British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-17, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Default Sandbach School

http://www.mindenmilitaria.com/viewp...h=55438&phqu=3

Anyone an old -Sandbachian? I have been unable to find any record of Sandbach having an OTC?

Their CCF has been around since at least the 1970s and currently wear the Mercian badge and the Cheshire Regt beforehand.
Old 07-12-17, 10:18 AM

Well the closest hallmark to the one on the back is "1894".
But the order is different 1894 shows lion,anchor then the u.
Nothing showing for lion ,u then the anchor .
Old 07-12-17, 11:19 AM

Definately 1894 by Vaughton & Sons, well known maker of silver military medallions for sports etc. so it well predates the OTC.

Possibly an early Cadet Company but as Alan I have never seen one mentioned or even a Head Boys/Prefects badge.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 07-12-17, 07:10 PM

This, or a similar badge has been discussed before because I can remember saying that my father in law gave me his Cheshire Regiment cap badge from when he was in the CCF and posting a copy of a letter I got from the school about the badges worn by the unit.

Of course I cannot find the earlier thread now.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-12-17, 09:10 AM

May be a senior moment but didnt this badge pass through a well known auction house in the fairly recent past.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-12-17, 11:16 AM

Alan,

I am not an "Old Sandbachian " but I have had the attached for many years, came with some military bits but not military.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0903.jpg (41.8 KB, 23 views)

Old 08-12-17, 11:29 AM

They did have a Rifle Club, the picture attached is from a BBC article which if you google shows no mention of a Cadet unit at that time.
Some of the boys have a badge on their school caps although I can't make that out. The gent in uniform I would guess is an ex/reserve military instructor for the rifle club and seems to be wearing a bugle badge or a Cheshire Regt acorn collar badge.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (51.5 KB, 20 views)