British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-12-14, 09:52 PM

Question Scinde Camel Corps

I have had this badge for over forty years and wonder whether anyone can give me any more information about it.

I was told by a well known collector of British and Colonial badges some years ago that it was a piece of horse furniture produced by Fox of Southsea with loops on instead of the usual horse furniture fixings.

All thoughts and ideas welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000944.jpg (61.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg P1000945.jpg (50.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 28-12-14, 03:47 PM

Quite possibly horse [or camel] furniture but also, IMO, perhaps a belt plate. Did the gentlman have an explanation form why there were loops and not screws? Not disputing, but curious.
Old 28-12-14, 05:47 PM

Default Scinde Camel Corps

Sadly, all the information I have was put in the thread, the collector who told me this information is now long gone, I was hoping the more knowledgeable could add something to the thread.

Obviously if the item was made by Fox of Southsea which would have been c1900 it would be classed as a fake although being over 100 years old an antique in it's own right.

An attractive piece IMO with the motto "Ready aye ready" which is also on the "Camp coffee" labels it will remain with me as it has for the last 45 years.

Regards Rob
Old 01-01-15, 05:16 PM

Well, the Scinde Camel Corps was raised in 1843 by General Napier and in 1853 became a rifle regiment, the 6th Punjab [irregular Force] and eventually part of the 59th Scinde Rifles and ultimately the 6th Bttn of the 13th Frontier Force Rifles, which went to Pakistan in 1947.

None of which speaks to the plate, but the NAM has a colour from the 1843-1857 period, so the unit had the regalia, almost certainly English made. Also, oddly, they are commemorated on a plaque in Portsmouth. [http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co...mel_corps.htm]. I am always amazed by what fakers chose to duplicate but I'd still be surprised if this were 'faked' with intent to deceive, most especially so long ago. Either real or perhaps done up for some commemorative occasion, unless the Fox attribution is also false. And 'Ready, Aye, ready' was a common phrase attached to military and patriotic themes in the 19th century.

Fascinating piece!
Old 26-01-15, 07:26 PM

Talking Just like buses . . !

You see one then another appears, now on ebay 251800948361

Rob
Old 27-01-15, 03:38 PM

Ah, then perhaps I'm too optimistic about the fakers! Two in a row is definitely pushing the odds on coincidence. Though of course an antique 'repro' is certainly well within the realm of possibility too.

I'm not sure whether stamped versus cast is important but the lack of any visible fasteners on the reverse gives me pause.