British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-08, 12:34 PM

I have no idea whether a WM Mon Rgt was worn as walking out dress before the war, but I would strongly say that it's possible - knowing about the regs for other battalions.
Anyway, when the RACD took over the provision of TF badges in 1915 they only defined one badge for the Monmouthshire Regiment (without any mention of separate battalions) as gilding metal with vertical shank (ie slider).
So it looks as though they all wore that for the duration of the war. In fact in April 1916 10,000 of these badges were ordered by the WO.
Old 13-10-08, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Julian,

Thank you for clearing that up - it is once again a delight to have some proper primary evidence. Gaylor was incorrect then and the 1st bn would definately have to have worn the all brass version from 1915-22 (if not before hand as well).

Alan
Old 13-10-08, 01:18 PM

I have been following this,also, and thanks Alan and KLR for the infos. Now I know what to look for.
Cheers all.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-10-08, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
Kevin,

Thanks for confirming that. Was the w/m one one for Blues or 'walking out'?

Alan

Alan,
Technically the wm version was worn on the 'rifle green' uniform. However, as always care must be taking in ageing these badges as my Mommouth collector contact informs me that he has photographic evidence of the wm dragon being worn after 1922.
I will look into this and post a definitive list of dates.
I have uploaded my Officers' badges to the Mons on an Album for all who may be interested.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...hp?albumid=154
Hwyl,
Kevin

Last edited by 41st; 13-10-08 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Link to album added
Old 14-10-08, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Just as an aside: is a lugged plain brass dragon badge automatically a restrike? I've had one for quite a while which I've never been sure about.
Not necessarily a restrike. Julian has dug out the Army order which changed badge fixings to sldier in 1903 but there were exceptions. As Julian pointed out the Monmouths badges were made for the ACD in 1915 so you might have a lugged badge made for the TF prior to that. If it was that old then you would easily be able to see it due to the age of the badge. Anything looking more recent that that with lugs must be questionable.

Alan
Old 14-10-08, 11:04 AM

Yes, I've certainly seen TF badges with loops that I assume were 1908 issue - general instructions often took longer to be implemented by non regulars. The other thing I'd say is that with the notification of new patterns there is often a rider to the effect that existing stocks will be used up first. I note that the ACD resealed the Mon Rgt badge in 1917 (they often resealed the 1915 batch of TF patterns later to their own standard) but I haven't loked up the reference. I would be surprised if the actual badge (GM slider) was different.
A good comparison is the 7th KLR which had all WM in 1908 but in 1915 the ACD declined to produce any for the duration and unless they used up their existing WM ones had to wear regular bm badges. Curiously, I can't find any ref to the resumption of WM 7th Bn after the war, in 1896(1908) or 1926 patterns yet there are photographs of them being worn AND extant badges !
The TF regulations for 1909 refer to all WM for SD - but we've been through that before !
Old 14-10-08, 09:47 PM

Thanks to Alan and KLR for the last two posts concerning my lugged Monmouths badge. It's hard to tell just how old mine is, but it's a sturdy kind of strike so I'm quite happy to hang onto it. If my camera were working I'd supply a couple of shots!
Old 15-10-08, 06:55 AM

Hi Guys,

Piggy backing onto this thread a bit but can anyone tell me when the 1st Battn of the Monmouthshire Regiment was dissoved or amalgamated into another unit.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-10-08, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Chris,

It was re-roled after WW1 from Infantry into Artillery (from memory). They were still in existance in WW2 but did not survive beyond that.

Alan
Old 15-10-08, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Chris,

It was re-roled after WW1 from Infantry into Artillery (from memory). They were still in existance in WW2 but did not survive beyond that.

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Very interesting bit of information for me.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-10-08, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Chris,

Alan
They were officially transfered to an artillery role in 1938 if I recall correctly, although I am advised that they carried on wearing their own pattern badge throughout WW2.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Old 15-10-08, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Kevin,

That date would match the TF reorganisation in 1937. TA units were disbanded in 1946-48 and not all were re-raised.

Alan
Old 15-10-08, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
They were officially transfered to an artillery role in 1938 if I recall correctly, although I am advised that they carried on wearing their own pattern badge throughout WW2.
Hwyl,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin !!!

Regards

Chris

Tags
monmouthshire