British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-15, 12:45 PM

Default transkei special forces insignia

As a part of the policy of Grand Apartheid, Transkei was granted Independence from South Africa in 1976. Like all self respecting states, Transkei needed a Defence Force with all the trappings. Initially South Africa had intended that they only have a Home Guard but gave into the request to have an Army. In 1982 the Defence Minister, George Matanzima announced the employment of about 30 Rhodesian military advisors to give direction and add professionalism to the Transkei military. This they did, and many of the badges had a distinctly Rhodesian look and feel.
I attach a few pictures of Transkei Special Forces items which came from an ex Oc of the unit. What I found particularly interesting were the jump wings which came in silver for officers and bronze for other ranks. The revelation ( to me at any rate) was that they were all issued numbered ( rather like the Selous Scout wings on which they were obviously modelled).
I was told that the beret badge was designed by Lt. Col. Ray Jompolo and a committee of Special Forces members. The same badge was used on the Stable belt buckle and a cloth version on the track suit badge.
"..the reason the leopard was chosen was that it was one of the only wild animals still living in the more remote, rocky areas of Transkei and is considered stealthy, cunning, resourceful, adaptable, a ferocious hunter and despite its power and speed of attack, can still change direction while in the air during its killing spring, making it able to still kill right up to the last minute. Thus this animal best represented the Special Forces.."
Regards
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tsf1.jpg (37.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg tsf2.jpg (50.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg tsf3.JPG (106.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg tsf4.jpg (26.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 22-06-15, 07:26 PM

Mike, thanks for the very interesting information.

I had a quick look at my own collection and am very disappointed to see that all my examples (3 pairs of bronze wings and a hallmarked silver example) are without numbers.

Regards
Craig
Old 23-06-15, 12:07 AM

I have one of each from a collection that was broken up nearly 20 years ago and I don't remember either being numbered. I'll have to look when I get a chance. Also, my silver one is voided between the wing and the parachute.
Must have been faking them from the early days
Thanks for the info Mike.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 14-07-15, 05:55 PM

I also have a bronze one unnumbered.
Dave
Old 20-07-15, 03:03 PM

Hi Mike, thank you very much. This was very insightful. I think that there is a distinct possibility that most that are in circulation are from the stores and never issued. These are the first 2 that I have seen with numbers on and that can be a possible reason. I know that the Transkei Special Forces Cap Badges are relatively easy to find, so likely they also came out of the stores. Transkei may have ordered many badges thinking they would last forever. These would have then come into circulation unissued. My thoughts anyway. Regards Andrew
Old 25-07-15, 02:13 PM

Just dug out my wings, no numbers as I thought. As you can see, the silver one is voided between the parachute and the wing.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (41.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (17.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (40.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (28.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (22.5 KB, 5 views)