British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-09-17, 07:14 AM

Default 23rd Battalion The London Regiment

Looking through the threads but can't find an answer.

I have a bronze 23rd with a 'slider'. It is defiantly not a dirty brass badge in need of a good clean. Have uploaded both front and back of this badge along with my brass version.

Also have a silver and gilt 23rd which again original had a slider now broached.

KK states bronze and silver and gilt are officer issue.

So does anyone know if these 'officer' badges were ever issued 'with a slider'?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3886 (1024x768).jpg (43.4 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3887 (1024x768).jpg (42.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3890 (1024x768).jpg (45.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3885 (1024x768).jpg (52.4 KB, 62 views)
Old 06-09-17, 08:20 AM

The "bronze" badge has braze holes on the reverse so it is a bi-metal badge that has been given a bronze-brown coating at some point.
Old 06-09-17, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The "bronze" badge has braze holes on the reverse so it is a bi-metal badge that has been given a bronze-brown coating at some point.
Agreed... it's an O/Rs' badge. The slider seems to have been included in the 'bronzing' process too.

Your all-G/M example seems good.

Any chance of a view of the front of the badge in pic #4? As you say, it once had a slider.

Thanks for posting.

JT
Old 06-09-17, 08:47 AM

I would say your badge has been in the ground at some point giving the bronze appearance.
Old 06-09-17, 11:22 AM

looking at your brooched silver/gilt badge, it appears cast so I would suggest a privately purchased one which used a broken O/Rs badge as the template. Either that or it is an old O/Rs badge which has been gilded and silver plated by a jeweler. I think they can use wax to shield areas which they don't want to be affected by the plating process.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 06-09-17, 01:19 PM

Definately BM and not bronze.

Just needs a deep clean.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 06-09-17, 02:03 PM

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
I would say your badge has been in the ground at some point giving the bronze appearance.
Old 06-09-17, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH331 View Post
I agree
Make me the third. Without doubt a corroded badge that just happened acquire an appearance similar to that on OSD badges. I have seen this before.

CB
Old 06-09-17, 06:31 PM

Well there were officer's badges that had sliders - but that is another matter because neither of the badges you illustrate are officer's badges. (I'm puzzled by the reference of 'S&G' in this thread !)

The first badge is - as has been pointed out - a bi-metal badge that would date from 1908 to 1916. Yes, it's just dirty (no shame in that !)
The second badge is a 1916 'all GM' badge which the WO defined as Pattern 622/1915 - of which 5k were ordered in April 1916 (see Bull MHS Nov 2015). The reverse still retains the "gilding" that the jeweller responsible for transforming it into a brooch applied. It has worn off on the front.

Apropos "bronzing" - this was, in WO parlance, a GM badge that was either blackened (as for rifle regiments) or 'bronzed' - ie a brownish colour - commonly used for eg yeomanry badges and a few others such as the Lpl Pals. The WO documents (at TNA) specifically describe the 23rd London badge being just plain 'GM' !

You still have two nice examples - though the first could do with a clean. Enjoy !

Old 06-09-17, 07:20 PM

There's 3 badges there, perhaps a picture of the front of the gilded brooch would be nice.
Old 07-09-17, 02:26 AM

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't think they were officer but couldn't work out why they are 'officer' style.

Yes the bronze badge is exactly the same construction as my bi-metal 23rd.

Have just cleaned the bronzed badge with my favorite cleaner 'toothpaste' and the bronze coating is still there now minus grim.

Obviously didn't want to destroy the coating to get back to the base metals. The bronze is all over back and front so I agree it was coated at sometime.

If it was bronze coated any ideas on who might have worn them and when?

With the silver/gilt badge yes the broach work looks professionally done so could very well have been made from a OR's badge for someone with a few bob to spare back in the day.

Once again many thanks for all your input, most helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3884 (1024x768).jpg (46.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-09-17, 06:31 AM

Dak, no sorry, I hadn't realised that there were three badges.
Firstly, although there were 'officially' bronzed badges it was not uncommon for soldiers to darken or blacken their badges - whilst they still wore caps before the advent of the helmet. Troops in Egypt actually used some form of creosote !
The construction of your "S&G" is die struck and not die cast as an officer's badge would be. Moreover the silver and gilt parts would have been separate metals whereas the 'gilding' on yours has been painted on - you can see that the brush has slipped here and there.
As a 'single unit' collector I like these examples showing a range of badges that have traces of being adapted.
J

PS officer's badges were not "issued" (by the WO) until 1949, hitherto they had to buy them. However they could actually ask the maker - or more likely their tailors - for specific fixtures (blades, loops or even sliders). S&G is what officer's wore on formal / home dress whereas bronze (introduced in 1902) was for Service Dress (usually known as O[fficer's]SD).

PPS - Castle Militaria has just listed a nice pair of 23rd London officer's collar badges

Last edited by KLR; 07-09-17 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 02:56 PM

KLR Thank you for your detailed reply and I think you've hit nail on the head.

Yes these away from the standard out of the ordinary badges are a bonus to any collection only problem is their not in the main reference books.
Old 08-09-17, 05:26 PM

There was a thread here about standard East Surrey bimetal badges being 'bronzed'; http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...+surrey+bronze

It caught my eye as I have one exactly the same. I think on these the 'bronzing' has faded to slightly different colours on the brass and the white metal. I have to say, my assumption has always been that they were used as a stop gap by ORs or NCOs ennobled to officerhood where no OSD badges were immediately available. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E.Surrey Bronzed 43 x 41 ££ (1).jpg (97.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg E.Surrey Bronzed 43 x 41 ££ (2).jpg (114.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-09-17, 06:48 PM

I must say that with the exception of griff's images all the badges in these 2 threads look like typical ground dug from good soil to me.