British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-11, 09:43 PM

Cool K&K

I think that many forum members would do well to get a copy of Kipling and King and read the chapter written by Laurie Archer on restrikes, althought written some thirty plus years ago, Lauries observations and wisdom still hold good today.
Old 13-05-11, 11:28 PM

Default K&K Chapter on Restrikes

Hi Sonofacqms,
Totally concur. I've tried to do my small share with guides on e-Bay and a blog site, both with extensive articles on the subject. The blog site is: http://www.arnhemjim.blogspot.com. See article on British Militaria and archived page on British Cap Badges, the First Restrikes - Fox & Co. Unfortunately, and as I point out in detailed photos, a collector today almost needs a degree in forensic science to gain any level of confidence in dividing the wheat from the chaff.
Regards,
Jim
Old 14-05-11, 06:41 AM

I agree with Rob.

Couple of quotes from K and K Vol 2 ( first published in 1979 ) Chapter 20-

" Human nature being what it is, such a set of circumstances ( lack of original items) could lead to one conclusion only,inevitably some bright
entrepreur was going to produce the supply to meet the demand, and someone did ! Today the manufacture of restrikes and reproductions is a sizeable industry with firms producing anything from cap badges to shako plates.Supporting it is a network of large and small dealers who hawk the material as original and at very fancy prices"

".....beware of the dealer who consistantly offers a large number of scare and rare badges.If stocks of more common badges were running out back in 1970,ask yourself how there come to be so many rare badges available now "

" If a dealer sells to you,or someone you know, a badge that proves to be a restrike drop him like the proverbial brick.These people can survive only as long as you, the collector,support them"

All true in 1979 and equally true today.

Laurie Archer produced postal lists in the mid 1970`s and used to list examples of restike badges that he came across , unfortunatley I did not keep copies of his lists but I recall the the lists of restrikes were large.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 29-05-11, 10:05 PM

Cool Replies . . !

Amazing . . !

205 hits on this thread and only 2 replies, I guess your still all reading Laurie Archers chapter on restrikes . . !
Old 29-05-11, 10:17 PM

Bought the books, read the relevant info. What is there to post? I suppose this (hopefully) goes for most Forum members.
Caveat Emptor.

Rgds,
Thomas.
Old 29-05-11, 10:29 PM

Default Restrikes . . !

Yes, I guess everyone has taken this thread onboard, not much else to say really.

I hoped when I started it, maybe it would stop some of the questions as to whether badges were genuine originals or not.

Commonsense and an understanding of commercial needs should be enough to stop most members from buying restrikes at exorbitant prices, however the need to buy exotic units insignia seems to be a criteria.