British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-18, 01:25 PM

Default Fusiliers (?) Button Identification - Help Needed

Can you please help to identify this button?
It looks like a fusiliers button, but I have no informations about it.
Thank you.

Regards,
Balazs

Old 26-02-18, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

It's not a British Army button and with the Cannons is an artillery button I suspect.
Old 26-02-18, 02:45 PM

Hello Balazs

Alan is quite right, not British Army and it is artillery, not fusiliers. It is a very common pattern used by many countries.

If there is a backmark this may give a clue as to the country of use, although many makers made buttons for use by the armies of other countries.

Roger
Old 26-02-18, 02:58 PM

Alan, Roger,

Thank you for your fast reply. It is interesting, the tunic looks like a 'guards pattern' tunic. I haven't received it yet, but I am going to check the reverse of the buttons after the tunic arrives.

Balazs

Old 26-02-18, 03:48 PM

The e-bay seller gave a full description.
Do you doubt his statement that it is pre 1900 Swiss Artillery?
Old 26-02-18, 04:29 PM

It is not that auction. In this case the description was about a British Army tunic and I have found that according to the description the back of the buttons marked as 'Firmin & Sons Ld - St Martins Lane', and the tunic has a stamp inside 'Inspected RMC 3 - 11 - 1911'.
Old 26-02-18, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsi View Post
It is not that auction. In this case the description was about a British Army tunic and I have found that according to the description the back of the buttons marked as 'Firmin & Sons Ld - St Martins Lane', and the tunic has a stamp inside 'Inspected RMC 3 - 11 - 1911'.
This is a link to "not that auction":
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253409876...m=253409876017

All I can comment on are the buttons. These are indeed correct for Swiss Artillery and as Roger has remarked 'many other countries'.
Old 26-02-18, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I have to agree, its not the same tunic.

the one in the ebay auction has moth holes and a large cut on the lower right side and a totally different collar.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-02-18, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Alan, Roger,

Thank you for your fast reply. It is interesting, the tunic looks like a 'guards pattern' tunic. I haven't received it yet, but I am going to check the reverse of the buttons after the tunic arrives.

Balazs

Balazs
The Tunic looks to have the Guards pattern lace. The collar and epaulettes look to be different, the metal grenades are wrong though.
Andy
Old 26-02-18, 08:01 PM

Gents,
Thank you for your comments. This is my tunic:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guards-Re...p2047675.l2557

I am a bit confused about the tunic what it is. British made buttons (Firmin), British stamp on it and Guards pattern lace, but it could be not British?
Old 26-02-18, 08:04 PM

I am thinking about the stamp on the inside. What RMC could be? Is it Royal Military College (Sandhurst or RMC Canada) or something else?
Old 26-02-18, 10:21 PM

Obviously, the fact that Firmin made the buttons (in Britain) does not mean that they were intended for use by British Army. Firmin made buttons for any country/army who placed an order.

There is always the possibility that the buttons have been replaced at some point. Your uniform may have been around for some time without buttons and those currently on it were placed there when used as a film/theatre prop for example.

I think it is safe to say that IF the uniform itself is British (and I am in no position to comment) then the buttons are not correct for a British tunic.

Roger
Old 27-02-18, 07:30 AM

Roger, thank you for your comment. So, the button doesn't help us to find the solution.
What do you think the abbreviation RMC stands for?
Old 27-02-18, 09:12 AM

I've found some interesting photos about Guards bandsman uniforms. All of them are from early 20th century.

Old 03-03-18, 08:17 AM

I have commented on this garment before on the Victorian Wars Forum at least a year ago. It is a Foot Guards (Grenadiers) ‘musicians’ (the distinction of Guards over other Army ‘bandsmen’ at the time), tunic from before WW1, when all members of the band had gold chest lace, rather than just the drum major as today. At that time collar badges and buttons were removed before old ‘(conditioned’) tunics were sold off. The current collar badge and buttons have been retrofitted and the latter are not British but from a Continental European state.