British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-11, 03:45 PM

Default Big titles for little boys

A cloth Liverpool Collegiate CCF title I won on E bay arrrived today ( picture atached ).

Whilst it is now in two lines, I am sure that originally it was a one piece item the same as the one already in my collection which is also pictured.

The unit was originally a cadet unit affiliated to the 6th Kings (Liverpool Rifles ) and when it bacame an OTC it was affliliated to the South Lancs Regiment. As a CCF unit it was affilliated to the Liverpool Scottish and when the Liverpool Scottish Museum was open they had a battledress blouse to the Liverpool Collegiate CCF on display ( see third picture )

As can be seen on the battledress blouse the cloth title at the top of the sleeve just says Liverpool Collegiate and there is a second title "CCF " white letters on a red square lower down on the sleeve.

I think that perhaps the full single piece cloth title was too long for wear on the sleeve of young cadets and hence the attempts at producing a shorter title.

Anyone any thoughts or other examples of such modifications ?

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coll 2.jpg (97.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Coll 3.jpg (24.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg collegi.jpg (8.5 KB, 58 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-05-11, 04:43 PM

Default Shortened title

It has probably been shortened by somebody to put on an arm brassard. Brassards seem to be the main item of Cadet Force apparell nowadays for displaying formation badges, rank and every other badge that the young lad can be proud of.
Old 04-05-11, 05:22 PM

Bill,
An interesting thought, the school closed in 1987, I know that cadets generally now wear a lot of insignia on brassards

Brassards were being used by the regular army in Korea, does anyone know when they started to be worn by cadets ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-05-11, 06:05 PM

Default Big titles for little boys

Peter,

I also have a Hertfordshire school CCF title that has been cut down for wear on a brassard. Sorry I cannot be more specific but I don't have access to my collection at present.

For info
Minutes of Meeting of ADC, dated 11/06/71, record proposal to introduce brassards for CCF whilst in Jersey Order. Committee approved the proposal in theory but not at public expense pending further investigation into cost. Subsequently bales of sub-standard material, for which there was no other use, was made available. (WO32/32444)

Stephen.
Old 04-05-11, 07:11 PM

Thanks Stephen,

That goes towards confirming Bills suggestion

Peter

Old 05-05-11, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
does anyone know when they started to be worn by cadets ?

P.B.
Peter

I was issued a Brassard as a cadet in 1974

Hope that helps

Paul L
Old 05-05-11, 04:54 AM

Thanks Paul.

Peter

Old 06-05-11, 06:18 PM

Unknown in my days, CCF c.1959-1963, ACF 1964, but then it was in Sussex.
Old 07-05-11, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

The same modification was/is done for Bournemouth School Combined Cadet Force. The curved Combined Cadet Force long title was fine for the RN section jumpers but the Army and RAF sections had to cut them in to 2 pieces to fit on their brassards. The Bournemouth School patch was separate with red lettering on a drak blue rectangle.

Last edited by Alan O; 08-05-11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-05-11, 01:57 PM

Thanks Alan,

I also used to have a Sandbach School CCF title in two parts which I now think ( in the light of what has been said in this thread ) was deliberately cut into two parts for wearing on a brassard, something which did not occur to me when I had the item.

Peter