British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-05-11, 12:10 PM

Default Ebay & Fakes

I have just been reading the thread by Rhodesianmilitaria and was curious if anyone knows how eBay reacts to emails about fake items. Does the 'report item' link do anything at all, or do you just get an automated email back? Or is it as I suspect - nothing happens. Does anyone have a tried and tested method of removing an item from eBay if the seller is uncommunicative.

Ben
Old 31-05-11, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren39 View Post
Does anyone have a tried and tested method of removing an item from eBay if the seller is uncommunicative.

Ben
Buying it?

Phil
Old 31-05-11, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Buying it?

Phil
Wouldn't that be nice to have enough money to remove fakes by just buying them all up.
Old 31-05-11, 01:01 PM
Banned

My experience is that ebay states that they will investigate the complaint about the seller or the item that is listed, but ebay states that the complainant will probably not be told the result.
In the two of the three cases I complained to ebay about I never heard anything back and the seller continued to list them. In regard to one item, that listing was ended overnight but that was illegal to sell that item in Australia.

In regard to fakes being listed it really is a waste of time informing the sellers. In five years this is roughly the response I have received.

70% ignore what you say.
10% thank you for informing them but never change anything on the listing.
10% thank you and correct the listing so it tells the truth.
10% tell you sex and travel and verbally threaten you and carry on like a pork chop.

So every 100 people you contact only 10 do the right thing.
Old 31-05-11, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
In regard to fakes being listed it really is a waste of time informing the sellers.
I wouldn't say it is a waste of time if you are getting 10% results - time consuming yes but not a waste of time.
Old 31-05-11, 01:31 PM
Banned

Please remember that ebay exists to make money - in particular for themselves ! I have complained a total of 42 tmes about one particular high-powered UK seller who, despite showing items sold, re-lists them shortly afterwards. This seller clearly has one or more additional IDs to 'buy' his items. No action has ever been taken by ebay simply because this seller pays a small fortune in listing fees, final value fees and (probably) PayPal fees. Few of this seller's items are low priced, often into four figures, so you can see ebay's vested interest in keeping him selling ! Believe me, you are on a hiding to nothing expecting ebay to police the selling of fakes - or even sharp selling practices like buying-in your own items.
Old 31-05-11, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
Please remember that ebay exists to make money - in particular for themselves ! I have complained a total of 42 tmes about one particular high-powered UK seller who, despite showing items sold, re-lists them shortly afterwards. This seller clearly has one or more additional IDs to 'buy' his items. No action has ever been taken by ebay simply because this seller pays a small fortune in listing fees, final value fees and (probably) PayPal fees. Few of this seller's items are low priced, often into four figures, so you can see ebay's vested interest in keeping him selling ! Believe me, you are on a hiding to nothing expecting ebay to police the selling of fakes - or even sharp selling practices like buying-in your own items.
Has the forum tried as a collective to take down an item e.g. every forum member with an eBay account hit the 'report an item' link . I do realise this tactic has flaws and could be abused due to opinions and maybe get the forum into hot water.
Old 31-05-11, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren39 View Post
Has the forum tried as a collective to take down an item e.g. every forum member with an eBay account hit the 'report an item' link . I do realise this tactic has flaws and could be abused due to opinions and maybe get the forum into hot water.
I applaud your idea but I'm afraid that my original opinion still stands - ebay really just doesn't give a damn !
Old 31-05-11, 02:11 PM

The only times that I know Ebay has taken action are for:
1. Fake items with big brand names, ie Adidas, Nike, Armani etc
2. Illegal or banned items, ie knives, ivory, animal skins etc

This is because they are scared of being sued by the big corporations or Government bodies, for the other items I think they don't bother as it's one persons word against another, but if a lot of people complained about an item at the same time then maybe they would take notice
Lee
Old 31-05-11, 04:25 PM
Former Member

I contacted two seperate sellers who were listing Gaunt B'ham marked badges as genuine WW1 items over the weekend... Both reacted positively and removed/altered the items or their description! Not all ebay sellers are villains and a polite e-mail often has the desired effect... So I do not think it a waste of time in contacting the sellers of "unintentionally" misdescribed items... after all they benefit in the long term.. I do think the ebay reporting system is a lost cause though, for the reasons outlined above.. going straight to the seller has more results. Mind you a Git is a Git and some are just out and out liars..

Andy
Old 31-05-11, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
I'm not sure about fake brand items but illegal or banned items are easy to recognise for ebay staff as such. Unlike obscure military badges...
In case a buyer is unhappy about the authenticity and discusses the item on a forum like this, they will accept the expertise of the forum.
Old 31-05-11, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post

This is because they are scared of being sued by the big corporations or Government bodies, for the other items I think they don't bother as it's one persons word against another, but if a lot of people complained about an item at the same time then maybe they would take notice
Lee
You are absolutely right ! I too have only had success in the two categories you have indicated. If your complaint doesn't fit into the very tight 'reasons' given by ebay then you are wasting your time. At the end of the day, you use ebay at our own risk.
Old 08-06-11, 11:48 PM
Banned

In relation to this thread and one recently that discussed whether a seller should be made aware of an item that he is under selling. I contacted an EBay seller last week to point out that he had mis-described a badge that he was offering.

The badge was a sought after item that had been mistaken for a more common run of the mill one.

The reason that I did this was that although we are often quick to point out an error on any badge that we may consider less than 100%.

I had made the mistake of buying a duff badge from the seller previously and he was genuinely mortified when this was pointed out to him, in fact he refunded me twice what I had paid him for the badge plus postage and asked me to keep the badge for disposal.

I felt it only fair to give him the heads up on this occaision and as a member of the forum was pleased to be in a position to provide a positive service based on the knowledge that I have gained from being a member.

As Andy says, some mistakes are genuine and I feel it is refreshing to know that not all sellers are out to make a buck at any cost.

I may have upset a couple of bidders in the process of my actions but do feel that fair play was applied in this case to a genuine seller.

Regards to all.

Ry