British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-01-16, 07:43 PM

Bryan I'll certainly do that. I'm sure he would love to email you himself, I'll give him a prod in a minute

Alli
Old 01-01-16, 07:43 PM

And the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (123.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-01-16, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Not a commercially made item, a converted cap badge.
Tony.
I don't think there's a handsomer badge

Alli
Old 01-01-16, 08:29 PM

Default Another RN Sweetheart brooch

This example of an RN Sweetheart brooch, fortunately, has come down to me intact with his RN medal group, his ROAB jewel(a beautiful piece), & some of his insignia.

As it turned out he was one of the first RN ratings to sign on for service in the newly formed RCN in Aug 1910, on board HMS Niobe, together with HMS Rainbow, gifted to the RCN by the RN. He served for two yrs in the RCN, then returned to the RN for 1WW service & pension in 1919.

CPO Torpedo Instructor Harry Wickens......

(shooting thru glass, he has been in frame for many yrs, thus photos not too great - apologies!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wickens frame sweetheart broach.jpg (88.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Wickens frame.jpg (67.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Wickens frame RAOB jewel.jpg (70.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg wickens locket.jpg (50.9 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by RCN; 01-01-16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-01-16, 05:14 PM

Ok I'm a bit rubbish at picking favourites cos I've got another one that arrived today, its so pretty. A very pretty grenade
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12494740_10153294469627543_9159049965099760740_n.jpg (44.0 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-01-16, 05:34 PM

That's a very nice example Allie, never seen one of those before - Guards or Fusiliers?

Bryan
Old 04-01-16, 05:34 PM

Gosh Allie,

That one is a stunner, well done. So let's see the latest then, don't be a tease..

Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 04-01-16, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
That's a very nice example Allie, never seen one of those before - Guards or Fusiliers?

Bryan
Take your pick! as I collect both I'm happy with it being either, rather fond of RA as well and its similar to the RA or RE collar badges, so its a multi grenade
Old 04-01-16, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Gosh Allie,

That one is a stunner, well done. So let's see the latest then, don't be a tease..

Roy.
That was the latest! and it is a stunner, now sitting pride of place above my two fusilier fur cap badges. I kind of want to wear it, but being a clumsy moo I'd probably lose it.

Alli
Old 04-01-16, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Take your pick! as I collect both I'm happy with it being either, rather fond of RA as well and its similar to the RA or RE collar badges, so its a multi grenade
Thanks Alli -- I thought it might be either, I know the grenade is used for several Reg'ts in the British Army & also over here for the old Canadian Fusiliers, now long gone.

I like the RF as I have a medal group to an 1WW pre war regular RF (2nd Bn, then 4th Bn) he ent'd in '02 & saw trench service in 1WW then, in 1917, was sent to Canada as an Instructor (he had previously transferred to the Army Gymnastic Corps & was a WO2) at RMC (Royal Military College in Kingston ON), then got a job offer at a private School in Port Hope ON so he took his discharge in 1920 & was a Physical Education Instructor & Army Cadet Officer at the school there until he retired in 1959! He had rec'd the UK Army LS medal in 1919. He was (& likely still is) the oldest recipient of the CD (Canadian Forces Decoration - our LS medal), he rec'd the CD just before he went to pension from the private school, he ran the Cadet Corps there for many many yrs. Quite a career!

However, I am going on & on & boring you! Apologies, but I love your grenade sweetheart! Keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with it..........

Bryan in COLD Canada -21 this afternoon!
Old 04-01-16, 07:20 PM

Default WRCNS Sweetheart pins

WRCNS (Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service) wartime (2WW) pins are fairly rare & seldom seen, so I like any I can get my hands on - here are three nice examples.

The maple leaf figures quite prominently in Naval Sweetheart pins & I have several other examples which, in time, I will show.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sweetheart pins VR.R 024.jpg (41.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg sweetheart pins VR.R 025.jpg (45.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg sweetheart pins VR.R 027.jpg (40.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg sweetheart pins VR.R 026.jpg (37.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-01-16, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
Thanks Alli -- I thought it might be either, I know the grenade is used for several Reg'ts in the British Army & also over here for the old Canadian Fusiliers, now long gone.

I like the RF as I have a medal group to an 1WW pre war regular RF (2nd Bn, then 4th Bn) he ent'd in '02 & saw trench service in 1WW then, in 1917, was sent to Canada as an Instructor (he had previously transferred to the Army Gymnastic Corps & was a WO2) at RMC (Royal Military College in Kingston ON), then got a job offer at a private School in Port Hope ON so he took his discharge in 1920 & was a Physical Education Instructor & Army Cadet Officer at the school there until he retired in 1959! He had rec'd the UK Army LS medal in 1919. He was (& likely still is) the oldest recipient of the CD (Canadian Forces Decoration - our LS medal), he rec'd the CD just before he went to pension from the private school, he ran the Cadet Corps there for many many yrs. Quite a career!

However, I am going on & on & boring you! Apologies, but I love your grenade sweetheart! Keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with it..........

Bryan in COLD Canada -21 this afternoon!
Bryan no, no, no, not boring at all! I love to hear about it, that's a fascinating career, and a fantastic medal group to have.
I have a couple of 4th and 2nd Bn RF's in my family tree. In fact I think my 4th Bn boy was chucked out as he was underage then went on to become a tankie.

I do have a terrible soft spot for the Fusiliers probably as much as Grenadier Guards. I can't resist a bomb, there is just something very pleasing about them, and lots to collect. I will never be rich.
If ever I take leave of my senses and decide to part with it, I'll put you at the top of the list

-21?? its just flipping wet and horrible here at the moment
Old 04-01-16, 08:41 PM

PM me yr email addy Alli & I will send you some shots of my 4th Bn RF man,

Bryan
Old 04-01-16, 09:01 PM

PM on it's way!....
Old 06-01-16, 07:39 PM

Very nice attractive RE Cap badge & Rifle Sweetheart pin on ebay now:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201493283644?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RE Sweetht.jpg (30.5 KB, 22 views)