British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-08-11, 10:28 AM

Default Royal Marine Labour Corps

Hello, I am currently looking for a RMLC cap badge, I know that this has been highly reproduced. Does anyone have any tips on spotting an original? Any advice would be gratefuly received.

Best Wishes Dave Moore
Old 02-08-11, 10:42 AM

Dave, look for a specimen which is clearly old brass, has voids around the globe and between the laurels and has a small plaque thinggy at the rear where the ship meets the globe, sort of a strengthening.
I've only ever seen two in fifteen years - one priced at ... £400 and the other a couple of years later at ... £600 !

Good luck !
Old 02-08-11, 01:24 PM

Dave

If you PM me with your email I will send you some pics. I have PDF files, and can't upload anything over about 12KB. No idea why? Tiny file size limit!

There was the first badge, being just the globe with separate RMLC underneath. Circa 1916

The second badge 1916-19 is the one you are after. Sunray is bang on, and I would add the detail on the ship is important - quite distinct. You will see when you get the photo.

Out of interest, there are 2 variations of titles. One with the "L" and "C" not joined, and the "joined" one. Again, you will see when sent.

I have quite a few variations of the Submarine Miners and Engineers, if interested. Just PM me.

Regards, Neil
Old 02-08-11, 01:36 PM

Default Converted to JPG

Dave

Have managed to convert these, so should be OK now.... not sure about the quality. Taken through glass I'm afraid....
Cheers, Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMLC1.jpg (37.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg RMLC2.jpg (50.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg RMLC3.jpg (39.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-08-11, 04:25 PM

Default Thankyou both for your help

Thankyou both for your help, I have now got a much better idea as to what I am searching for. I didn't realise how scarce the badges are and how much they command. The one I was looking at is definitely a restrike although well made, so I will continue searching.

Thank you both Dave Moore.
Old 03-08-11, 07:25 AM

Default RMLC uniform

Hello again, I understand that the RMLC was maned from men from the ASC selected to serve in Britain, did they continue to wear army uniform or adopt Marine/navy attire? How big did the corps eventually become? did they only work on naval projects? and did they eventually go abroad? I would also be interested to know if any picture exist of the RMLC.

Best wishes Dave Moore.
Old 03-08-11, 10:48 AM

David, two ASC companies were transferred to the Royal Marines on 2nd Feb. 1917 forming the Royal Marines Labour Corps. The then C.O. was Maj. J.F.Cable, A.S.C. an expert in all dock matters and was granted a commission in the RM. The idea of forming the RMLC arose from the need to man various docks for the unloading, distribution and expansion of stores into France.
Recruiting was opened throughout the ports of England, men pouring in !
Only men over the age of 41 were enlisted and the opportunity of men between 50 and 60 willingly volunteered, including many ex RM and soldiers.
Gradually they were clothed in blue serge uniforms minus the usual red stripe down the trousers, their distinctive cap badge replaced the RMLI cap badge later.
It seems the unit was finally demobilised in 1919.

Ritchie.
Old 03-08-11, 10:58 AM

Further, seems the total strength was -
1 Lt. Col.
12 Captains
44 Lieutenants
5 CSM's
112 C/Sgts and Sgts.
531 Corporals.
4205 Privates ... RMLI ranks were later attached.

Ritchie.
Old 03-08-11, 11:53 AM

Default Thanks

Thankyou Ritchie,

very informative, a very interesting concept. Living in Norfolk Royal Marine items come up for sale at the coast quite often, so I will search with vigour. Some of my favourite badges come from obscure corps and I look forward to finding an original.

Many thanks Dave Moore
Old 16-04-14, 08:48 PM

Default WW1 Royal Marines Labour Corps

Hi all

Does the Royal Marines Labour Corps have both lugged and slidered versions?
Does anyone have a pic of the rear of a genuine one, lugged (and/or slidered)?

Thanks

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 17-04-14, 07:54 PM

Colin

I don't believe original versions of these badges had a slider fitted, I believe they should always be lugged. I have only ever seen 2 that I would consider to be genuine versions, they both had lugs and a strengthening piece at the back between the ship and top of the globe. The other obvious clue is that genuine examples should have 4 voids around the outside of the globe. I have attached a front and back picture of one held by the RM Museum, unfortunately someone removed the lugs as it was easier to fit the badge onto the display board that way. As I said, I have only ever seen 2 that I would consider as genuine and the last one went for just over £300.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9292.jpg (64.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9294.jpg (64.0 KB, 107 views)
Old 18-04-14, 01:32 AM

Nice one Paddy

Colin. Not my area really, but I have attached a couple of pics I received ages ago showing the two versions, plus titles. These are from a very old renowned collection. The version on the left was slidered, but I cannot say for the other as I was unfortunately only provided with front pics.

To my mind, little doubt as to the originality of these.
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMLC1.jpg (42.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg RMLC3.jpg (44.3 KB, 41 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RMLC2.pdf (242.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Neil Pearce; 18-04-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 18-04-14, 10:22 AM

Neil and Paddy -
thanks for your responses and pics!
Very interesting.
Didn't realise they were that rare, and never knew about the strengthener. (As seen on the left badge of Paddy's pic, it would have been well justified!)

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 18-04-14, 11:54 AM

For me, on of my holy grail's of badges. Resigned never to have one......

Simon.
Old 18-04-14, 12:12 PM

Like Colin I didn't realise this badge was that rare ,not in my field of collecting as yet just a question would the strengthener be present on all 100% badges? One to look out for now

Gerard