British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-11-14, 07:38 PM

Default 81st Regiment of Foot ??????

Hello Could anyone comment on this Victorian CDV I bought some time ago. I was hoping it was a West Yorks Regiment because of the Rose on the collars; But upon looking through a glass I see the number 81 next to the Rose. Could this be the 81st Regiment of foot or the Loyal Lincoln Volunteers.
The 2nd Photograph looks very much like a soldier from the York and Lanks Regt. Any Comments Please,

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:07 AM.
Old 25-11-14, 07:47 PM

The first one is not military, its a police officer or at a pinch a prison officer.

Cant see any detail on the 2nd.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-11-14, 07:55 PM

I agree with Simon, the first picture looks very prison like.

Re the second picture, if it were a York and Lancs soldier, I would expect to see a Tiger as a collar badge but unfortunately the picture is not quite clear enough.

Ivan
Old 25-11-14, 08:34 PM

Hi Yorkie

The first one is almost certainly West Riding Constabulary.

Second one, as Ivan says, if it's a rose/tiger it's probably York & Lancs. It's very indistinct but looks like it could be a tiger.

David

Going back to the WRC photo, it probably dates c.1880's, give or take a few years. The chevrons on his cuff are rank. if there are 3 = Sgt. I think the other badges on his sleeve relate to service and/or pay grade.

I'm not sure if the shako/ kepi was worn all year round or not at that time. From at least the 1890's it was only worn for part of the year, a helmet being worn for the rest of the year.

The buttons on his tunic would be a rose surrounded by the force title. His collar badges are a rose along with his collar number. The buttons and collar badges remained the same right up to 1968 but they were white metal at the time of the photo, changing to chrome from c.1930's. The numbers were transferred to the shoulder straps with the introduction of the open-necked tunic but they were still known as "collar numbers".

Hope this helps!

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 28-11-14 at 02:22 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 26-11-14, 03:07 PM

Many thanks, Simon, Ivan and David. The above Photographs came to me in a group of over 20 I purchaed via ebay some time ago and only just recently got a second look at them, Most of them were Early Leeds Rifles and I guess some unknown Volunteers but all with Leeds or Bradford Photographers.
I very much appreciate the time you guys put into it for me.
Old 26-11-14, 06:25 PM

Happy to help, Yorkie!

I've sent a reply to your PM.

David
Old 27-11-14, 12:21 PM

I agree with the above assessments and would add that the policeman is a Station Sergeant (3 inverted chevrons lower right sleeve). The soldier is York and Lancs and wearing a Home Service Frock (7-buttons) as opposed to a tunic which would have been piped. The regiment's first collar badge was a tiger and then the pattern changed to have the rose added, thus representing both the forming units.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 30-11-14 at 12:37 AM.
Old 27-11-14, 05:17 PM

But what is the "scroll" or whatever over the three chevrons anybody please?

Or is it a blemish?
Old 27-11-14, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
But what is the "scroll" or whatever over the three chevrons anybody please?

Or is it a blemish?
The scroll scroll reads MERIT. cheers Andy.
Old 27-11-14, 11:28 PM

Default Merit Badge

As Andy has said, the scroll is a Merit Badge. Many forces used these but the design of badge used varied greatly, as did what it actually represented. A few other Yorkshire forces used the same pattern badge, I think Doncaster did for one. It was also used elsewhere, I think Glamorgan used the same or similar.

As regards what rank the 3 chevrons represent, it depends very much on when the photo was taken. As far as WRC is concerned, originally all WRC Sgts wore 3 inverted chevs on the cuff and there was no rank of Station Sgt. I think the Met was the first force to introduce a Station Sgt rank (c.1870's) and it was subsequently adopted by many other forces. I'm not sure if WRC adopted the rank before the chevrons were changed to point down on the upper arm or not, would be interested to know though.

David
Old 30-11-14, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
As Andy has said, the scroll is a Merit Badge. Many forces used these but the design of badge used varied greatly, as did what it actually represented. A few other Yorkshire forces used the same pattern badge, I think Doncaster did for one. It was also used elsewhere, I think Glamorgan used the same or similar.

As regards what rank the 3 chevrons represent, it depends very much on when the photo was taken. As far as WRC is concerned, originally all WRC Sgts wore 3 inverted chevs on the cuff and there was no rank of Station Sgt. I think the Met was the first force to introduce a Station Sgt rank (c.1870's) and it was subsequently adopted by many other forces. I'm not sure if WRC adopted the rank before the chevrons were changed to point down on the upper arm or not, would be interested to know though.

David
Thanks David, that extra detail is very interesting. It would be good to know more about the usage of station sergeant as a superior grade.
Old 30-11-14, 02:31 PM

Hello Toby

As regards Station Sergeant, it's hard to be specific . In the early days whether a rank was used, what duties it entailed and what insignia was worn would be at the discretion of individual Chief Constables. Having said that, many forces took their lead from the Metropolitan Police. I think they were the first force to use the rank, it would have been introduced in the early 1870's. The rank was held by the senior sergeant at a particular police station. In later years it tended to be used more as a "reward" for long serving Sgt 's who wished to retain Sgt rank rather than be promoted. Of course, in many cases such an officer would be the senior Sgt at a station but by this time it had become the norm for a Sgt to be promoted direct to Insp without having first held S/Sgt rank.

The Met Station Sergeants originally wore 4 chevrons. They were worn points down on the upper arm from the start or from early on at least. In the early 1920's this was changed to a crown above 3 chevrons, also worn points down on the upper arm. This was usually the insignia worn by other forces which used the rank.

David
Old 03-12-14, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
Hello Toby

As regards Station Sergeant, it's hard to be specific . In the early days whether a rank was used, what duties it entailed and what insignia was worn would be at the discretion of individual Chief Constables. Having said that, many forces took their lead from the Metropolitan Police. I think they were the first force to use the rank, it would have been introduced in the early 1870's. The rank was held by the senior sergeant at a particular police station. In later years it tended to be used more as a "reward" for long serving Sgt 's who wished to retain Sgt rank rather than be promoted. Of course, in many cases such an officer would be the senior Sgt at a station but by this time it had become the norm for a Sgt to be promoted direct to Insp without having first held S/Sgt rank.

The Met Station Sergeants originally wore 4 chevrons. They were worn points down on the upper arm from the start or from early on at least. In the early 1920's this was changed to a crown above 3 chevrons, also worn points down on the upper arm. This was usually the insignia worn by other forces which used the rank.

David
Thank you. That is very interesting and I would love to get a book on the evolution of Police ranks. My grandfather was in the Berkshire Constabulary ( I have various old photos of him in uniform) and my father was in the BTP and various cousins in the Met.