British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-11, 12:09 PM

Default Some early prison buttons

The attached scans are of some prison buttons in my collection, all of which pre-date the nationalisation of the local prisons in 1878. I thought people might be interested to see them.

1. Convict Prison. This button was dug in Chatham about 15 years ago. From the backmark I have managed to it to circa 1850.

2. Derby County Gaol. The term "gaol" in the 19th century officially meant a place for the confinement of persons awaiting trial at Quarter Sessions or Assizes, as opposed to sentenced prisoners, and the Assize courts sat under a commission of "Gaol Delivery". The term was abolished by statute in 1865, so that any item of insignia carrying the word "Gaol" must be pre-1865.

3. Ely Prison. This dates from around 1850-1878. Although "Gaol" was abolished as an official term in 1865, some counties used the term "Prison" well before then, especially where a county gaol also contained a bridewell or house of correction. The Isle of Ely had its own courts including Magistrates Courts and Quarter Sessions, and Assizes sat at Ely from time to time.

4. Maidstone County Prisons. This is another dug button, reputedly found at Maidstone Crown Court over 20 years ago. The use of the plural "Prisons" may refer to both a gaol and house of correction.

I hope these are of interest. Please feel free to comment - or correct me if I have stated anything that is incorrect.

Kind regards
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prison buttons001.jpg (17.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Prison buttons002.jpg (17.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Prison buttons003.jpg (16.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Prison buttons004.jpg (16.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 23-11-11, 12:48 PM

Hi Jamesb853,
Some very nice buttons thank you for posting.I would agree with your dating of them.
Hwyl
Bantam
Old 21-01-12, 12:30 AM

I'm REALLY getting back into it now Bantam : )
Old 24-03-18, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb853 View Post
The attached scans are of some prison buttons in my collection, all of which pre-date the nationalisation of the local prisons in 1878. I thought people might be interested to see them.

1. Convict Prison. This button was dug in Chatham about 15 years ago. From the backmark I have managed to it to circa 1850.

2. Derby County Gaol. The term "gaol" in the 19th century officially meant a place for the confinement of persons awaiting trial at Quarter Sessions or Assizes, as opposed to sentenced prisoners, and the Assize courts sat under a commission of "Gaol Delivery". The term was abolished by statute in 1865, so that any item of insignia carrying the word "Gaol" must be pre-1865.

3. Ely Prison. This dates from around 1850-1878. Although "Gaol" was abolished as an official term in 1865, some counties used the term "Prison" well before then, especially where a county gaol also contained a bridewell or house of correction. The Isle of Ely had its own courts including Magistrates Courts and Quarter Sessions, and Assizes sat at Ely from time to time.

4. Maidstone County Prisons. This is another dug button, reputedly found at Maidstone Crown Court over 20 years ago. The use of the plural "Prisons" may refer to both a gaol and house of correction.

I hope these are of interest. Please feel free to comment - or correct me if I have stated anything that is incorrect.

Kind regards
James
Hi James,

Can I possibly use a few of your photos for my prison insignia website that I am building please? I will of course give you full credit.

Garry
Old 24-03-18, 10:29 PM

Two of mine to look at one is Convict department second is Prison Department it is nice to see such early examples that you have shown.

Has anyone seen a Stafford Gaol button if so would like to hear or see an image.

Regards

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.jpg (58.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 24-03-18, 11:50 PM

Hi James,

A very nice area to collect too and one that is perhaps often overlooks (me being one of them). A great group of buttons and a joy to see, so thank you for posting them.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com