British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-08-12, 03:17 AM

Default polish para

Hi all it was suggested i post this ? here i have apolish WW2 jump wings with the combat wreath from the jump into Arnhem. The issue is the small bird in the wreath what does it reprisent and wondering the value . I have had this badge for over 30 years in my collection .Tanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06113.jpg (51.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06112.jpg (53.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 25-08-12, 12:00 PM

Checking the book "History of the Polish Paratrooper Badge" by Jan Lorys will establish the name of the owner, badge and combat wreath, unfortunately I do not have my copy to hand. I can't say I have ever seen an example with the backing and the small bird in the wreath. I certainly seems unusual, but whether or not authentic, I do not know. Hopefully Gary J will see this posting, he is very well qualified in being able to answer questions on these badges. Regards, Clive.
Old 25-08-12, 05:28 PM

it was common for Polish badges to be worn with a backing, medal ribbons included. the little bird in the wreath was personal to the soldier, Roman Maliszewski, 1 SBS, HQ/Command Company, 2nd Parachute Battalion. he jumped on 21st September from Dakota Chalk Number 46
Old 10-09-12, 02:35 AM

Unhappy polish Para

thanks guys now to see what the value is not sure if the wife will let me keep the proceeds to buy more
Old 11-09-12, 10:30 AM

If this is all original and from someone who jumped at Arnhem, it is quite valuable. For comparison: unissued examples without combat wreath are in the region of 600 GBP.