British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-09, 06:35 PM

Lightbulb Queen's (Golf ball) OSD

Hi Guys,

A good friend of mine has sent me this scan of a OSD Queen's badge he recently got. As you can see from the picture and the title of the thread it is the so-called golf ball sheep. Has anyone got an opinion on this one?

I know the golf ball Queen's has come up before (albeit in brass)... and is now sheltering in Dave's draw

This being an OSD and really not my area I'd like to pick everyones brains.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 21-04-09, 06:43 PM

Cant really take a stab at it without seeing the reverse.

CB
Old 21-04-09, 07:02 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Default Inferiority complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Halls View Post
Hi Guys,

A good friend of mine has sent me this scan of a OSD Queen's badge he recently got. As you can see from the picture and the title of the thread it is the so-called golf ball sheep. Has anyone got an opinion on this one?

I know the golf ball Queen's has come up before (albeit in brass)... and is now sheltering in Dave's draw

This being an OSD and really not my area I'd like to pick everyones brains.

Cheers,

Luke
Hi Luke,

Nice to see you posting again...............................I'm showing mine again, partly in the hope that Andy might fall off his chair thru' laughing so much and land on his ****.

I think, quality-wise the one you are showing is of a more uniform pattern, the fleece that is, the scroll is also tidier than mine but I'm still not turning mine in yet because if some-one OK's yours, then there will be hope for mine !!

All the best.

Dave.

On reflection Luke and excuse the pun, I'm sorry about the light when these were taken but I think your photo is more like my bronze example than my ( blackened brass ) model, two extra pics shown, particularly the fleece, the main difference is the voided leg ?? can you find out what the reverse is like ??

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4290.jpg (81.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4297.jpg (65.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4298.jpg (54.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by davec2; 21-04-09 at 07:14 PM. Reason: retrospect
Old 22-04-09, 10:01 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello, Like Dave I'm thinking blackened brass and would need to see the reverse. I have a 'golf ball' skinny sheep that looks cast, possibly Indian made where at least one battalion spend the First World War.
Old 24-04-09, 08:24 PM

Hi Lads,

Apologies for the late reply gentlemen they've seen fit to keep me very busy at work these last few days.

Just got a pic of the back and here it is........ marked J.R.GAUNT LONDON.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 25-04-09, 05:04 PM
Former Member

Thumbs down

I've posted my OSDs (One die cast & one die struck)

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG6973.jpg (58.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6974.jpg (61.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6975.jpg (58.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6976.jpg (62.3 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 04-12-12 at 06:16 PM.
Old 25-04-09, 07:09 PM

Default Queen's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Halls View Post
Hi Lads,

Apologies for the late reply gentlemen they've seen fit to keep me very busy at work these last few days.

Just got a pic of the back and here it is........ marked J.R.GAUNT LONDON.

Cheers,

Luke
Hi luke,

All I can say really is that to me, it looks as though the blades are new and then the badge has been painted, rather than bronze-washed.... does it look like paint to you ? it appears to be too black ??

Dave.
Old 26-04-09, 12:57 AM

Default Queen's (Golf ball) OSD

Luke can I suggest your friend take a sharp knife and scrapes behind the scroll around the spurious JR Gaunt mark and hopefully he wont find solder. Most badges are either struck or cast this one seems to be both. All the best Sean.
Old 26-04-09, 06:39 PM

Luke,
I really don't like the blades or the mark. Neither match the quality or marking of anything that I have in my collection.
Hwyl fawr,
Kevin
Old 26-04-09, 07:20 PM

Default sheep with an inferiority complex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
Luke,
I really don't like the blades or the mark. Neither match the quality or marking of anything that I have in my collection.
Hwyl fawr,
Kevin
Hello again Luke,

Following Kevin's remarks, I can only compare the mark to one of my badges, a Cornwall model, all my other Gaunt marked badges have the name in an arc !!

There appears to be some silver solder on the right hand blade and as I said earlier the shape isn't right, IMO.

The mark is definitely a delicate affair, almost as though the whole of the scroll had been floated with lead solder and the mark hit too gently in fear of showing this ?? am I being too suspicious ??

Sorry mate, to my limited experience, I have doubts about it's validity but you know me, what do I know ? lol.

Dave.

PS. I also meant to say, is it possible that it's a kosher brass badge that has been ' modified '.............to an OSD model ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4346.jpg (89.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4345.jpg (61.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by davec2; 26-04-09 at 08:23 PM. Reason: PS.
Old 27-04-09, 05:05 PM

Coming in here rather late, but I must also say that The Queens's badge in question is not quite right. The quality is again not up to Gaunt standards.
I made mention of this with regard to another OSD badge posted some weeks ago and either these are outright fakes at worst, or possibly period made Indian bazaar pieces at best (which would not be "fake" in the normal sense).
They sometimes made cast badges complete with a Gaunt name on the reverse, either stamped or in relief.

CB
Old 06-05-09, 05:59 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input. I had a word with my friend and he's given the back a scrape and its solid cast brass.

Playing devils advocate here could the colour of the badge be because it's from a certain battalion. I know some regiments 5th Battalion's wore blackened badges (The King's for example), could this be the case here? Wouldn't the officers have done likewise too?

Cheers,

Luke
Old 06-05-09, 09:42 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Certainly could be TA Queens, one of their battalions wore a blackened brass badge much the same as the 6th East Surreys. $th Queens went to India in 1914-19 not sure aboout the others though, will have to dig out Westlake for the second time today. I'd expect an officers to be a good quality badge
Matti
Old 04-12-12, 02:17 PM

The badge posted by Luke was in fact mine and despite others opinions I had at the time and still have no problems with it being genuine.

In fact here's another.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORIGINAL-G...item2a26b9bdc3

Other than the finish and blades identical. If everyone believed everything they read on here how many badges would be resigned to the bin, a point I do agree with Jim Duggan on.
Old 04-12-12, 03:16 PM

Hi Keith,

I hope this finds you well ?

As you will have read, I wasn't over enamoured with the model Luke was showing but it was no where near as rough as the original ' golf ball ' version, ie, mine, the fleece is really embossed and random on mine and it still remains a doubt.

The one you have just highlighted does differ from the one shown by Luke in at least three instances, the tail, the direction of the fleece near the hind legs and the blades, in fact I like the one being offered by Warren so much that I have opened the bidding on it.

As you wrote, there are plenty of varying opinions and they are just that, opinions, if you are happy with the badge shown by Luke ( how is he by the way ?? ), that's your perogative, my own opinion is that I like the one being offered by Warren more than the one shown by Luke and I would welcome it into my ' flock '

There you go mate, how to re-open an old thread and re-start a debate !!

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 08-12-12 at 04:05 PM.