British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-11, 08:54 PM

Default 36TH ULSTER

Hi all. I wanted to ask if anyone knew what the flaws are on this badge as regards the later re-strikes. I read on the multiple threads on this one of a flaw on the edge/rim. And if anyone who like to comment in general on this one.

Thanks

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-11-17 at 3.53.32 PM.jpg (33.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2011-11-17 at 3.53.28 PM.jpg (36.4 KB, 83 views)
Old 18-11-11, 01:21 AM

Simon,
this is another of those badges that you can't really judge from photos, need to handle.
It does have Sharman D Neill Belfast on the back and they were the maker of this badge.
I think Neil Pearce may be able to advise you more.
best wishes,
Eddie
Old 18-11-11, 01:54 AM

Hi Eddie, how are you. Yes, I know what you mean. I took a chance on it, but I have a full return option on it. I sent a message to Neil, let's see what he say's.

Cheers

Simon.
Old 18-11-11, 01:58 AM

Simon,
I dont remember the dixie having lugs, but then again memory can play tricks!
Eddie
Old 18-11-11, 03:04 AM

Hi Simon and Eddie,
I'll let Neil comment on this badge but will say that mine has 2 lugs.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 18-11-11, 09:18 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi all. I wanted to ask if anyone knew what the flaws are on this badge as regards the later re-strikes. I read on the multiple threads on this one of a flaw on the edge/rim. And if anyone who like to comment in general on this one.

Thanks

Simon.
Simon,
Not an expert on these but there is a flaw on the rim (NE corner) of faked ones and there also a flaw on the hand somewhere. I am sure that other members will comment. On the face of it, yours looks better than the copy I have.
David
Old 18-11-11, 02:05 PM

Well gents, I am flattered by the suggestion that I'm an expert on these. Certainly not the case, but as Eddie knows, I do have a couple of these which I hope are good ones!.

I have sent Simon a PM on this, as I think it would be wrong for me to pass judgement.

The hands on these are the main giveaway I think. Maybe others would agree? The detail of the thumbnail, the folds and how the fingers taper. Maybe a die variation? The makers mark on Simon's looks pretty good - hard to say with certainty from the photo.

Attached are two examples I have, and would be grateful for comments...
Regards, Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NHP063.5.jpg (40.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg NHP063.5Rear.jpg (46.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg NHP063.6.jpg (37.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg NHP063.6Rear.jpg (65.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 18-11-11, 04:26 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pearce View Post
Well gents, I am flattered by the suggestion that I'm an expert on these. Certainly not the case, but as Eddie knows, I do have a couple of these which I hope are good ones!.

I have sent Simon a PM on this, as I think it would be wrong for me to pass judgement.

The hands on these are the main giveaway I think. Maybe others would agree? The detail of the thumbnail, the folds and how the fingers taper. Maybe a die variation? The makers mark on Simon's looks pretty good - hard to say with certainty from the photo.

Attached are two examples I have, and would be grateful for comments...
Regards, Neil
Neil, That second one is lovely and crisp at the back. Oddly, my copy/fake looks more like your 1st one than the 2nd. I'll try and find it and post it - if only for reference purposes.
David
Old 18-11-11, 09:09 PM

Hi All,
Here's mine for comparison.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedHandUlster.jpg (10.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg RedHandUlsterrev.jpg (72.3 KB, 64 views)
Old 19-11-11, 01:04 PM

Hi every-one have dug mine out to see if it matches all the badges previously, has had a wash over to make it more bronze but has now been sufficiently removed to say it does match yours -was worrying I admit! surely the restrikes of this badge can,t have the makers mark? it was this that made me consider initially that i had a good badge a lot clearer now i,ve cleaned it and the thumb-nail is there also, here is my photo (not great-due to the wash) but she,s well chunky with a good weight and feel to her It appears that there are a few different examples of this badge looking at the photo,s the deffinition on this is not so great compared to Neils and Tinto,s all the best billy! have just added new images (not great) but clearer than before!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (407) 36th Ulster Division WW-1.jpg (61.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg (408) 36th Ulster Division WW-1.jpg (64.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 36th Ulster Division.jpg (65.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 36th Ulster Division (2).jpg (72.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by billy; 19-11-11 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add to script
Old 19-11-11, 02:29 PM

Hi all and good morning on the bright and cheerful Saturday. Nice to see all the Dixie's posted and the varying types. I take it then I have the flaw mentioned above. I hope not as I wasn't intending to get this one, but when I read that it was the division that three of the Irish Regiments were part of that I have for framing.

Well, let's see when it arrives and I'll shoot sharper pics and you all give me the final say.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (63.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 19-11-11, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Hi all and good morning on the bright and cheerful Saturday. Nice to see all the Dixie's posted and the varying types. I take it then I have the flaw mentioned above. I hope not as I wasn't intending to get this one, but when I read that it was the division that three of the Irish Regiments were part of that I have for framing.

Well, let's see when it arrives and I'll shoot sharper pics and you all give me the final say.

Simon.
Simon, I haven't taken a pic of mine yet but it does have the Sharman name etc proud of the back of the badge. Your one looks as if the name is recessed - or is that just the picture.
David
Old 19-11-11, 02:44 PM

Hi Simon i,m hoping mine,s O/K but mine appears to have something in the area you are highlighting, a bit of a dink!
Old 19-11-11, 02:51 PM

Hi David, it's hard to tell until I get it, but looks in parts recessed and in others raised.

Billy, mine looks more like a die flaw, your a ding as you say. I'd be less concerned about yours.

Simon.
Old 19-11-11, 03:04 PM

Well Simon lets hope when you get it you,ll be pleasantly surprised! all the best, must go!!