British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-03-08, 05:26 PM

Default Interesting array of insignia

Here is a photo I received yesterday. I have been asked if I can post it on my site as the Officer is unidentified.

His insignia is that of a Captain in the Irish Regt of Canada. He sports what appears to be ribbons for 1914-15 Star, War and Victory Medals, plus ED. Further to this is the RCAF wing. The shoulder formation patch has me a bit lost, as I have not got access to my references at the moment.

Any and all comments are appreciated on this one guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unknown Officer (Small).JPG (74.1 KB, 235 views)

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 02-03-08, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Default 6th Div Canadian Army WW2

Hi Cliff, The formation patch appears to be the 6th Division. (Red over blue). The 6th Division was a home defence formation serving on the Pacific coast.
Old 02-03-08, 07:55 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default The Irish

Yes this is an interesting photo,obviously the fellow was a WW 1 vet,curiously I don't see a voluntry service medal,must be an early photo of ww 2,That certainly looks like a 6th div patch I don't know if a 7th would show up that well,I might. Where they served between Sept 1st 1939 when they were placed on active service and 28th of oct 1942 when they went overseas I don't know, also didn't know they wore white on the hackle. Speaking of the Irish I have a nice battle dress from a fellow that worked with me wound stripes & all very pleated in the back,my two cherished pieces'that & the Carleton & York. Nice photo Irish
Ray
Old 03-03-08, 04:45 AM

Verbal orders were received from H.Q. M.D.#2 to mobilize for duty as a CASF unit on June 7 1940. Confirmation in writing was received on June 10 1940 from H.Q. M.D.#2.

From Sept1939 until mobilization June 1940, the Regiment supplied Guard units at Camp Borden, the Base at Weston Ontario and the Hamilton Airport.

After training was completed, the moved to Nova Scotia Halifax, Debert, York Redoubt, etc, and a small detachment went to Gaspe Quebec. The Regt embarked for the UK on October 28 1942, then to Italy on October 27, 1943.
These dates were not off the top of my head, although I had a very close idea. I had to refer to my website to get them.

I do suspect very very strongly that this Officer was 2nd Bn. In my opinion he would have been too old for active service with the Regt in the Field. Certainly none of the Vets recall him.

The Hackle he is sporting is an Officers only hackle, its not really a hackle at all, it more resembles a shaving brush. I have a photo of the 2nd Bn Adjutant Major Gee, also a WWI vet, he wears the same brush. I can not recall correct name for these.

If you ever decide to part with the Irish Tunic, by all means let me know.

Old 03-03-08, 06:48 AM

I am I right in thinking the officers tie is patterned rather than plain?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-03-08, 04:31 AM

I suspect the subject of this photo took a few liberties in regards to the tie. No one in the Veterans Association can ID the tie. It has been suggested by many that the Officer enhanced his appearance somewhat.

On another note...Bill Many many thanks, I just realized YES the 6th Reserve. The Irish were a little late in going active. from 03-September 1939 until 23-May 1940, the Regiment was part of the Reserve Force. I think this may have narrowed down the search a bit for a time frame of the photo and thus a narrower focus on the Officers ID.

Old 24-05-08, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
I suspect the subject of this photo took a few liberties in regards to the tie. No one in the Veterans Association can ID the tie. It has been suggested by many that the Officer enhanced his appearance somewhat.

On another note...Bill Many many thanks, I just realized YES the 6th Reserve. The Irish were a little late in going active. from 03-September 1939 until 23-May 1940, the Regiment was part of the Reserve Force. I think this may have narrowed down the search a bit for a time frame of the photo and thus a narrower focus on the Officers ID.
Are there records of Canadian officers wearing tartan ties?

Some years ago I read of a Canadian officer being seen wearing a tartan tie on the beaches at Dieppe, and it stuck in my mind.
Old 25-05-08, 04:13 AM

I have done some further research in regards to the tie in the photo. Nothing on paper yet, however the Irish Officers did have a special tie authorized for wear. I am still digging through things at the Archives, however it does not appear very promising. I may NOW have my excuse to return to Sudbury for further research.

Old 09-01-18, 08:50 PM

Default Irish Regiment of Canada Tie

Came across this old thread. I have an example of the tie mentioned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1515586308859-1004100175.jpg (81.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by irishhorse; 10-01-18 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I think I saw one in a thrift store a couple of years ago.....didn't investigate thoroughly.