British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-04-14, 07:46 AM

Default Buttons

Have uploaded a small collection of SA buttons as an album for interest. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2310
Old 22-04-14, 04:42 PM

Hi Dudley
Great album. Although I don't specifically collect buttons, they've always been a favourite of mine. Probably because when I started collecting that was about all I could afford. I particularly like the Natal Cadet Corps button, never seen one of those before.
Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
Old 22-04-14, 05:31 PM

Collectors rather look down on buttons and favour medals and badges ( usually in that order). As a result you find medals to particular units are fairly available but the badges are more difficult to find and buttons not at all. Maybe its time for a reevaluation ?
Regards
Mike
Old 22-04-14, 05:52 PM

Gentlemen,
When I originally collected, I always found buttons to be very hard to obtain, those to SAMIF units in particular.
Old 23-04-14, 04:40 AM

Thank you for showing these.
Old 23-04-14, 04:56 AM

As a student I had very little to spend on badges, so concentrated on buttons and build up a very good collection of South African buttons. The only better collection I have seen of SA buttons was in the collection of Howard Ripley (the guru on uniform buttons in my opinion) back in 1995 when I visited and viewed his collection.

I do from time to time add the odd button to the collection, but they have become very difficult to find. My most recent addition is an officers SD button to the 'Cape Coloured Labour Regiment' WWI and officers buttons to First City Highland Company 1906-13. Both extremely difficult buttons to optain.

Steven

Last edited by Milmed; 23-04-14 at 12:42 PM.
Old 23-04-14, 05:16 AM

Hi Dudley,
Very nice collection of buttons, thanks for showing them. I have two versions of the South African Medical Corps, one with a double scroll with the titles in full.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 23-04-14, 05:37 AM

Thanks Dudley. I personally like buttons, so am chuffed to see others also showing an interest. Regards Andrew
Old 23-04-14, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
My most recent addition is an officers SD button to the 'Cape Coloured Labour Regiment' WWI and officers buttons to First City Highland Company 1906-13. Both extremely difficult buttons to optain.

Steven
Wow, great finds. Can you show us them!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 23-04-14, 06:47 AM

A favourite one would have to be the "South African Welsh" the dragon was a nice touch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010068.jpg (40.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 23-04-14, 08:31 AM

Hello Madziro,

An excellent display of buttons and thanks for sharing them with us.

I must say that the I particularly liked the 'South African Welsh' shown by Frank Kelley! I am green with envy!

By the way, just in case there are some button collectors who only look through limited sections of this forum you might consider making a note of these in the 'Military Buttons' section as well. I have noted recently that a lot of button queries are being posted under 'General Topics' or 'It's a mystery ....'.

Just a thought, but it seems a shame to have a forum specifically devoted to military buttons if it is not going to be used.

Regards
Roger
Old 23-04-14, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Wow, great finds. Can you show us them!
Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex,
I will scan and post asap. Maybe some of the other interesting bits as well.

Steven
Old 23-04-14, 09:15 AM

The alias Button Guru is not attached to Howard Ripley.

Button_Guru used to be a BBF member. He left after being repremanded by a moderator. "We will not have members rallying against other members ...". That other member's only intention was to enhance his e-bay sales. He was querying for button identities before offering them on e-bay. A few weeks later he was caught out doing the same for badges. Badge collectors responded similar to Button_Guru. This time the guy was suspended.

Last edited by btns; 23-04-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 23-04-14, 12:41 PM

Hi Btns,
Did not realise there was a user alias 'Button_guru'. My reference to Howard been the guru is refering to his vast knowledge of and collection of uniform buttons

Apologies if anyone may have taken offense.

Steven
Old 23-04-14, 01:04 PM

Many thanks for the kind words Gents. Have added a few more images of buttons that I had not scanned previously. Buttons make a fascinating collection and while I am not a big collector of them, tend to pick them up when they come my way.

Regards

Dudley