British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-18, 10:11 AM

Default 1894 Gloucestershire regiment 4th militia Bn question..

Dear all,

Does anyone have any idea what other ranks cap badge would have been worn in 1894 by the Gloucestershire regiment 4th Militia Battalion? Were they still wearing the glengarry or had they moved on to the new field service cap by then?

Very sorry if this query is a bit obscure....

Robin
Old 02-02-18, 04:25 PM

The field service cap (aka side hat) was introduced (phased in) in 1894 and regiments were initially ordered to wear a single collar badge (facing same way as other badges). In 1898 the purpose designed badges were introduced. Initially with a QVC these became more famous during WW1, when apart from the crown most designs (but not all) remained the same.
Old 03-02-18, 11:25 AM

Many thanks toby.. do you know how to distinguish between a Victorian collar badge and a later one? I going to try and find one from the right era.
Should I be looking for a left facing sphinx in nickel with two brass lugs?
Robin
Old 06-02-18, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWest View Post
Many thanks toby.. do you know how to distinguish between a Victorian collar badge and a later one? I going to try and find one from the right era.
Should I be looking for a left facing sphinx in nickel with two brass lugs?
Robin
Yes, the dies were largely the same other than when the crown changed. A key indicator for earlier badges is brass lugs/loops. A very few regiments adopted their own unique little badges rather than collars. Most were cavalry but a very small number were infantry. The Glosters wore the regulation collar badge, facing left, as ordered.
Old 07-02-18, 10:28 AM

Very much obliged Toby. I'll keep my open for one..
Robin
Old 08-02-18, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWest View Post
Very much obliged Toby. I'll keep my open for one..
Robin
One thing I inadvertently omitted to add is that the Militia had the lowest priority for new patterns of public funded kit and equipment and so in 1894 4th Glosters are much more likely to have been still wearing the glengarry and its appropriate badge. Apologies for any inconvenience if this has put a spanner in the works.
Old 08-02-18, 07:14 PM

A very minor point but the 'the purpose designed [cap] badges were introduced' between 1896 and 1898. The regular Gloucs Regt badge was one of the earlier issues - in 1896 (I have the exact date of authorisation somewhere) - as WO Pattern 4423/1896. The Volunteer and Militia Battalions sourced their own insignia and copied (the design at least) from the regular badges and did not have WO generated Pattern Numbers.
Old 08-02-18, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
A very minor point but the 'the purpose designed [cap] badges were introduced' between 1896 and 1898. The regular Gloucs Regt badge was one of the earlier issues - in 1896 (I have the exact date of authorisation somewhere) - as WO Pattern 4423/1896. The Volunteer and Militia Battalions sourced their own insignia and copied (the design at least) from the regular badges and did not have WO generated Pattern Numbers.
Julian

it is my understanding, from records and publications, that the militia had their uniforms and insignia issued at Public Expense by the RACD (some corps at reduced scale such as typically no full dress headdress for Fusilier Militia Battalions on cost saving grounds and often using-up older, patterns before receiving issue of newer ones).

Clothing patterns were essentially the same as the regular battalions, a small number of badges differed (omission of battle honours etc.) The research I see has the militia using the WO generated Pattern Numbers.

On volunteer battalions you are correct.

John
Old 09-02-18, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Thank you Julian, I do recall now that some early badges were introduced in 1896. It’s interesting to learn that the Gloucestershire Regiment was one of them.
Old 09-02-18, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
Julian

it is my understanding, from records and publications, that the militia had their uniforms and insignia issued at Public Expense by the RACD (some corps at reduced scale such as typically no full dress headdress for Fusilier Militia Battalions on cost saving grounds and often using-up older, patterns before receiving issue of newer ones).

Clothing patterns were essentially the same as the regular battalions, a small number of badges differed (omission of battle honours etc.) The research I see has the militia using the WO generated Pattern Numbers.

On volunteer battalions you are correct.

John
That is all my understanding too John. Thank you for posting those useful details.
Old 09-02-18, 12:14 PM

Whoops, yes you're right - I was too much fixated on VBs !
I think my basic minor point was that the various 'non regular' battalions would have taken their "cap badge" designs from the 'new' regular one.