British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-11, 04:17 PM

Default Anything you want ???

It appears that you can buy anything you want on the net !!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-Brass-Sli...item2a0db118cd

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-01-11, 04:28 PM

Confirms my New year's resolution -stay away from Gaunt sliders, with or without a dot!
Old 28-01-11, 04:41 PM

Angry

ideal for the person or persons knocking out cap badges
paj1
Old 28-01-11, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Confirms my New year's resolution -stay away from Gaunt sliders, with or without a dot!

Good try, but he is also selling "non Gaunt" sliders

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-Brass-Sli...item2a0db11bbc
Old 28-01-11, 05:47 PM

Shocking, should`nt be allowed.
Old 28-01-11, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

"More than 10 available"....
Old 28-01-11, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paj1 View Post
ideal for the person or persons knocking out cap badges
paj1
I noticed a thread recently about badge repairs, sorry paj1 I couldn't resist this, please don't be offended but to me it's quite funny, your remarks on that thread.

[ as far as badge repairs go, how much would it cost to say have a replacement slider fitted or some replacement loops fitted thanks in advance
paj1 ]

I have to wonder where he gets his lugs from, no-one seems to care but everyone appears to be happy with his work ??

Andy L.
Old 28-01-11, 07:08 PM
Banned

Andy,

Dave being the trusted craftsman that he is , often makes his own lugs from half round copper wire and also his own sliders from brass sheet. Occasionally I'm sure he uses lugs from donor badges that are beyond or not worthy repair.

Dave has even repaired the original sliders on more than one badge for me, which is preferable in some instances to a replacement thus keeping the badge as original as possible.

Yes those that have had the opportunity of using his services and are in the know are indeed very happy with the results!
Old 28-01-11, 07:19 PM

Andy l. dont worry im not offended by your post, i like to think if you can
have a laugh from someone elses post go for it !
regards paj1
Old 28-01-11, 08:13 PM

Shocking, very shocking
Old 28-01-11, 08:42 PM

Why the surprise? Where there is a demand there is a supplier! I had more fun looking at who feedback was from

Putting my moralistic hat on, yes, it's wrong, but if the reason is to re-lug or re-slider for one's own collection, then no harm done .... but, if done for gain .. naughty and needs exposing.
Old 28-01-11, 08:50 PM
Former Member

I'm a bit lost here! The Gaunt marked sliders are a worry, however the blank ones serve a purpose and I cannot see any problem in them being made available, they are obviously modern but it takes an Artisan to fix one of these to a broken badge, electrical solder just does not meet the mark!

The marked sliders are "Counterfeit" and I am just about to send the seller a message staing just that! I hope he gets the message and removes them from sale.

Andy
Old 28-01-11, 09:03 PM
Former Member

This was sent to the seller, if others could do the same they may get the message!

Hello,
I hope you do not mind me getting in contact, however the area of military badge collecting has a huge problem with fake badges being sold as genuine. Selling these items is the same as selling Fake clothing labels for designer goods and is probably against the law. Could I please ask that you remove the items from sale or deface the makers marks before selling them.. I hope that this message is received in the spirt in which it is sent! Fakes in the Military badge area is a big enough problem without items like these becoming available. Your other badge fittings are fine as they are not maker marked and serve a pupose! Best regards - Andy
Old 28-01-11, 09:52 PM
Former Member

A quick response:

Sir,
I understand your concerns regarding the sale of modern restrike badges as original and I am in agreement with you that it should not happen, but please understand that I am not doing so & would never do so. These sliders are not of modern manufacture & are unused original old stock.I have had them in my possession for at least 20 years & they were old when I bought them. I am selling them for the repair of original badges. If anyone buys these sliders and then fits them onto badges which they later sell as Gaunt originals, then it is they who are dishonest, not me. If you had a Gaunt badge in your collection with the slider broken off, wouldn't you want to braze an original slider back on. Cheers. Dave.
Old 28-01-11, 09:55 PM
Former Member

and my reply!

Dave,
thank you very much for your reply, these Gaunt sliders are the wrong shape and the wrong style of lettering, these fakes started in the 1970s. You could get into a whole heap of trouble selling them and my integrity would force me to report the sale to ebay!

Best regards - Andy