British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-18, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bespoke CCF cap badges

Can anyone add to this list of CCF cap badges. This list is only for bespoke CCF badges and not for regular army badges worn by CCFs.

Thanks

Alan
Old 23-03-18, 08:17 PM

Default Bespoke ccf cap badges

You don`t have my old school unit.The Royal liberty Grammar School,Gidea Park,Essex. The CCF Army cadet unit wore Yellow on Royal blue shoulder titles and a white metal Cap badge.My one is sadly incomplete but it is shown in Kipling and King. The School was in a Georgian Mansion called Hare hall which was the WW! training base for the Artists Rifles.We used the old wooden Guard house as our 6th form hut. All the best Andrew
Old 24-03-18, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you. I have updated the list,
Old 27-03-18, 01:27 PM

I think there are also Chigwell (same badge as OTC KK2526 but not blackened) and Wanstead High School (KK2700, correctly described and illustrated but wrongly attributed to Royal Wanstead School)
Old 27-03-18, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. Updated my list.
Old 28-03-18, 09:32 AM

NP. I have pictures of Royal Liberty and Wanstead in my Essex Cadets album (and the enamelled Forest School), you're welcome to add them to your gallery if you wanted.
Old 28-03-18, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandpud View Post
You don`t have my old school unit.The Royal liberty Grammar School,Gidea Park,Essex. The CCF Army cadet unit wore Yellow on Royal blue shoulder titles and a white metal Cap badge.My one is sadly incomplete but it is shown in Kipling and King. The School was in a Georgian Mansion called Hare hall which was the WW! training base for the Artists Rifles.We used the old wooden Guard house as our 6th form hut. All the best Andrew
Andrew

What date was that? It's always helpful to date their ue.

Alan
Old 28-03-18, 09:38 PM

Default Royal Liberty CCF

i was in the last group of Cadets at the school from 1967 until 1970 when the unit was disbanded .The cap badge was worn on the black beret by the junior cadets and by the army cadet unit . all the best Andrew
Old 27-02-19, 11:12 PM

I'm new to this, and as an American, I know there is a lot I don't know. Is there any listing of OTC and CCF units with a description or picture of their badges? Fascinating stuff, these badges are loaded with history and tradition, of the sort we don't have so much over on this side of the ocean. I already have done some research on the regular forces and TA, so this is a new field of endeavour for me. Thanks!
Old 28-02-19, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum.

You might find these albums useful. They list all known OTC, JTC and CCF badges as well as showing a proportion of those.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=1602

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3398

In addition there were many Cadet Corps units that predated 1908 or sat outside the Junior Division OTC. These are not well recorded but identified unit badges are listed here:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...m.php?albumid=

This list is not complete by any means.

Alan
Old 28-02-19, 04:21 PM

Thanks! Is Kipling & King (as I've heard) the best reference for the whole range of British cap badges? Which edition is best? I have a copy of the older, 1 volume.
Old 01-03-19, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

It is the best book for all types of cap badges. Volume 2 shows the OTC and CCF badges. It is not correct in every identification. The earlier editions have better quality photographs. Since their publication a considerable amount of new information has come to light and research done which makes them the best reference but still dated and not an authority by any means.

The only other cadet badge reference work is a pamphlet by Rawlins which has been reproduced and is sold on ebay. The morality of copying and selling someone elses' work when the proceeds from the original work went to charity is dubious in my opinion. The pamphlet itself is a reference of units cap badges and titles but there are a number of errors in it and several non-cadet badges are beings old as OTC/CC as a result based on their mis-identification in this work.
Old 01-03-19, 10:04 AM
MarkGD

Hi Alan, not on your list, Greshams, Epsom & Pates', i think they all have their own badges. Regards Mark
Old 01-03-19, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks. Epsom has it's own in gilt, Pates in cloth and Greshams wears RAnglian. I have updated the list.

Alan