British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-11, 06:23 PM

Default 9th Bengal Native Infantry

I bought this badge in central India a few years ago. I also bought some Great War period British Indian Army badges and a few memorial plaques to Indian soldiers. I was particularly pleased with the 9th BNI badge as it must date to 1857 or earlier as they mutinied and were disbanded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BNI.jpg (100.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 29-03-11, 06:26 PM

Here is the reverse. As you can see it has no slider so I am not sure if it is a cap badge. I have not been able to find out what head gear the sepoys of this regiment wore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BNIrev.jpg (96.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 29-03-11, 07:49 PM

Hi High Wood,
According to "Infantry Uniforms ....... 1742-1855" by Robert and Christopher Wilkinson-Latham, the 41st Bengal Native Infantry sepoys in 1855 wore a black felt pillbox hat, 2.5 in. high and 6.5 in. across the top. Brass numerals were worn at the front.
Your badge, very nice by the way, may have been worn on a crossbelt.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 30-03-11, 02:29 PM

What a lovely badge! However, I don't think it is pre-Mutiny, because of the general style and pin back, which would not be appropriate for a belt plate - they generally have screw backs.

Some food for thought here:

The 9th bengal N.I., who mutinied at Allygurh and Mynpoorie, were re-raised in 1861 as the 63rd N.I. However, the unit was briefly re-named "9th Bengal N.I." - from 1885 to 1894, at which point they became the 9th (Gurkha Rifle) Bengal Infantry. I believe that your badge dates from that decade.

The very high quality of the badge suggests to me that it was made in England, as an Officer's badge, perhaps for a mess servant or -less likely - a Viceroy's Commissioned Officer. By 1885 many British officers wore the headgear of their troops in some orders of dress and to me the pin back suggests a pagri [turban] badge, either to a BO or VCO. Either way, a very fine piece. Definitely a keeper!

My tuppence worth
Peter
Old 30-03-11, 04:58 PM

Hi,
The badge is in fact an officers headress badge worn 1861-1882. This unit eventually become the 9th Gurkha Rifles. The broach pin was sometimes used as the pinned to the pugaree worn on the outside of the helmet. They become the 9th BNI on 3rd may 1861, 9th Bengal infantry in 1885 and 9th gurkha (BNI) 1893, and finally 9th Gurkha rifles 1901

A very nice badge
regards Steve
Old 30-03-11, 07:10 PM

"The 9th bengal N.I., who mutinied at Allygurh and Mynpoorie, were re-raised in 1861 as the 63rd N.I. However, the unit was briefly re-named "9th Bengal N.I." - from 1885 to 1894, at which point they became the 9th (Gurkha Rifle) Bengal Infantry. I believe that your badge dates from that decade."

Is there any documentary evidence of the badge worn by the original 9th Bengal Native Infantry? I ask this because the battle honours shown on the badge relate to the pre-mutiny 9th BNI. Would the original battle honours be shown on a badge belonging to a later regiment renumbered as the 9th BNI or is it likely that the original honours would be reinstated to a unit that mutinied?

Last edited by High Wood; 30-03-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 30-03-11, 07:21 PM

Having just googled the battle of Sobraon (1846) I am even more confused as the 9th BNI were not present but the 63rd BNI were. It seems that the battle honours relate to the 63rd BNI which indicates that this badge does indeed date from the brief period that the 63rd were renumbered as the 9th BNI.
Old 30-03-11, 08:28 PM

Sorry High Wood, but as my original post. Unlike the original 9th, the 63rd were not disbanded but 'disarmed' at Berhampore during the mutiny and remained so for over 2 years. they were made up to strength from sepoys from other disbanded units mainly the 52 NI and rearmed. On 25th May 1861 they become the 9th BNI (G.G.O 990 29/10/1861) This was due to 54 of the senior Regts being disbanded and moving up the ladder. There was nothing short about the period. They were the 9th BNI for 32 years, 9th Bengal Infantry for 16 years and still remain the 9th GR 110 years. Not bad service. The battle honours on the badge were earned by the 63rd in 1826 & 1846. The 1823 on the badge relates to the raising of the Regt as the 32nd BNI.

Source; Regt history 9 Gurkha Rifles, Gurkha museum, Insignia 9th GR (9GR D6) & Linage and composition Brigade of Gurkhas.
Date of badge is as I stated. OR's wore a simple Brass '9'.
Regard
Steve M
Old 01-04-11, 03:34 AM

Thank you for the clarification. Despite my badge not being pre-mutiny I am still very pleased with it.

Thank you for taking the time to outline the lineage of the 9th Bengal Native Infantry, it is appreciated.

Simon.
Old 01-04-11, 08:16 PM

Simon,
no trouble, it's a very very nice and desirable badge. I think its better than a pre mutiny badge as it is from the early days of a Gurkha regt and a regt that stayed loyal to boot (although doubted) The lineage of the Indian regts is very confusing to say the least. Gurkha Regts are my thing and if you want any help or copies of sources please feel free to PM me. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Steve
Old 04-02-18, 06:54 AM

Default 9TH BENGAL NI

the 9th bengal native infantry ceased to exist after 1857 . so the post 1857 9 BNI had absolutely no connection with the new upstart 9 BNI.

now the difference is subtle . some units that partially rebelled and were not disbanded or totally disintegrate retained their old battle honours.

major agha h amin (retired)
11 cavalry (old pavocavalry)

https://www.amazon.com/Sepoy-Rebelli...epoy+rebellion
Old 25-02-18, 11:42 AM

Thank you for the additional information Major Amin.
Old 25-02-18, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
The lineage of the Indian regts is very confusing to say the least.
But there are documents online that try to explain it: https://hcvv.home.xs4all.nl/milweb/B...dia/index.html

Mainly based on Boris Mollo's The Indian Army and Regiments.org.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages