British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-01-15, 07:01 AM

Smile General Service Corps - plastic and GM

Hi all,

I just found this group photograph which includes my father, Private Kenneth Moss (second from left, rear row) during basic training - April to July 1947. It shows recruits with both the General Service Corps badge in gilding metal (K&K 1084) and in chocolate-brown plastic (K&K 2278, patter sealed 16 January 1943). I think the lance-corporal is from The Sherwood Foresters (Nottingham and Derbyshire Regiment) and the corporal is from The Lincolnshire Regiment. He has white cloth shoulder titles that match a later photograph of my father and these were Lincolnshire and not Royal Lincolnshire. He also has a shoulder patch that I cannot make out from the angle. The Sherwood Forester appears to wear neither shoulder titles or shoulder patches. The photograph was taken in Lincoln.

Interesting that in 1947 a mixture of both GSC badges being worn. Not an amazing fact I know but hey…

Cheers Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7024.jpg (71.3 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 26-01-15 at 09:40 AM.
Old 28-01-15, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

I just found this group photograph which includes my father, Private Kenneth Moss (second from left, rear row) during basic training - April to July 1947. It shows recruits with both the General Service Corps badge in gilding metal (K&K 1084) and in chocolate-brown plastic (K&K 2278, patter sealed 16 January 1943). I think the lance-corporal is from The Sherwood Foresters (Nottingham and Derbyshire Regiment) and the corporal is from The Lincolnshire Regiment. He has white cloth shoulder titles that match a later photograph of my father and these were Lincolnshire and not Royal Lincolnshire. He also has a shoulder patch that I cannot make out from the angle. The Sherwood Forester appears to wear neither shoulder titles or shoulder patches. The photograph was taken in Lincoln.

Interesting that in 1947 a mixture of both GSC badges being worn. Not an amazing fact I know but hey…

Cheers Dean.
Dean - have put in a 'Thanks' for reproducing this photo, as they appear to be such a rarity. We know a lot regarding the wearing of the G.S. capbadge during WWI and the units who wore it, but this is the first photo I've seen it worn during WWII - lovely photo.
Old 29-01-15, 08:01 PM

Smile

Thanks Graham,

I am pleased the photo was of interest. Most non-family photographs and postcards are un-marked and dating becomes a narrowing exercise. I presume like a recent thread I read on GSC badges in use today that for the three months of basic training recruits wear a GSC badge and then on passing out they wear the badge of the unit they are posted to. Same as 1947. Cheers Dean.
Old 30-01-15, 09:14 AM

A close up of one with a backing in use on a GS cap. Probably just postwar.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GS Cap GSC with backing JM.jpg (40.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 31-01-15, 12:38 PM

Thanks for posting John,

Even one of the most worn badges has details like when was a backing cloth worn not well known. Like many badges it awaits someone trawling through teh records.

Cheers Dean.

Tags
general service corps, gsc