coronation medal in first place, would also be SA.

Arthur
Old 10-08-13, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guBulawayo View Post
I am also after an emblem for the John Chard Decoration, I believe its a round disc with JCD initials on it. I lived in SA for 16 odd years in the 80s/90s.

Wayne
Have seen them occasionally on bidorbuy Wayne.
Old 11-08-13, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guBulawayo View Post
Thanks Andrew, I have amended the board, will sort out a new pic eventually. Do you ever come across interesting ribbon bars in SA? Would be interested if you do please. I am also after an emblem for the John Chard Decoration, I believe its a round disc with JCD initials on it. I lived in SA for 16 odd years in the 80s/90s.

Wayne
Hi Wayne, I can dig around for you. I may have some. Regards Andrew
Old 11-08-13, 04:08 PM

Super thanks Andrew

Wayne
Old 12-08-13, 09:01 AM

Two more sets sorted out, I know the American page has a Canadian pair, I will change the title - Any help identifying the US/CAN medals would be much appreciated please.

Wayne

Old 12-08-13, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur R View Post
A couple of comments :

South Africa : 4th row : the first group is upside down : the precedence until 1993 was Pro Patria - John Chard - C SADF Commendation Medal. After the latter was renamed 'Military Merit Medal' in 1993, it was given a higher ranking.

The first ribbon in the second group is more likely to be the KwaZulu Police Star for Faithful Service. The SADF Good Service Medal ribbon is narrower
(32mm) and the green stripes are darker.

British WW 2 : The groups with Africa Service Medals would have been South African, and the Territorial Medal would then be called 'Efficiency Medal'. The last two groups, which have the coronation medal in first place, would also be SA.
Hi Arthur, thanks for the notes/corrections, I will update accordingly. As to the South African issued medals under British WWII, I have included them on that page as they are essentially British Issue Medals (or most are), this is why I have headed them as British WWII + as they could contain others - I will probably eventually have a separate page for those types depending on what bars I buy in the future

Regards Wayne
Old 12-08-13, 11:59 AM

Your American page is a bit of a mixture.

1st Occupation Medal (Germany/Japan) -normally indicated with the relevant named bar./National Defence Service/Krean Service Medal(US)

2nd Appears to be US Marine Corps Good Coal coupled with a Canadian War Service medal ?? Could be he was a volunteer with the Canadians prior to 1941.

3rd UN Korea Medal/Korean Service Medal (US)/Philippine Liberation Medal

4th European/African/Middle East Campaign Medal

5th Army Long Service Medal/American Defence Service/American Campaign Service Medal

The last one is actually French:

Legion d'Honneur/Croix du Guerre 1939 (Vichy France)/Dardanelles Campaign 1926

These are very common ribbons and many books will show them. I have a friend in Spain who has extensive ribbon web pages, which you will find to be a great help.

Try this link:
http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=odm...indexeng%2Ehtm
Old 12-08-13, 12:29 PM

Thanks Dragon166, much appreciated and that link is great too, will be very useful.

Wayne
Old 12-08-13, 12:57 PM

Hi Wayne,
I have found the following site very usfull for identifying world wide medal ribbons.

http://www.medals.org.uk/index.htm

Regards
Steven
Old 12-08-13, 01:21 PM

Thanks Steven, much appreciated