British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-12-17, 12:50 PM

Default 24th Foot bandsman's badge

Hi Gents,
Picked this badge up yesterday, would appreciate any members being able to identify if this is an sleeve badge, wrist badge or maybe a cap badge worn by Bandsman of the 24th Foot. The badge is 53mm wide x 40mm tall.
Many Thanks in advance.
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2502.jpg (61.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2501.jpg (65.5 KB, 45 views)
Old 24-12-17, 12:52 PM

A nice looking badge. I know nothing about it though.
Andy
Old 27-12-17, 05:38 PM

The size and make up of the badge suggests a bandsman’s music case (aka Pouch) badge. These were unofficial and funded by the regiment’s themselves (usually from the officers’ band fund - a mandatory levy). It was not unusual for different battalions of the same regiment to have variations. See:
http://victorianwars.com/viewtopic.p...197228ef6a9de4
However, the badges were usually affixed by screw posts in order to go through the thickness of the buff leather. As for bandsman’s arm badges most battalions used the general issue badges in cloth and/or gilding metal, with some regiments, such as the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, modifying the design slightly to make it more specific.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 27-12-17 at 05:50 PM.
Old 27-12-17, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The size and make up of the badge suggests a bandsman’s music case (aka Pouch) badge. These were unofficial and funded by the regiment’s themselves (usually from the officers’ band fund - a mandatory levy). It was not unusual for different battalions of the same regiment to have variations. See:
http://victorianwars.com/viewtopic.p...197228ef6a9de4
However, the badges were usually affixed by screw posts in order to go through the thickness of the buff leather. As for bandsman’s arm badges most battalions used the general issue badges in cloth and/or gilding metal, with some regiments, such as the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, modifying the design slightly to make it more specific.
Toby,

Please could you elaborate or show an example of the RDF Bandsmans badge. Also which other Regiments modified them.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 28-12-17, 12:15 PM

Nice badge Colin and an interesting link Toby. Thank you both. Jeff

PS: Has anyone any idea of the date ?
Old 28-12-17, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Toby,

Please could you elaborate or show an example of the RDF Bandsmans badge. Also which other Regiments modified them.

regards
I was surprised to see them, but they were unmistakable. They were observed on a photo of a group of young bandsmen at the regimental depot around the time of WW1. The arm badge comprised the standard gm crowned harp but with the scroll from the regimental cap badge affixed to the base. I speculate that they were probably made up locally and only worn by the bandsmen at the depot.
Old 28-12-17, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I was surprised to see them, but they were unmistakable. They were observed on a photo of a group of young bandsmen at the regimental depot around the time of WW1. The arm badge comprised the standard gm crowned harp but with the scroll from the regimental cap badge affixed to the base. I speculate that they were probably made up locally and only worn by the bandsmen at the depot.
Toby,

Thanks, I have never seen one of those, and the other Regiments you mentioned, which are they, can you recall?

regards

Old 28-12-17, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Toby,

Thanks, I have never seen one of those, and the other Regiments you mentioned, which are they, can you recall?

regards
Simon,
Have a look at this thread.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ht=dublin+band

Tim
Old 28-12-17, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Simon,
Have a look at this thread.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ht=dublin+band

Tim
Tim,

An interesting RDF related badge thread but doesnt answer my queery that I posed Toby regarding his statement that other Regiments adapted the standard Bandsmans Badge to Regimental arrangements.

As a keen collector of arm badges I have a wide representation of the various Pattern Bandsman's arm badges but have never seen a Regimental one, different than the norm other than the RDF that has just been discussed.

I would love to see such examples.

regards

Old 29-12-17, 04:21 PM

Hi Gents,
Thanks for your opinions on the 24th of Foot badge. Just to confirm the badge is lugged and has never had screw posts to the rear.
Toby, thanks for the great link.
Many Thanks
Colin
Old 30-12-17, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Tim,

An interesting RDF related badge thread but doesnt answer my queery that I posed Toby regarding his statement that other Regiments adapted the standard Bandsmans Badge to Regimental arrangements.

As a keen collector of arm badges I have a wide representation of the various Pattern Bandsman's arm badges but have never seen a Regimental one, different than the norm other than the RDF that has just been discussed.

I would love to see such examples.

regards
Simon, I’m sorry for the delay in my reply. You specifically asked about the RDF badge that I explained, and that you have now seen in the old thread posted separately. Like you I have not seen other examples but used the term “such as” to indicate e.g. . My description was meant to refer only to the RDF badge as an ‘example’ of a regimentally modified badge, I do not know if there were others, but it appears possible given the obscurity of the RDF example.
It seems unclear whether the 24th badge that started this thread is a pre or post 1881 badge for pouch or arm, as the old precedence numbers continued as Battalion identifiers on some items unofficially for some time, especially where 1st and 2nd battalions with differing former precedence numbers had strong previous identities.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 23-01-18 at 12:24 PM.