British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-15, 11:40 PM

Default 160th Btn Cap or Sweetheart?

This gilt 160th was picked up as a sweetheart pin. It is an unusual version with it not resembling the 160th cap badge and being about the same size.

#1 160th Badge.jpg

#2 160th Badge.jpg

#3 160th Badge.jpg
Old 22-01-15, 12:43 AM

Interesting piece. I have never seen one before. A number of items are scarce with this battalion including a cloth shoulder title which they didn't get to wear overseas. The '160' looks like it was handmade with its irregular shapes
A grandfather of mine was in this unit.

Raymond

Last edited by Raymond Gilbert; 22-01-15 at 01:04 AM. Reason: forget some comment
Old 22-01-15, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Clarification, the unit had the title overseas, when they were in the UK, but were told to take it down.
Old 22-01-15, 01:42 AM

Raymond:
I agree that the 160 is rough. The badge itself appears reasonably well made and not a type that I know of from another source. It makes me wonder if it was a prototype or a proposal for a cap badge at some point in the process.

The legend under the crown is hard to read in my photo, it is also hard to read under magnification on the actual badge. Here goes.....I think that under the crown reads..."AUDAX IN ARDUIS". I am not certain of the "D" in "Audax" but the rest of the letters are fairly clear. If this were found to be an expression linked to the 160th then it could be thought to be a purpose made leaf badge to the unit. That would perhaps lend some credence to the idea of it being a proposed cap badge or a prototype.

In any event it is an interesting one and not well documented at this point in time.
Don
Old 22-01-15, 02:50 AM

Don:

There is a well researched book on the unit by Allan Bartley: Heroes in Waiting.
Maybe you could find an answer there. I see you are from B.C. Perhaps you could get the book on inter-library loan.

Raymond
Old 22-01-15, 03:02 AM

Nice badge!

Hi Don
Old 22-01-15, 07:52 AM

Hi
It's a 146 battalion sweetheart / badge with the 146 cut out and overplayed with 160.
Looks like a period badge
Very nice
Dan
Old 22-01-15, 01:59 PM

Default 160th_____?

Dan:
Nice catch. I wonder if there was a stack of spare 146th badges sitting around to be the inspiration for this one. I guess that solution would be cheaper than designing from scratch. I would wonder that a unit would take another one's badge for anything more than a model or prototype.

Mr Babin tells us that "Audax In Arduis" translates to "Bold In Hard Work". It is an interesting motto on a military cap badge. I suspect that this is another of those mysteries that will remain lost to time.
Don
Old 22-01-15, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cefguy View Post
Dan:
Nice catch. I wonder if there was a stack of spare 146th badges sitting around to be the inspiration for this one. I guess that solution would be cheaper than designing from scratch. I would wonder that a unit would take another one's badge for anything more than a model or prototype.

Mr Babin tells us that "Audax In Arduis" translates to "Bold In Hard Work". It is an interesting motto on a military cap badge. I suspect that this is another of those mysteries that will remain lost to time.
Don
I wonder if the previous owner was handy with a small saw and file and just made the badge up. Cutting out the 146 and then cutting a 160 overlay and attaching it? Still does not explain the gilding. Yes a mystery.
Old 23-01-15, 12:26 PM

Default 160th Intrim HB

In all of the images (bunches and bunches!!) that have been sent to me for the CEF badge book (Thanks To Everyone- Keep them coming!!) , there is one of the same badge. No details of the badge were included.

So that's two! that are out there.
Old 03-02-15, 04:11 PM

Old 07-02-15, 01:26 AM

Default Spare??

Mike
You don't happen to have a twin of that flash that you would like to part with, do you?
Moe