British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-08, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hello again, gentlemen,
An open question, asked without any research but as with my last Worcestershire Regiment badges query, aimed specifically at BLIZZARD, because of his experience and apertaining to my bronze badges.
Clive, I have a nice cap badge , as you can see, it has a red felt backing, I am also trying to pair collars lol, would the voided collar also have a backing ?
As usual, any help is appreciated, it's thanks in advance.
Regards.
Dave.
I don't believe the 29th (ever-sworded) Worcestershire Regt ever wore a red backing to their badge. I have seen this kind of thing before though where a collector wanted to make his ensemble of OSD badges stand out by backing them all with scarlet felt. They looked pretty but it was misleading to the un-enlightened.
Old 05-09-08, 09:00 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hello Toby,
Thanks a lot for your time and of course, info, it's appreciated.
Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 05-09-08 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-09-08, 09:18 AM
BLIZZARD

Default correct

Hi Dave
Toby is correct the reason for the backing could have been if he was on detachment to another regiment or just as Toby says a decoration by a previous owner but officially the answer is no backing
Regards
Clive
PS The only one that I have with a red backing is a badges of the Worcester Royal Gammer School OTC and they did wear a backing so it is possible one of the officers of this unit was a officer from the regiment at sometime
Old 08-09-08, 03:30 PM

Another topic I can really get into. Will get some pics taken and post.
Old 16-07-09, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
If there is enough interest I wonder if this could become a new thread or Forum Project with members providing actual examples of badge backings.The one drawback of the " Badge Backings........." book is that only the illustrations on the cover of the book are in colour.

P.B.
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but there seems to be a lot of interest on the subject of backings on these forums (me included!)

As stated in this thread, would it be possible to have a forum or thead dedicated to cap badge backings?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 16-07-09, 10:18 PM

On the GS (Khaki) Beret the North Staffords wore a black patch behind the badge (transferred to a collar badge backing when blue berets were introduced) to represent the old Black facing colour. The South Staffords wore a "Holland patch" backing to commemorate long service in the West Indies when due to lack of proper material they used Holland Cloth to repair uniforms and make waistcoats. The Holland was worn by the Staffords and I suspect is now worn by 3 Mercian (Staffords)
Old 17-07-09, 02:52 PM

No pictures readily to hand but three backings from personal experience/knowledge:

1. The scarlet rectangle behind the King's Regiment badge in an earlier post; also worn in the early 1980s (at least) by Manchester & Salford University OTC with their upright prancing lion badge

2. B (Staffordshire Yeomanry) Squadron, Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry wore a red backing behind the centre of their squadron collar dogs in the late 1970s

3. Post-war in battledress on the beret, officers of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment wore their cap badge on a blue rectangle.
Old 18-07-09, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStafford View Post
On the GS (Khaki) Beret the North Staffords wore a black patch behind the badge (transferred to a collar badge backing when blue berets were introduced) to represent the old Black facing colour. The South Staffords wore a "Holland patch" backing to commemorate long service in the West Indies when due to lack of proper material they used Holland Cloth to repair uniforms and make waistcoats. The Holland was worn by the Staffords and I suspect is now worn by 3 Mercian (Staffords)
According to the website the Holland cloth is now worn as a backing to the arm badge in the Mercians.
The Mercian capbadge has a Lincoln green backing patch on the beret,from the Worcester and Sherwood Foresters.
Old 18-07-09, 02:40 PM

Default Just found this

Regimental dress distinctions

The regiment's cap badge is a double headed Mercian Eagle with Saxon crown. This has been chosen because it forms a link to the regiment's recruiting area, which encompass a number of divergent counties that do not have traditional links, except under the ancient Kingdom of Mercia (unlike the other new regiments from Scotland, Wales and Yorkshire). It was originally intended to use the old Mercian Brigade badge worn by the Cheshire Regiment, Staffordshire Regiment, Worcestershire Regiment and Sherwood Foresters from 1958 to 1968, rather than create an amalgamated badge that would require elements from all of the antecedents. In 2005 this badge was rejected by the Army Dress Committee on the grounds that it had been the badge of a territorial unit, The Mercian Volunteers, junior to the amalgamating regiments. Accordingly a slightly modified design was adopted.

Various "Golden Threads", representing the traditions of predecessor units, are incorporated in the Mercian Regiment's uniform:
Arm badge: a gold wire Stafford knot and glider badge with a backing of "Brown Holland" material on a black felt patch from the Staffordshire Regiment
Collar badge: Oak leaves and acorn from the Cheshire Regiment combined with the motto Firm from the Worcestershire Regiment
Facing colour: buff, from the Cheshire Regiment. To be worn on full dress uniform, mess dress and as piping on No.1 dress shoulder straps.
Sword frog on the Sam Browne Belt comes from the Worcestershire Regiment
Officer's rank badges will be coloured bronze /gun metal, from the North Staffordshire Regiment
Warrant officers' and NCO's rank badges: Black backing from Staffordshire Regiment..
Cap badge backing: A square Lincoln green cloth backing worn behind the cap badge on the beret, from the Sherwood Foresters
Lanyards: Each battalion is to retain a distinctively coloured lanyard on No.2 dress: red cerise for the 1st battalion, Lincoln green for the 2nd, black for the 3rd and Mercian blue for the 4th. A regimental pattern with twists of cerise, buff and green also exists.
Tactical Recognition Flashes: The Regiment's TRF is a 3 vertical striped diamond with Cerise on the left, Buff in the middle and Lincoln Green on the right. Each Battalion also has their own, the 1st and 2nd Battalions use their anticendant Regiments flashes, Buff and Cerise for the 1st and Cerise and Lincoln Green for the 2nd. The 3rd battalion has a black diamond with the Staffordshire knot and the 4th Battalion has a blue diamond with the Mercian Eagle on it.
Regimental Side Hat: black with buff inner crease and green piping and peak. The cap badge is in silver and gold wire embroidery.
Pullover: Buff, worn by officers and WOs, from the Cheshire Regiment.
Stable Belt: Buff, from the Cheshire Regiment, with a bronze locket bearing the cap badge in brass.
Old 20-07-09, 07:27 PM

Default Badge Backings

There is a book on this subject but I can't for the life of me remember its title, but I seem to remember the proceeds went to a charity for service personnel injured in N Ireland. Barry Morris of Morris Militaria had a copy. Cheers Sean.
Old 20-07-09, 08:47 PM

Badge Backings and Special Embellishments of the British Army
ISBN 0 9514342 0 9

C E Audax
Old 20-07-09, 11:37 PM

Default Badge Backings

Full marks that man, don't forget all the northern regiments that Kipling and Kean and others, perhaps couldn't research due to geography, yet alone the officer's badges compared to other ranks. Cheers Sean.
Old 27-03-10, 06:36 PM

Default Lancastrian Brigade

Hello all,
Picked this up today A/A Lancastrian Brigade cap badge.
Marked J.R.Gaunt B'HAM it came complete with a red felt backing.
I already have this badge but with out the backing, is the red felt particular to a specific regiment of the brigade or is it just missing from my first badge?
Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1828_27-03-10.jpg (86.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg image_0007.jpg (98.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 28-03-10, 07:17 AM

Tony,

In the book"Badge Backings and Special Embelishments" which has been mentioned in this thread earlier,on page 90 it says The Kings Regiment continued to wear their red badge backing behind the Brigade badge.

This would have been the red 1 7/8" square ( mentioned by Staffsyeoman previously ) and not the outline backing on the badge you have just acquired.
P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-03-10, 02:03 PM

P.B thanks for information,I recall red patch you mention being worn by The Kings regiment and it can now be seen backing the new Duke of Lancasters badge.
Regards Tony.

Tags
badge backings