British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-06-16, 07:30 PM

Hello guys, I would like to add to this discussion please.

As senior Curator of the PFF Collection RAF Wyton and have been for over 12 years now, the information I have accrued over this time has came from many PFF veterans as well as the records held within the AHB, the deputy director is part of our team.

Anyway I can only speak of this type of badge with regards to the PFF, SAS1 you said;

'In a nutshell, the notion that Pathfinder badges with a broach fitting are post war is rubbish. The 'ISSUE' badges all had broach type fittings and were issued, as mentioned, with a certificate. Each Airman had more than one uniform (I think one battledress and two service dress tunics), and as such it was quite common for am Airman to beg, borrow, buy or steal additional badges for his uniforms.'

With the information I have accrued I think you may be mistaken, sorry, AMOA 1244 - 1942 brought into service an, 'EAGLE, GILDING METAL', 'B' class store item, Sect Ref 22H/629. 3 badges per individual were a free issue. Initially worn on both flying jacket (BD) and service tunic, however withdrawn from wear on the flying jacket for obvious reasons though this did not stop some individuals wearing it!!! It was agreed that it could be worn on the BD post war.

The brooch style fitting is indeed post war as all PFF awarded badges were of, predominantly, the stud type fitting though blade fittings were also issued. Added to that, Forage Cap as well as Visor Cap badges were used as these were easy to come by.

The majority of badges I have on uniforms are the studded type. I have none with the brooch fitting. The brooch type badges I have were subsequently given to us from the families when these brave chaps sadly passed away.

I hope this makes sense and I'm always happy to answer any questions regards the PFF.

Warmest regards

Johnny
Old 11-06-16, 09:23 PM

Johnny,

What do you mean by "stud" fittings.

Could you show us a photo of the rear of one please.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-06-16, 09:36 PM

That is indeed very interesting as I have four examples, which all came direct from three airmen who had served in 8 Group and all have the typical utilitarian pin as shown in my previous post, rather than a jeweller's brooch, I certainly have never considered them to be exclusively post war, although, such examples were issued after the war had ended.
Like Simon, I have never seen an example with "studs" you would expect to see Lugs/Blades/Wires/Posts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFF Museum View Post
Hello guys, I would like to add to this discussion please.

As senior Curator of the PFF Collection RAF Wyton and have been for over 12 years now, the information I have accrued over this time has came from many PFF veterans as well as the records held within the AHB, the deputy director is part of our team.

Anyway I can only speak of this type of badge with regards to the PFF, SAS1 you said;

'In a nutshell, the notion that Pathfinder badges with a broach fitting are post war is rubbish. The 'ISSUE' badges all had broach type fittings and were issued, as mentioned, with a certificate. Each Airman had more than one uniform (I think one battledress and two service dress tunics), and as such it was quite common for am Airman to beg, borrow, buy or steal additional badges for his uniforms.'

With the information I have accrued I think you may be mistaken, sorry, AMOA 1244 - 1942 brought into service an, 'EAGLE, GILDING METAL', 'B' class store item, Sect Ref 22H/629. 3 badges per individual were a free issue. Initially worn on both flying jacket (BD) and service tunic, however withdrawn from wear on the flying jacket for obvious reasons though this did not stop some individuals wearing it!!! It was agreed that it could be worn on the BD post war.

The brooch style fitting is indeed post war as all PFF awarded badges were of, predominantly, the stud type fitting though blade fittings were also issued. Added to that, Forage Cap as well as Visor Cap badges were used as these were easy to come by.

The majority of badges I have on uniforms are the studded type. I have none with the brooch fitting. The brooch type badges I have were subsequently given to us from the families when these brave chaps sadly passed away.

I hope this makes sense and I'm always happy to answer any questions regards the PFF.

Warmest regards

Johnny

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 11-06-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 10:18 PM

Stud fitting would be the bolt on type.
Old 12-06-16, 01:51 PM

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies. Frank, I would say 'Stud' and 'Post', in my mind anyway, would be the same as I think they would have a nut fitted to secure????

I think this is interesting as this info could mean that maybe some chaps had a pin / brooch fixing soldered on for ease of wear, it would make sense to me. The chaps I have known and still know, did not use the pin/brooch type of fixing till the PFF Association was formed! Sadly disbanded in 1992, though functions are still held at RAF Wyton to this day.

Yes, Magpie is indeed correct. Two studs with a brass plate with nuts. The blade type, as far as I remember don't have the brass plate. I have RAF, RAAF, RCAF, SAAF and USAAF examples.

I'm in the museum on Wednesday and although I have photos showing the Pilots Flying Badges, Half Wing Brevets, medal ribbon bar and PFF badge, I have never taken a photo of the PFF badge fixing. I will do that and update this post on Wed night / Thur.

Thanks once again.

Kind regards

Johnny
Old 12-06-16, 03:21 PM

So are you suggesting the utilitarian pin badges were not actually originally manufactured as such and were modified by their wearers after the war, or are you suggesting they were issued after the war had ended?

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 12-06-16 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-06-16, 04:24 PM

The 2 badges I have are both made with a pin back and have not been modified later.
Old 12-06-16, 04:28 PM

Hi Frank, not at all.

I know what I have been led to believe and what was issued to the airmen at the time, as told by the veterans and the Air Historical Branch at RAF Northolt. What I'm saying is that the brooch / pin type was more prevalent post war and more readily available from the PFF Association. I'm very sorry if I've not explained myself very well, a lot can be lost in translation with the written word.

Cheers for now

Johnny
Old 16-06-16, 02:28 PM

Good afternoon Gents,

After a night hosting in the HC, I had a look at the fixings of the PFF badge attached to most of the uniforms I have on display, I looked at 30 in all, as I ran out of time. Didn't get chance to look at those hung away. This is to show the differences that were issued/borrowed/acquired etc etc! I've also had a chat with a few of my veteran friends and they are 100% sure they were issued with the stud/post type. However as this is just a snapshot it's not an answer for all.

18 have Stud / post type fitting as seen on 1752 and 1730.
7 have blade / tang type fittings as seen in pics 1712, 1763 and 1774(BD).
2 have the fixing as seen on 1767.
3 have utilitarian pins, however, I do know these were post war as told to me by the veterans that wore them, after fitting of new uniforms and didn't want to puncture the fabric of the pocket.

That you for your interesting comments and look forward to more conversations in the future.

Cheers for now Johnny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1712.jpg (84.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1763.jpg (93.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1774.jpg (96.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1752.jpg (99.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1730.jpg (86.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1767.jpg (103.1 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by PFF Museum; 16-06-16 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 19-06-16, 07:49 AM

Hello Johnny,
My own thoughts have always been quite simply, an eagle, is just that and nothing more, unless, it was actually worn by a member of 8 Group, notwithstanding, the facts remain.
The eagle with the distinctive pin was the first to be originally made as a Pathfinder badge and was not, to the best of my knowledge, used as anything else, in that, whilst there certainly are PFF Sealed Patterns in existence of the eagle with both screw posts and the pin, the screw post eagle was already in existence, before the PFF was created, as were all those others with blades, lugs and wires, but, the eagle with the pin would almost certainly have been "the badge" in it's final form.
I knew a number of PFF members down the years and I remember being told that there were great many eagles of all types in use as their badge and I believe the pin was in use in 1945 just before the war had ended, the former is certainly born out with your photographs.
I have one of Patrick Carden's in my collection, from memory, he flew with both 582 Squadron as well as the quite remarkable 139 Squadron, with this latter, as "assistant" Master Bomber on several occasions.
Kind regards Frank
Old 19-06-16, 08:18 PM

Hi Frank,

I totally agree with you that an eagle, unless provenance is given to what it truly is, especially with regards to 8 Group, is just an eagle. That's the reason I always question those that offer such and item and normally no proof is had!

I also agree with what you are saying re the Pathfinders and the different types of fixings though was the original question not the initial issue of this badge and their fixings? I think we agree, going by your comments, that the utilitarian was a later edition to the fixings of this most honoured award. Sorry if I've got that wrong with what you're saying.

I also had the pleasure of knowing Patrick and I also had the honour in hosting him at many of the PFF Functions we both attended at RAF Wyton. However, as far as I remember he flew with 35 and 582 Sqns! I have the Sqn Operation Record Book for him and his Ops.

If you're ever in the Cambs area you'll be made more than welcome to visit the Heritage Centre.

Cheers for now

Johnny

Last edited by PFF Museum; 19-06-16 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 20-06-16, 07:47 AM

Hello Johnny,
There are certainly PFF Sealed Patterns on screw posts, but, these are the same eagles as those already extant and in use as cap badges, all the other eagles with all the various fittings and fixtures we have discussed, that were used as PFF badges, again, were already extant, certainly, to the very best of my knowledge, when 8 Group was formed.
What I am suggesting, is simply that the badge with the distinctive pin was not extant and in use as anything else, it was made as a PFF badge, but I rather doubt, before 1945.

Pat was a truly great man, the absolute cream of his generation, he had learned to fly in an Avro 504 in the early thirties, when I knew him, he was very busy, despite his age, I do remember he had been appointed as the Wings Appeal Officer of the Burnham branch of the RAF Association, of course, he was just down the road on Church Street in Burnham itself, only a few miles away from Harris and his wartime HQ.
So he had a lot of paperwork to do, but, always made time for me, a very kind and sincere man, his DFC was well deserved.
I suspect, just thinking back, I am not correct regarding 139, not having the original 414's to inspect, one is left with those Form 540 and 541 in AIR 28 so I think I might have confused him with another fellow.

Yes, I must come down for a chat sometime, I am more of a fighter type really, but, all very interesting indeed.
Kind regards Frank

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 20-06-16 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-07-16, 04:46 PM

attributed to 7 Sqn DFC holder. several aves in group with a variety of fixings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pathfinder.jpg (66.0 KB, 90 views)