British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-10, 04:28 PM

Tony,
I have just got back from seeing my father in Liverpool and on the way a couple of lads from Liverpool University OTC crossed the road from the OTC Centre in Mather Avenue to the bus stop outside Tesco. Both wearing berets with Kings Liverpool cap badge on the red patch.

Nice to see the badge and patch of the Kings Liverpools still being worn.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-03-10, 05:52 PM

Peter ,
Reminds me of a day last summer, when crossing Dale Street ,on my way to Bill Tagg's shop in Cheapside, I passed two Liverpool Scottish lads wearing their Tam o Shanters, am sorry to say they just don't look the same with the Duke of Lancasters badge and blue hackle, compared to the old type Liverpool Scottish badge that had been taken up previous.
Regards Tony.
Old 14-08-10, 05:12 PM

Default a/a KSLI green felt backing.

Hello all,
can anyone confirm whether this is the correct backing for this a/a badge?
Thanks Tony.

Last edited by tonyb; 24-08-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 14-08-10, 06:06 PM

According to "Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the Britiah Army" referred to earlier in this thread the 1st Bn KSLI wore an outline Rifle Green backing and the 4th Bn KSLI a 2" (50mm) square behind their badge.
Old 14-08-10, 06:25 PM

Thanks GGA backing does look like its been cut out by a three year old !
Regards Tony.
Old 14-08-10, 09:12 PM

Default Badge backings.

The following 'table of cap badge backings' is transcribed from Clothing Regs 1966, Pamphlet No15, as amended.
The table runs- unit/ colour of backing/ headdress in which worn.

Scots DG/ Yellow/all
4/7 DG/ Maroon/all
5 Innnis DG/ Green/all
RH/ Crimson/all
14/20 H/ Primrose/ Beret
15/19 H/ Red/all
Para Sqn, RAC/Red/ beret
1 Gds Indep Coy, Para/ Guards Div colours/ Beret
Scottish Div/ Regimental tartan/ Bonnet, ToS (except Black Watch)
LI/ Red/all
RRW/ Grass Green/ Beret
Worcs & Foresters/ Lincoln Green/ Beret
QLR/ Primrose/ Beret
Staffords/ Buff/all
DERR/ Red/all
AAC/ Dark Blue/ Beret
RAMC/ Dull Cherry/ Beret
RADC/ Emerald Green/ Beret
APTC/ Red & Black/all
QARANC/ Scarlet/all
WRAC/ Beech Brown/ Beret
DWR/ Scarlet/ Beret & Forage Cap
7 GR/ Cameron of Erracht tartan/ felt hat

This list is as amended in June 1972.
Hope this helps, Stephen.
Old 14-08-10, 09:19 PM

Stephen thanks for reply great reference.
Cheers Tony.
Old 18-08-10, 04:14 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Tony,

I have recently acquired a book on Cap Badges of the British Army, 1939 -1945 by G.L.D.Alderson, in it he has a small section on badge backings and obviously they applied to the pre A/A era.

I wonder if some of the info given would add anything to Stephen's list in the previous post, for example, where Stephen's list states for the 4th/7th D.G.'s. Maroon/All ( in my book it's the Royal Dragoon Guards ) but in the list it says " a maroon square worn on it's point cut to the outer edges of the four main points of the star ", so explaining the shape etc.

Another example is the DERR, in the amended list it says Red/All but it doesn't explain that it is an inverted triangle 2 inches wide by 2.1/2 inches deep.

If any of this info is useful to you, I'll photo copy it and send it to you....

Dave.
Old 18-08-10, 04:20 PM
Former Member

Scots DGs is Black! Yellow?

Andy
Old 18-08-10, 05:46 PM

Default Badge backings

Andy,

Yes, the Dress Regs are copied correctly, NOT Black. However, somewhere I have read notes of an appeal by the regiment which resulted in black being authorised. The copy of Dress Regs 1966 have been corrected/ amended until 1972, when the next set of regs were published, and they do not have this 'correction' listed.

Incidentally, regarding the DERR. I have specimens with both square and triangular red felt backings.

Stephen.
Old 18-08-10, 07:54 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Stephen,

I would have to take advice on all the backings to the DERR badge because I never actually reached my regiment and it was fifty years ago,the only square backing that I can remember was to the collar badge ( cap and collar badges being the same size ), the felt was the same size as the badge with the corners trimmed, the Beret badge was the Brandywine flash ( inverted triangle ) and the Officers' badge was obviously backed by the red band on the SD cap.

Because I'm not 100% certain, I can't debate the point of a square backing other than to the collar, so I will bow to your knowledge.

Dave.
Old 18-08-10, 09:17 PM

Default Badge backings

With regard to the DERR I'm not willing to be put up against the wall in support of both/ either of my backings being genuine. The square patch may just be someone's idea of 'dressing' the badge for display.

I do however have an anodised Wessex with an inverted plastic triangle which I am sure is a genuine backing, but by whom exactly it was worn I haven't investigated.

Stephen.
Old 04-09-10, 07:59 PM

Stephen,
From memory a Wessex Brigade cap badge is shown with an inverted red triangle on the cover of "Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the Britiah Army"

I'm sure it mus be mentioned within this excellent reference work.

Regards

Bess
Old 05-11-11, 03:36 PM

The Primrose Diamond cap badge backing worn by The Queen's Lancashire Regiment soldiers on their berets was introduced by Lt Col FFE Allen DSO, CO 1st Bn The East Lancashire Regiment, at Hamburg in 1945. Originally of cloth and then felt, the backing was later changed to plastic. The backing was not worn by officers or Warrant Officers Class 1. Primrose, known as pale yellow, was the facing colour of the 30th Foot 1702-1881. It was chosen in 1916 as the colour of the battle patches worn on both sleeves and on the helmets by 1st East Lancs for the Somme offensive. The distinctive diamond shape is traced to the 2nd Bn The East Lancashire Regiment, formed in 1881 from the 59th Foot and known because of their white facings as the 'Lilywhites'. The battalion introduced a white diamond patch worn on the sun helmets in India in 1902-03.
Old 05-11-11, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hodges View Post
The Primrose Diamond cap badge backing worn by The Queen's Lancashire Regiment soldiers on their berets was introduced by Lt Col FFE Allen DSO, CO 1st Bn The East Lancashire Regiment, at Hamburg in 1945. Originally of cloth and then felt, the backing was later changed to plastic. The backing was not worn by officers or Warrant Officers Class 1. Primrose, known as pale yellow, was the facing colour of the 30th Foot 1702-1881. It was chosen in 1916 as the colour of the battle patches worn on both sleeves and on the helmets by 1st East Lancs for the Somme offensive. The distinctive diamond shape is traced to the 2nd Bn The East Lancashire Regiment, formed in 1881 from the 59th Foot and known because of their white facings as the 'Lilywhites'. The battalion introduced a white diamond patch worn on the sun helmets in India in 1902-03.
Great stuff Robin and welcome to the forum!

Regards

Chris

Tags
badge backings