British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-10-13, 11:59 AM

Thank you very much for the comprehensive & most interesting answers. They are much appreciated & have more than answered my original question.

I have only just found the answer as the original question was moved & I couldn't find it :-)

Thanks again,

Mark F
Old 07-10-13, 02:00 PM

Hello Dudley,
Where did you get the woven title from and how did you date it, I don't think that I've ever seen a WW2 example that was not embriodered.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madziro View Post
This is the cap badge as worn by a Rhodesian officer attached to the RAF. Given to me while still living in Rhodesia by its original wearer. ORs wore brass badge as attached in the war. (Apologies for poor image quality) The Rhodesian Staff Corps badge was often worn as a collar badge on RAF uniforms. Rhodesia titles were also worn on RAF uniforms as attached.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 07-10-13 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-10-13, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hello Dudley,
Where did you get the woven title from and how did you date it, I don't think that I've ever seen a WW2 example that was not embriodered.
Kind regards Frank
I have quite an interest in cloth shoulder titles (RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces) from the last war, and have about 600 examples. The majority were woven, but other types include 'bevo weave', which is the silk thread on rayon as per the Rhodesia titles in the earlier post, printed and I have even a couple of flocked. These last ones are bizarre, but wartime as far as I know and Commonwealth. I also have at least one printed on wool.
Old 08-10-13, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
I have quite an interest in cloth shoulder titles (RAF and Commonwealth Air Forces) from the last war, and have about 600 examples. The majority were woven, but other types include 'bevo weave', which is the silk thread on rayon as per the Rhodesia titles in the earlier post, printed and I have even a couple of flocked. These last ones are bizarre, but wartime as far as I know and Commonwealth. I also have at least one printed on wool.
Sounds like an amazing collection. That would be interesting to se.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-10-13, 07:32 AM

Really? I've never seen a WW2 woven Rhodesia example before and I've collected quite a number of 44 Squadron groups over the years, its often difficult to see particular detail of a shoulder title in a group photograph, but, it is much easier with a portrait and all those that I have seen very clearly show embroidered titles.

Quote:
Old 09-10-13, 07:48 AM
Banned

Frank, both the bevo weave and printed were economy versions. Not as common, but generally speaking, not rare in themselves. As with all titles, certain ones are rare in any form.

Alex, I was sure I had posted pics before, and after a search I've found them. Go to the Brit RAF and RFC section, and look for the thread 'Photos of Shoulder Titles'. Most are in there although I've added some since.

Somewhere, I also have an unpublished article I wrote about RAF titles, which runs to about 17 pages.
Old 09-10-13, 08:07 AM

Hullo Frank

The SRAF officers cap badge is plain on the reverse. It has typical "woven" cloth (black), reminiscent of WW2 air crew brevets. The woven shoulder title comes from a bloke who served at the time. I have the pair of them but the dreaded "old age syndrome" creeps in and I cannot remember the blokes name.

Kind regards

Dudley
Old 09-10-13, 06:47 PM

The following may be of interest to those who like air force items of WW2 in Rhodesia. The attached photos are of items given to me by this mans son who served in the SAAF. He was ground crew in Gwelo during the war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAF tunic WW2 Gwelo.jpg (90.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RAF side cap.jpg (57.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg LAC Burt Gwelo.jpg (53.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg LAC Burt Gwelo service record.jpg (86.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg LAC Burt Gwelo Service and release book.jpg (91.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg LAC Burt Gwelo photo reverse.jpg (48.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-10-13, 09:47 AM

Well gentlemen, I both live and learn, it would appear, I had never seen any WW2 Rhodesia air force titles made using the Beteiligung Vorsteher type woven method, I have of course seen other British and Commonweath badges made in this way, but, they tend to be very late war or post war.
Regards to you both,
Frank Kelley
Old 08-06-14, 11:29 PM

Default Rhodesian pilot

I know this a late post. Here the former prime minister.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 27-06-14, 11:44 AM
Banned

One of the many variations of badge worn, the General Southern Rhodesian, worn by Flying Officer Panico Theodosiou. Joined the SRAF mid 1940 and later flew Hurricanes with 237 Squadron.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac0003.jpg (50.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 27-06-14, 11:47 AM
Banned

The matching collars were also frequently worn by SRAF crews...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (24.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2214.jpg (86.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 27-06-14, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Alex, I was sure I had posted pics before, and after a search I've found them. Go to the Brit RAF and RFC section, and look for the thread 'Photos of Shoulder Titles'. Most are in there although I've added some since.
Hi SAS1
Sorry, just saw this now, been off the forum for a while. Found the old post, superb collection, thanks.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 01-07-14, 07:11 PM

Default Southern Rhodesia Air Force Cap badges

image.jpg

Hi guys,

Here's my contribution to this thread.. Only reason there are 3 of the 'same' is to show they were probably made in North Africa and being of local manufacture each badge will look different so not different patterns at all.. The top badge I'm not sure of its use or if original at all is recorded in Mark Radfords book.. Regards
Old 02-07-14, 12:35 PM
Banned

The top one looks to be hand made from an RAF WOs beret badge, a post war Rhodesian side cap badge and a cloth backing.