British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-11, 11:25 AM

Smile GreedBay? EvilBay?

Two of several derogatory epithets attributed to “eBay – one of the UK's largest shopping destinations”. From comments made by members of this forum it seems to provoke the same sort of reaction as does Marmite … you either love it .. or hate it.

With due diligence, and awareness of the 'Del Boy' dealers and the dodgy badges (thanks largely to members of the Collecting Fraternity passing on information by word of mouth, by private message and through Forums such as here), then disappointment/mistakes can be minimised, though never totally eradicated.

EBay gives the potential Buyer/Bidder time to ask any pressing questions, time to analyse the photographed item and form an opinion, in the comfort of their own home without incurring travel costa, entrance and/or catalogue fees, etc. True the quality of description/photograph can leave much to be desired, but equally I'm sure we have all bought items at Fairs or Auction which, in natural light, turn out to be different to that perceived under artificial/poor lighting conditions in the Saleroom.

Ebay is a commercial undertaking of course, and as such, like Dealers at Fairs and Auction Houses, is interested in turnover and profit, albeit at a much much higher level in terms of volume, which makes it impersonal at times to 'disgruntled from Tunbridge Wells'. But, its payment buddy PayPal invariably takes the side of the Buyer in any 'dispute', so the gargantuan organisation scores 'points' in my jaundiced eyes.

Has anyone ever successfully been refunded by an Auction House? Questioning validity of an item would appear to affront 'expertise', and result in a lengthy/protracted 'arbitration' with/against a panel of 'tame' 'experts' (who by coincidence are likely to be regular Bidders/Buyers not wishing to prejudice their future dealings with the Auction House). Cynical? … probably.

Don't worry folks, soon be time for my medication, to sedate my dementia and senility. In reality I'm only jealous of davec2's avatar and the 'Grumpy' and 'Old Smelly' usernames.
Old 22-02-11, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raesherwood View Post
:Has anyone ever successfully been refunded by an Auction House? Questioning validity of an item would appear to affront 'expertise', and result in a lengthy/protracted 'arbitration' with/against a panel of 'tame' 'experts' (who by coincidence are likely to be regular Bidders/Buyers not wishing to prejudice their future dealings with the Auction House).
Simply, yes. The auction house in question is beyond reproach.
Also, wrt eBay, I have returned badges to sellers with no issues whatsoever.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 22-02-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 22-02-11, 03:36 PM

Old Smelly?.....I resemble that remark!

Ebay....generally I love it but do find it frustrating at times both buying and selling. The Ebay Police can be odd if you don't use the correct wording in the title sometimes. I recently listed a Machine Gun Corps title, but they postponed the live listing for 24hrs whilst one of their team checked the item pics etc to make sure I wasn't actually selling a Machine Gun! I think I'll just use MGC next time.

Generally they side with the buyer on disputes but most good sellers will always offer a no question refund if you're not happy.
Also there are bargains on there, most items will reach a fair price, sometimes they go through the roof for no apperent reason, but occationally, if you're lucky, you'll get a real gem.

Lee
Old 22-02-11, 05:49 PM

Generally have had good luck with e-bay. Last night was not however. Most always get outbid if you bid early so usually "snipe" I signed in 20 mins. early and checked the box to keep me signed in for the day but when I placed my bid it popped up on the screen "Thank you for signing out." WHAT!!!! Not enough time to sign in again so missed the auction which sold for a fair bit less than I was going to bid. Just a little ticked as this has happened before. Cheers Brian
Old 22-02-11, 06:08 PM
Badge Guru

When I asked what one dealer thought about badges and eBay he strongly believed it was a fantastic place for a bargain!

His method of thinking is that members of the public will see the masses of reproduction badges on there for £3.99 each and will then proceed to list Grandads collection of GENUINE badges for the same price. Its a wonderful thought isn't it?
Old 22-02-11, 06:29 PM
Former Member

I'm a BIG fan of Ebay... I keep getting superb badges to add to my collection!

Andy
Old 22-02-11, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post

Andy
May be so Andy, but do you give discount to Forum members on your Sales? Please ... pretty please
Old 22-02-11, 10:45 PM
Former Member

I do reduce postage quite a bit to my regulars, but I'm always willing to encourage more people onto my Ebay site!

I'm sure I could provide an incentive/discount for Forum Members!! I would certainly consider heavily reduced postage for all those ID'ing themselves as Forumites?

Andy
Old 23-02-11, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post

Andy
Same here Andy,I have picked up some incredible bargains on eBay during the 8 years that I have been a member. I know it is fashionable and seen by some as part of the ethos of this forum to play down it's viability as a source of original items,but believe me,there are some fabulous items to be obtained from it,if you are lucky.......and in the right place at the right time....and be willing to set your dross filter to 60%. Many a time the triumphs outway the disapointments.

Some of the better badges i've had from there would cost 5 times the price I paid from some of the established dealers who frequent the site.
Cheers.
Alan J

Last edited by spreadeagle; 23-02-11 at 12:56 AM.
Old 23-02-11, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raesherwood View Post

Two of several derogatory epithets attributed to “eBay – one of the UK's largest shopping destinations”. From comments made by members of this forum it seems to provoke the same sort of reaction as does Marmite … you either love it .. or hate it.

With due diligence, and awareness of the 'Del Boy' dealers and the dodgy badges (thanks largely to members of the Collecting Fraternity passing on information by word of mouth, by private message and through Forums such as here), then disappointment/mistakes can be minimised, though never totally eradicated.

EBay gives the potential Buyer/Bidder time to ask any pressing questions, time to analyse the photographed item and form an opinion, in the comfort of their own home without incurring travel costa, entrance and/or catalogue fees, etc. True the quality of description/photograph can leave much to be desired, but equally I'm sure we have all bought items at Fairs or Auction which, in natural light, turn out to be different to that perceived under artificial/poor lighting conditions in the Saleroom.

Ebay is a commercial undertaking of course, and as such, like Dealers at Fairs and Auction Houses, is interested in turnover and profit, albeit at a much much higher level in terms of volume, which makes it impersonal at times to 'disgruntled from Tunbridge Wells'. But, its payment buddy PayPal invariably takes the side of the Buyer in any 'dispute', so the gargantuan organisation scores 'points' in my jaundiced eyes.

Has anyone ever successfully been refunded by an Auction House? Questioning validity of an item would appear to affront 'expertise', and result in a lengthy/protracted 'arbitration' with/against a panel of 'tame' 'experts' (who by coincidence are likely to be regular Bidders/Buyers not wishing to prejudice their future dealings with the Auction House). Cynical? … probably.

Don't worry folks, soon be time for my medication, to sedate my dementia and senility. In reality I'm only jealous of davec2's avatar and the 'Grumpy' and 'Old Smelly' usernames.
I can assure you that GRUMPY IS.
Old 23-02-11, 11:37 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

I am very comfortable with ebay, since knowing people like ' joachin ', Keith, Andy and a few others, I am making fewer mistakes than I was when I first started, I still drop the odd clanger because sometimes I convince myself that my assessment is correct...................there's nothing like an old fool ??

I am aware more and more of those sellers to trust etc and obviously those not to, without wanting to re-create another list to give Mike a head-ache, , I have found one seller who I think is absolutely great but I'll disclose his name privately.

Dave.
Old 23-02-11, 03:04 PM
guest123a

Default I simply love it

Good afternoon all,

Whilst some may not like ebay (I must admit the selling fees are horrible) I simply love it for buying/bidding on badges, many are cheaper than what a dealer will sell you one for, just know what you are bidding on so you don't get stiffed with copies or re-strikes.

Cheers,

Marcus
Old 23-02-11, 03:31 PM
Badge Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMO2440 View Post
Good afternoon all,

Whilst some may not like ebay (I must admit the selling fees are horrible) I simply love it for buying/bidding on badges, many are cheaper than what a dealer will sell you one for, just know what you are bidding on so you don't get stiffed with copies or re-strikes.

Cheers,

Marcus
Better than 20 percent from reputable auction houses!

I do understand what you mean, as you do have to spend time with photographs and write the listing yourself.

This can be an advantage as I have in the past had some star items I have sent to auction given a very poor write up. One auction house wanted to throw my research away because they thought if the lot appeared unresearched it would fetch a better price. Strange man!
Old 23-02-11, 07:22 PM

Question

An iteresting point Jibba Jabba.

As a private Seller in simple Auction style format on eBay, a listing and sale at £100 will involve Listing fees and Final Value Fees of £11.00, netting the Seller £89.00 (ignoring Pay Pal transactions).

At a typical Auction House a sale at £100, will result at a seller's premium of £15.00 + VAT + insurance, netting the Seller £81.50.

Now Buying at Auction that item:
on ebay costs the Buyer £100;
at a typical Auction House £118.

Summary:
eBay: Seller receives £89.00; Boyer pays £100.00; Auction House receives £11.00
typical Aucyion House : Seller receives £81.50; Buyer pays £118.00; Auction House receives £36.50.

GreedBay?
Old 23-02-11, 07:38 PM

Ebay - wouldn't be without it.

It's getting harder as a seller but as a buyer there's no other market place which gives me the outlet for buying bargain badges. I pick up a few turkeys along the way but it's worth the risk.