British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-07-14, 09:08 PM

Default Rutland home guard badge in WW1 photo

Us Rutland collectors have always thought the home guard badge was a left over from WW1 and was adopted by the home guard - small numbers only, despite what the textbooks state regarding its origin.

This photo shows two Officers from a photo entitled 1st Bn Rutland volunteer regiment wearing the horseshoe as collar dogs.

I wonder if this is why the badge is cast and on lugs.

I would be interested in what other members think.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 27-07-14, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT View Post
Us Rutland collectors have always thought the home guard badge was a left over from WW1 and was adopted by the home guard - small numbers only, despite what the textbooks state regarding its origin.

This photo shows two Officers from a photo entitled 1st Bn Rutland volunteer regiment wearing the horseshoe as collar dogs.

I wonder if this is why the badge is cast and on lugs.

I would be interested in what other members think.

Paul
Nice photo Paul, as it's always great to see those little oddments worn by the Volunteers in WWI and it would be nice to see the full photo.

Have you noticed the way the small 'V' is being worn? The officer on our left has placed the 'V' within the Horseshoe, whereas his colleagues are wearing it in the correct position, below the collar.
Old 27-07-14, 03:00 PM

Graham,

Yes I noticed the v's

I will try to get a scan of the photo. It shows 20 officers, roughly half are wearing the horseshoe.

I think it proves that this style badge was being worn 20+ years earlier than the HG

Have attached a photo of my Rutland badge....ex Braunston platoon given to me in the early 1970's by its owner.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 27-07-14, 03:30 PM

It's also interesting to note that the 1st Bn, Rutlandshire Volunteer Regiment wasn't absorbed into the Leicestershire Volunteer Regt in July 1918 and therefore didn't become a Volunteer Bn of that unit. Their H.Q. remained at the Drill Hall, Penn St, Oakham, Rutland.

Now after July 1918 all units dispensed with the G.S. Capbadge apart from London and then adopted 'normal' cap badges of their local regiment or Corps to whom they were affiliated as new 'Volunteer' Bn's. Did Rutland V.R. continue to wear the G.S. Capbadge or did they move the Horseshoe to the Cap?
Old 27-07-14, 06:44 PM

Not much material to draw from. This is about all I have managed to find out.
They were officially recognised as a Battalion in May 1916.
In April 1919 A regimental smoking concert was held at The Victoria hall in Oakham as a social re-union for past and present Volunteers. During this Lord Ranksborough held a short address and said that He had hoped to make a statement on the future of the Volunteers but said the time wasn't right.
What became of them after this I don't know.
There is an early photo taken in 1915 which shows them wearing what looks like the std VTC badge but no horseshoes.
The officer photo I think is later than 1915.
No evidence yet that shows other ranks wearing the horseshoe.

It does mean one thing though........I need to add a bronze horseshoe to my wants list!
Old 27-07-14, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJT View Post
Not much material to draw from. This is about all I have managed to find out.
They were officially recognised as a Battalion in May 1916.
There is an early photo taken in 1915 which shows them wearing what looks like the std VTC badge but no horseshoes.
The officer photo I think is later than 1915.
No evidence yet that shows other ranks wearing the horseshoe.

It does mean one thing though........I need to add a bronze horseshoe to my wants list!
The officer photo shown is post 1916 - this is when the Volunteer Force came into being from the old V.T.C.. Sadly I have no Rutland Volunteer photo's in my collection.
Old 28-07-14, 01:56 AM

"It's also interesting to note that the 1st Bn, Rutlandshire Volunteer Regiment wasn't absorbed into the Leicestershire Volunteer Regt in July 1918 and therefore didn't become a Volunteer Bn of that unit. Their H.Q. remained at the Drill Hall, Penn St, Oakham, Rutland."

Graham,

I think one reason why 1 Rutland VR didn't become a Leicestershire Bn was that they shared a joint VTC Association. The Grantham Journal, published 04.09.15. reported a meeting held on 01.09.15. where representatives of the units comprising the Leicestershire Volunteer Regiment decided to incorporate Rutland units into the Leicestershire VTC, with a view to announcing a new regimental organisation subsequently.

Stephen.