British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-12-12, 11:49 AM

Default 28th Btn London Regiment Artist Rifles

I have owned this badge for about 20 years but have never been entirely happy with it. It is a fairly solid brass badge of the correct size for the cap badge; it doesn't bend and appears to have been blackened at some point in its life.

However, there is no evidence that it ever had a slider. It is brooched as if it was meant to be worn as a sweet heart badge and the fittings appear to be contemporary.

Is it a cap badge or is it a piece of jewellery? Did the Artist's ever have a brass economy cap badge? Is it a fantasy restrike? Shall I post it in my album? Why am I asking so many questions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR.jpg (90.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg ARrev.jpg (100.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 29-12-12, 12:06 PM
Former Member

It looks bronzed to me? There appears to be the remains of a lug/blade behind the pin clasp fitting? It is probably an OSD cap (bladed) or collar (lugged, although I'm not sure if there were full size collars??) that has been brooched? It looks to be a genuine strike?

Don't confuse restrikes with fakes and copies! There are very few restrike post 1900's cap badges?

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 29-12-12 at 12:15 PM.
Old 29-12-12, 12:21 PM

I hadn't considered OSD and it is certainly a possibility. The badge does have a bronzed appearance but only on the front as the back appears to be plain brass. The front certainly has a lovely patina. Having searched the forum there appear to be some shocking examples out there with hideous facial features and which are, if you will excuse the pun, quite unartistic. The facial features on my badge seem to be quite consistent with the second pattern badge and the void spaces appear to be correct.

To answer two of my questions, there was a brass economy version and I will post it in my Great War album.

Thank you for your input.

Simon
Old 29-12-12, 12:39 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
I hadn't considered OSD and it is certainly a possibility. The badge does have a bronzed appearance but only on the front as the back appears to be plain brass. The front certainly has a lovely patina. Having searched the forum there appear to be some shocking examples out there with hideous facial features and which are, if you will excuse the pun, quite unartistic. The facial features on my badge seem to be quite consistent with the second pattern badge and the void spaces appear to be correct.

To answer two of my questions, there was a brass economy version and I will post it in my Great War album.

Thank you for your input.

Simon
Simon,
it is very unlikely that there was an "Economy" version of this badge, as it was struck in Gilding metal?

Andy
Old 29-12-12, 12:41 PM

I meant a brass economy of the O.R.'s cap badge.
Old 29-12-12, 12:44 PM
Former Member

Quote:
I meant a brass economy of the O.R.'s cap badge.
Simon,
this badge was struck in a single metal for ORs both Gm (brass) and Wm, only Bi-metal badges would of had an "Economy" version!

See here

Andy
Old 29-12-12, 12:59 PM

Andy,

you are clearly right as there wouldn't be much point in making a brass economy version of a brass badge. I had misread what Gaylor said, "the pattern with 'Artists Rifles' on the scroll was in both brass and w/m" and assumed that the brass was the economy version of the w/m badge.

Thank you for sharing your superb 'economy' album.

Simon
Old 29-12-12, 01:03 PM

Simon,
I'd say you have a nice blackened brass cap badge, OR's, originally on 2 loops e/w, nice badge, these came in bb,wm & gm for OR's, I have added mine for you,
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early brass Artists Rifles with lugs.jpg (58.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Earl brass Artists Rifles with lugs, rear..jpg (48.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 29-12-12, 01:03 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Andy,

you are clearly right as there wouldn't be much point in making a brass economy version of a brass badge. I had misread what Gaylor said, "the pattern with 'Artists Rifles' on the scroll was in both brass and w/m" and assumed that the brass was the economy version of the w/m badge.

Thank you for sharing your superb 'economy' album.

Simon
Simon,
the subject of "Economy" badges is confusing and not helped by some of the newer publications on WW1 badges. Despite being outstanding works they tend to make reference to "Economy" versions which did not exist, apart from reproduction items (fakes and copies)!

Andy
Old 29-12-12, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Simon,
I'd say you have a nice blackened brass cap badge, OR's, originally on 2 loops e/w, nice badge, these came in bb,wm & gm for OR's, I have added mine for you,
Wilf.
Wilf,

Thank you; your badge seems to have exactly the same 'fault' on the reverse as my badge. A little fleck of extra metal in the middle of the last piece of scroll ribbon to the right, as you look at the reverse.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARrev.jpg (100.2 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 29-12-12 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Adding photograph.