British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-08-09, 02:45 PM

Default The Maroon Beret

Sucking eggs:
As already stated it is well known that anyone attached to 16 Air Assault Brigade (or it's predesessor 5 Airborne Bde) is to wear the Maroon beret. This was brought in by the brigade* as to not alienate those essential but non parachute operational persons. It causes distress to most if not all of the Parachute trained personnel (especially the Parachute Regiment) out of all proportion to the what is after all just a beret colour.

The reason is this. The famous Pre-Parachute Selection course 'P-COMPANY' is when you EARN your maroon beret and formally become a member of the Maroon machine.
The Jump course is when you earn your Wings.

Now that is why you hardly ever see a parachute qualified man without his wings up. This is now the only way to distinguish a PARA from a 'Hat' member of the brigade.

Personally I think all attached members should wear the parent unit coloured beret until P-Coy is passed. Maybe someday a Brigade Commander will have the balls to order this. However I think the Paras will be amalgamated out of existance into a Para Commando Brigade before this happens.

* Historically all members of 1st Airborne Division (then 6th etc) wore the Maroon Beret whether Parachute or Airlanding or attached. The Commandos never had this problem because you earned your beret by passing the course Army, Navy, RAF or Marine and you could be a ships marine without being a Commando but you wore the blue beret.
Old 20-09-12, 11:53 AM

The 'Maroon Beret' is a (British) Parachute Brigade Embellishment and not an exclusive headdress of the Parachute Regiment, and never has been.

Quote:
"I am fully parachute qualified but have never worn a red beret because I never served in AB forces"
The Parachute Wing is the mark of the trained parachutist, and not the beret, and was so during my service.

The Parachute Wings are/were worn by Military Personel filling an establishment post and drew parachute pay.

The Parachute Badge (Lightbulb) [no longer worn] by those who were parachute trained but never filled a post.
it is almost impossible to do a 'All Arms' jump course these days unless you are in 16 Air Assault Brigade (before I get jumped on, yes exceptions do exist)

By definition all members of the Parachute Regiment fill an establishment post, and receive parachute pay once qualified.

The Parachute Wings are worn in perpetuity even after leaving the brigade.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 20-09-12 at 12:00 PM.
Old 20-09-12, 07:07 PM

Back in the good old days (late 1960s) when the RAF had lots of planes there was a complete jump course each year at Abingdon which was reserved for the RMAS. It was voluntary, took place during the summer leave period and was known to all as the "Edward Bear Course". Those who passed became members of the Edward Bear Club and for the rest of their career wore the "lightbulb" and had a "p" after their name in te Army List. Officers who joined the Paras had to do P Company before joining their unit but wore the red beret from the day they were commissioned.

Senior Under Officer E Bear was equipped with his own Irvin chute and Denison smock - he was said to have more jumps in his log book than any other member of the British army. He wore a blue beret.
Eddie
Old 21-09-12, 08:04 AM

As a non-para I would be loathe to wear a maroon beret on the grounds that my parent corps' beret is navy blue and I am as proud of that as any para and on no account would I wear any other cap badge than my own.
Old 21-09-12, 11:23 AM

REME LAD's like the ACC (now RLC) Chefs wear every colour & type of headdress in the British Army within their detachments, but always their own cap badge.

Headdress is the most common regimental embellishment worn by attached personnel, and the Maroon or indeed Sand (SAS) Beret is no differant to any other within the army in its wear by attached personnel.

British Army attached to Royal Marine Commandos volunteer for and complete the All Arms Commando Course to wear the coveted Marine Green Beret, and yes the REME & RLC wear that as well!
(if they pass, otherwise they are not posted within the brigade)

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 21-09-12 at 11:42 AM.
Old 21-09-12, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

This thread originates from a thread on the wearing of the maroon beret in the Canadian forces, but these posts deal with the use of the maroon beret in the British army. The topic deserved a thread of its own.
Old 21-09-12, 12:55 PM

Well split mate

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 21-09-12, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
Back in the good old days (late 1960s) when the RAF had lots of planes there was a complete jump course each year at Abingdon which was reserved for the RMAS. It was voluntary, took place during the summer leave period and was known to all as the "Edward Bear Course". Those who passed became members of the Edward Bear Club and for the rest of their career wore the "lightbulb" and had a "p" after their name in te Army List. Officers who joined the Paras had to do P Company before joining their unit but wore the red beret from the day they were commissioned.

Senior Under Officer E Bear was equipped with his own Irvin chute and Denison smock - he was said to have more jumps in his log book than any other member of the British army. He wore a blue beret.
Eddie
He had better remain anonymous, but here's a member of the Edward Bear Club on exercise at Thetford in the spring of 1963 - "Lightbulb" in evidence as a consquence of two balloon and six aircraft descents - Hastings and Beverley:
RMAS @Thetford 1963.jpg
Old 21-09-12, 03:25 PM

Default beret

3rd.Hussars wore the beret and Pegasus flash in Palestine in 47/48.