British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-17, 08:57 AM

Default Cast brass silver plated but worn & made when & where?

I was told by a well known dealer (who doesn't know what he is talking about) that this was a fake! I assume Malaya or Aden or some such ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg powoyr270.jpg (16.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 16-02-17, 04:43 PM

Probably not Malaya or Aden as the Battalion at that time would have been wearing the Yorkshire Brigade cap badge. I would imagine that the white horse was re-adopted by the PWO circa 1969/70 (forum member FMT600 will probably be able to give you a more accurate date) so in my opinion it would be no earlier than that. Normally PWO badges with lugs would, I believe, be considered to be officers pattern badges although I knew quite a few NCOs from the battalion who wore officers badges in their berets. It is well worn, so would assume that it is original. If not originally a genuine badge, the fact that is has been worn "in service" would in my opinion, make it a genuine badge. Hope that makes sense !
PL
Old 16-02-17, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rags View Post
I was told by a well known dealer (who doesn't know what he is talking about) that this was a fake! I assume Malaya or Aden or some such ?

Hello,

This pattern of badge was adopted in 1971, as to wherever yours is genuine that would come down to interpretation, it's certainly not issued, but that's not to say it's not a private purchase item and therefore quite possibly worn which if the case in my own personal,opinion would make it genuine, some others may disagree. I have numerous different variations of this badge, some of which are not issued but were worn within the 1st Battalion, would there be any chance of seeing a picture of the back of it please?

Regards,

FMT600

Last edited by FMT600; 17-02-17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 17-02-17, 11:07 AM
Banned

And to illustrate the number of variations please see below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PWO CAP BADGES.jpg (51.1 KB, 42 views)
Old 23-02-17, 02:40 AM
Banned

As we have not had the privilege of seeing the back of the badge we must assume that this is a cast copy like the brass one I illustrate on my PWO card, so it would seem the dealer was at least technically correct. irrespective of if it was actually worn or not.

FMT600

Last edited by FMT600; 23-02-17 at 08:14 AM.
Old 07-03-17, 12:23 PM

Default Thanks

Sir's - GREAT, I'll try & get a pic of the back...yes cast brass silver plated. In my opinion if it's worn it's real.
Old 07-03-17, 12:45 PM

The word FAKE means it was produced to deceive, which was probably not the case here, so COPY or Commissioned Piece for wear may describe it better.

Wanted Poppy Pins