British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-18, 03:05 PM

Les Martin has one in his insignia section circa 1902.For some strange reason cannot seem to view it.
Old 23-03-18, 04:13 PM

Rod flood has a very good example circa 1916,It is sold.
Old 23-03-18, 05:10 PM

QUOTE=monty
Rod flood has a very good example circa 1916,It is sold. . [/QUOTE]

Marked differences in the appearance of the badge including lack of fretting to the POW feathers, on this F&S 1916 hallmarked example, I haven't attempted to compare the manufacturer and hallmarks until I get to a desktop.

http://www.mindenmilitaria.com/viewphoto.php?x=1

Closer similarities including the flaws at the joins of the scrolls on a 1938 hallmarked brooches badge.

http://www.mindenmilitaria.com/viewphoto.php?x=0

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 23-03-18 at 05:23 PM.
Old 24-03-18, 09:01 AM

Morning leigh.I am pleased you had a good look on the dealer website.What do you think about the quality of his two examples in regard to yours?.I get they vary much in appearance,But just compare how sharp in detail and quality his examples are. kind regards Gary
Old 24-03-18, 09:33 AM

Yes, variation noted thanks (previous general googling for examples had failed).
Distinct differences, although I still haven't compared the hallmarks properly, manufacture of mine is closer to the 1938 brooched badge (I haven't made out the manufacturer) rather than to the earlier F&S example.
The scroll join flaws on mine concerned me, they're the sort of thing that I'd expect to see on old, worn or damaged dies, but I wondered whether they were indications that an ORs bimetal badge could have been used to make a mould, although if a silver badge original wasn't available to copy an OSD cap or collar badge would be readily available
I'll search on for more examples.
Old 01-04-18, 09:49 AM

I was unsure whether the manufacturer's mark was for Firmin & Sons or Fattorini - from the image in post no. 4 in this thread I take it that it's Firmin & Sons?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=9519