British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-13, 04:31 AM

Default Burned once, but what about the others?

Dear fellow collectors,

I just received an eBay lot that I won, and immediately realized one was a reproduction – I am a victim of the infamous J.R.GAUNT.LONDON – Gaunt with a dot. I’m still willing to keep the lot if the others look legitimate to you, and just accept that I paid a bit more than I would have. If the others are questionable, I may seek a refund, so please tell me what you think.

Royal Irish Regiment looks good to me: voided under the crown, voided strings, crimp mark, strengthening applied between crown and harp. The strengthening wire goes under the slider, across the bottom of the crown to the other side. I don’t know if that’s legit.

Royal Munster fusiliers, Gaunt with a dot: Looks well used and aged, doesn’t it? The seller actually posted a photo of the slider marking, but his photo was out of focus and I did not notice the dot until it arrived.

Royal Munster Fusiliers, Cast: White metal part is attached with two pins through the bomb and bent beneath the slider.

North Irish Horse: I didn’t look too closely at this one before it arrived because I’m collecting line infantry and figured I could trade or sell it later. It’s shiny like anodized aluminum, but feels like the older metals - possibly chrome plate? There are wear marks on the lugs where I can see a base metal of brass or copper beneath.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1RIR.jpg (33.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 2RIR.jpg (26.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 3RMFG.jpg (26.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 4RMFG.jpg (31.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 5RMFC.jpg (22.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 6RMFC.jpg (28.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 7RIH.jpg (34.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 8RIH.jpg (29.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 27-04-13, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

The RIR looks OK. The brass strengtheners have been faked but yours looks OK.

The 2nd Munster is an obvious copy as it is a fat tiger. Search 'Munster badge' on ebay and you see that design on all the fakes.

The cast Muster is probably an Indian made badge.

Cn't comment on the NIH.

I have a spare Edwardian lugged and sldiered Munster badge that will go on the auction site in a couple of week if anyone is interested.

Alan
Old 27-04-13, 06:58 AM

I agree with Alan about the points he has raised regarding your badges.

In addition, the North Irish Horse looks good to me. It's just been chromed at one point.

Garry
Old 27-04-13, 07:07 AM

Hi,
I had the same thoughts about your cast Munsters badge a while back.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=23907
The Royal Irish Regiment & North Irish horse look OK to me.
Eddie
Old 27-04-13, 11:37 PM

Thanks so much for checking out these badges!

Good to know about the “fat tiger” Alan. I did notice he was fatter once I had the badge in hand, but was not on the lookout for that feature when I bid on the lot.

Thanks for your input Rockape.

Ebro, thanks for the link to your Munster badge. Like yours, I can see an impression of the tiger on the back inside the grenade.

Chris
Old 28-04-13, 11:34 AM

Here is a link to the cast Munster in my collection

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...875#post206875

The one thing that I noticed is that the "slider" is very thin. I am not home at the moment, but I will upload an image later.

All the best,

Andy
Old 28-04-13, 11:47 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnp View Post
Dear fellow collectors,

I just received an eBay lot that I won, and immediately realized one was a reproduction – I am a victim of the infamous J.R.GAUNT.LONDON – Gaunt with a dot. I’m still willing to keep the lot if the others look legitimate to you, and just accept that I paid a bit more than I would have. If the others are questionable, I may seek a refund, so please tell me what you think.

Royal Irish Regiment looks good to me: voided under the crown, voided strings, crimp mark, strengthening applied between crown and harp. The strengthening wire goes under the slider, across the bottom of the crown to the other side. I don’t know if that’s legit.

Royal Munster fusiliers, Gaunt with a dot: Looks well used and aged, doesn’t it? The seller actually posted a photo of the slider marking, but his photo was out of focus and I did not notice the dot until it arrived.

Royal Munster Fusiliers, Cast: White metal part is attached with two pins through the bomb and bent beneath the slider.

North Irish Horse: I didn’t look too closely at this one before it arrived because I’m collecting line infantry and figured I could trade or sell it later. It’s shiny like anodized aluminum, but feels like the older metals - possibly chrome plate? There are wear marks on the lugs where I can see a base metal of brass or copper beneath.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris
I've also got a Chromed NIH the same as yours, which I'm 100% happy with!

Andy
Old 28-04-13, 06:18 PM

A picture of my cast Munster from a different angle. You can clearly see the construction.

Hope it helps,

Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:25 PM.
Old 29-04-13, 07:09 PM

Thanks to both Andys.

Good to know the NIH is a good one.

Andy H, thanks for the excellent close-up. I would think that ours are from the same source, as they are the same right down to the faint imprint of the tiger on the inside and the look of the slider.

Chris