British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-09-16, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4966Ian View Post
Hi there,

Sorry forgot to say that the details of the KC button that I have are as follows:
- Gilt / Open Back
- Diameter = 26.2mm
- Backmark = PITT & Co . 31. MADDOX St LONDON

(I have also amended the post further up for future reference)

Cheers

Ian
Mine is identical. Roger's button is slightly earlier by the sound of it but with a KC and backmark which is usually pre mid 1890's.

Don't you just love buttons!!!

David
Old 22-09-16, 11:21 AM

Hi Chaps

In HR's latest "Button Lines" article on Mess Waiters buttons, he includes Northamptonshire Regt.

He shows the 1st Battalion button which we all seem to have.

He also shows the "58" button which I have and described above, he has this as 58th Foot.

Unfortunately, he doesn't show the button which was the subject of the original post.

So, where does that leave us? To my mind, given that the lst Bn had their own button, I'm sure the 2nd Bn must have had also.

I think the 2nd Bn button was either the "58" button as I originally thought or perhaps Ian's button shown in the original post. Quite possibly both - the "58" replaced by Ian's button. That's all conjecture though!

David
Old 11-11-16, 11:03 AM

Hi there,

Sorry for the thread resurrection but just for completeness, I thought I should post this.
I was lucky enough to pick up the following button recently. It is a smaller version of the button I posted in Post #1. It still doesn't help positively ID the button but at least shows there was another size/variant available.
The button's details are:

Gilt - Closed Back
Diameter = 18.8mm
Backmark = FIRMIN & SONS Ld LONDON

An interesting point is that this smaller button doesn't have a flag flying from the middle turret. Presumably a manufacturers variation/mistake.

Cheers

Ian
Old 11-11-16, 12:21 PM

Hello Ian

I am sure you are right about the lack of a flag being just a maker's variation or mistake.

Some while back there was an article in Button Lines where variations were noted in respect of buttons of fifty of the line regiments, some with a staggering variety of 'mistakes' or 'makers' variations'!

Unless anyone can come up with some different information, I am still inclined to think that the button in question is for the 2nd Battalion, The Northamptonshire Regiment.

Roger
Old 11-11-16, 07:00 PM

Hi Roger,

Yes, I agree with you on it in all likelihood belonging to the 2nd Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment.

Well that is until the next installment of Howard's articles on Mess Waiter buttons proves/disproves our theory.

All the best

Ian

Tags
button, gibraltar, montis insignia calpe