British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-17, 04:45 PM

Default Help please with basic medal questions

I want to attach a Bomber Command clasp to the 1939-45 Star. I don't know if the clasp is supposed to be sewn to only the top fold of the ribbon, or through both folds. Could someone enlighten me?

I have also a protocol question of sorts. I am framing the medals award to a man killed in action in 1944. The medals, awarded posthumously, have sat in the original cardboard mailing box that the Air Ministry sent to his wife in 1944. Should I clean these medals to their original state, or leave them tarnished? It seems to me that leaving them tarnished may be more of a sign of respect to the man awarded these medals who is not around to clean them himself. Thanks for any insights.
Old 26-03-17, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Hi rjcook, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. Some advice will be forthcoming.
You may also wish to ask the question on the British Medal Forum. http://www.britishmedalforum.com
Old 28-03-17, 08:30 PM

Default Medal mounting

Welcome rjcook, the questions you ask are purely preference, l sew bars through both ribbons as it is easier to do it this way. As for polishing medals, this argument has gone on forever. I always used to polish medals when mounting groups but am less inclined to nowadays so the choice is really up to you.
Regards pete
Old 29-03-17, 02:14 AM

Pete, thanks for the response. I did not realize that there was a division over the polishing/leave tarnished question. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, because I'm not convinced even in my own mind over which is the better choice.
Old 29-03-17, 06:20 AM

Hi there, the medal components all arrive as you found them, for the recipient to sort out, so as pointed out already it's up to you (or your tailor?) how to attach the bar. Medals are never made to be worn tarnished - you would get pulled up for it on parade, it looks scruffy. If I were mounting them I would give them a light polish to remove any tarnish and then leave them framed to re-tarnish over the years. Good luck with your project whatever you decide.
Regards, Craig