British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-12-11, 11:07 AM

Default Member in Cebu, Philippines - research question

I noted a while ago that a member introduced themselves as "Hello World Cebu, PH and I would like to make contact with them but could not find the link. I own a very interesting American A-2 Flying Jacket with quite a history and posted it on the US Militaria Forum recently. I would be keen to learn if the site, or location of the Aircraft crash still exists in Cebu, even the air raid shelter mentioned in the report near to the crash. Also if there are any memorials to the aircrew or the 345th Bombardment Group. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g13.jpg (45.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-12-11, 07:20 PM

Hi Clive,
I am not of course the person you seek, but am quite familiar with the ww2 Philippines. My wife is Filipino and we return there regularly.
In spite of the scale of the war in PI, there is very little that remains to remind one of this other than certain major preserved areas such as Corregidor, Intramuros etc.
Major cities such as Cebu do of course have some monuments or plaques at locations where major events occurred, but no more than that.
The general location of the crash you mentioned and the air raid shelter has been completely changed and nothing remains from the time war.

CB
Old 03-12-11, 09:52 AM

Many thanks CB for your reply. I did have doubts that anything would remain and you have confirmed this. Having seen some of the wartime images of Cebu and other locations in the Philippines, and the general devastation, very understandable that there has been a great deal of redevelopment. I knew it was a bit of a long shot. Kind regards, Clive.