British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-16, 05:41 AM

Default QOGLR

Sitting in an interminable briefing yesterday I was able to study the Capt QOGLR sitting in front of me - Kaki wooly pully, black metal badges of rank, black metal titles QOGLR and what looked like a staybrite QOGLR collar badge worn in his navy blue beret. Stable belt was navy blue with two central white stripes. Mike
Old 10-02-16, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Sitting in an interminable briefing yesterday I was able to study the Capt QOGLR sitting in front of me - Kaki wooly pully, black metal badges of rank, black metal titles QOGLR and what looked like a staybrite QOGLR collar badge worn in his navy blue beret. Stable belt was navy blue with two central white stripes. Mike
Stable belt officially described as dark blue with two central stripes in "old gold" (yellow). Officers beret badge is collar-size but I believe purpose-made for the beret.
Old 10-02-16, 12:11 PM

Officers of the QOGLR are known to wear a collar badge in the beret especialy British officers but I would say that it is in NEW metal rather then a/a. I have yet to see a QOGLR badge in a/a. Up to today I have only seen new metal badges. I believe that the QOGTR had a/a badges.
I hope this helps.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 10-02-16, 02:13 PM

The badge would have been "new metal "Mike. It is rather shiny. The newer badges seem to keep there colour far better than some of the earlier versions.
The QOGTR a/a is a knock up Jerry.The scroll part is new metal from a QOGTR badge and the a/a star part from a GTR badge . All QOGTR cap and collars were new metal.
Old 10-02-16, 07:45 PM

Hiya,

I have not come across an AA QOGTR or QOGLR Cap badge, I have a number of metal badges, but not AA.

Maybe Chris Marsh can shed some light on the issue ?

Here is an image from my Stable belt album of the QOGLR that Mike is talking about.

Cheers

Ken

QOGLR Belt.jpg
Old 10-02-16, 10:48 PM

I've seen a GTR & QOGTR AA Badges but not QOGLR which are all in bi-metal.

There is no OR and Officers version, they are known as 'All Ranks Badges' and Officers wear the large badge on the Felt Gurkha Hat, and the smaller Collar Badge on a Dark Navy Beret in Barrack Dress, Working Dress & Combats. QOGLR Officers do not wear a SD Cap.

Wanted Poppy Pins

Last edited by Mike_2817; 10-02-16 at 10:55 PM.
Old 20-07-16, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Hiya,

I have not come across an AA QOGTR or QOGLR Cap badge, I have a number of metal badges, but not AA.

Maybe Chris Marsh can shed some light on the issue ?

Here is an image from my Stable belt album of the QOGLR that Mike is talking about.

Cheers

Ken

Attachment 141629
Hi Ken,

I would rather not as people get pretty grumpy about the subject.

However, the QOGTR cap badge was authorised in 1993 via the Army Dress Committee. During the same year the change was first proposed and instigated for the move from A/A to 'New Metal' - an early version of the RLC not withstanding.

I am confident that the official badge came with an A/A silver base but with the mounted 'detail' part in 'New Metal'. It may also have come in all A/A but I have not handled one.

I am also confident that the badge came in all 'New Metal'. I have one marked by JG GAUNT B'HAM which may have been one of the last badges marked as such before Firmin took them over.

Regards,

Chris
Old 11-02-16, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Thanks to all for the clarification (the sighting was at longish range - being a sub-contractor I was sitting at the back!) Mike
Old 11-02-16, 09:50 AM

I have the following image that shows a QOGTR A/A BADGE with maker mark of JR GAUNT BIRMINGHAM. I have not seen the badge "in the flesh" so cannot confirm this. On looking closely at the image it seems to be a/a.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 QOGTR GAUNT B'HAM anod.jpg (86.7 KB, 55 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)