British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-11, 12:12 PM

Default My first Badge

Just received my first badge that I mentioned in another thread. Its dimensions are 60mm height and 49mm width. It is a brass colour. I am leaning more towards it being a fake. I bought it on Ebay from a someone who sells a bit of everything and does not focus on things like this. He described it has a cap badge but I am thinking an Arm badge.

Anyone any thoughts, now that I have the dimensions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqEOKp!E6WiYRugJBOwUtGJFZ!~~60_14.JPG (1.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg $(KGrHqQOKpkE6,9zCNktBOwUtIhYkw~~60_14.JPG (1.9 KB, 137 views)
Old 24-11-11, 01:03 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinca View Post
Just received my first badge that I mentioned in another thread. Its dimensions are 60mm height and 49mm width. It is a brass colour. I am leaning more towards it being a fake. I bought it on Ebay from a someone who sells a bit of everything and does not focus on things like this. He described it has a cap badge but I am thinking an Arm badge.

Anyone any thoughts, now that I have the dimensions?
Thats certainly around the arm-badge size, but not in gilded metal or brass.
I can't open the attachments by the way... so I can't compare it with the ones I have.
There is a HMS one on page 2 of my non-NI cavalry badge albums, you may want to compare the finish.
L&D only mentions Silver or HMS versions.....
I also have a Sterling silver cap badge, but this is just over 56mm high, whereas both arm badges
are just under 60mm.

Last edited by wright241; 24-11-11 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added comments
Old 24-11-11, 01:26 PM

It looks similar to the one in your album in regards to most of the detail, however the quality on this is no where near has good as yours. Above the "u" on TREU where the banner connects to rest of the badge and on the other side above the "F" there is metal casting visible, whilst on yours none is visible. Plus its brass coloured. Well a lesson learned. Thankfully I only paid £3 for it.

Thanks Wright 241 I will rename the thread "my one and only fake, EVER" and make no mention that it is my one and only badge at the time.
Old 24-11-11, 04:49 PM

The seller has refunded the money and told me to keep the badge as he does not list fakes knowingly. So nothing lost.

So is anyone interested in buying a genuine fake brass 11th Hussars Arm badge, all sensible offers will be considered from insensible bidders.
Old 24-11-11, 06:05 PM

Thank you for the offer but most of us have enough fakes already. This might be your first fake, but probably not your last
Eddie
Old 24-11-11, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Thank you for the offer but most of us have enough fakes already. This might be your first fake, but probably not your last
Eddie
I may produce an album or two for them.