British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-04-18, 09:43 AM

Default Mounting Options...

Hi All,

I've been collecting QC anodised badges for some time now and I'm at the point where I can start mounting some of my collection. This afternoon I plan to begin the laborious process of removing all the sliders and lugs.

From experience, is it best to nail or screw the badges to a mounting board? I'm thinking screws, for the purpose of removal for cleaning, swapping, etc.

Any assistance or thoughts greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-04-18, 09:50 AM

In my humble opinion you will a) ruin the badge and b) considerably reduce its value !

Why don't you make a hole in a card or whatever and slot the lugs / sliders into said - measured - holes
Old 01-04-18, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfin View Post
Hi All,

I've been collecting QC anodised badges for some time now and I'm at the point where I can start mounting some of my collection. This afternoon I plan to begin the laborious process of removing all the sliders and lugs.

From experience, is it best to nail or screw the badges to a mounting board? I'm thinking screws, for the purpose of removal for cleaning, swapping, etc.

Cheers, Paul.
I cut off all the lugs and sliders and then super glued the badges to green baize.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A UK (3).JPG (109.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 01-04-18, 10:39 AM

Tim,

Thats a good point but I think I would opt for the option of nailing them.

It would ensure that they dont ever fall off and if you do it with the board already on the wall they could hang the board as well - win win

The choice of nail is upto the individual but I would pick the dull finish of a 2" Clout Nail.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 01-04-18, 11:05 AM

Ha ha, Cheers fellas - my poor attempt at at April Fools gag! Happy Easter everyone!
Old 01-04-18, 11:20 AM

Happy April Fools Day

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 01-04-18, 11:39 AM

The sort of thing the IWM did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfin View Post
Hi All,

Cheers, Paul.
Old 01-04-18, 12:03 PM

Unfortunately while stationed at RAF Cosford we had an Open Day (Families and general public on the base), at some point you yourself get a break to have a mooch around.
By the Air Training Corps stand I spy Cap Badges! Bingo!! made a bee-line to it only to discover the whole frame of badges nailed to the board and not even nicely they had actually hammered the nails through the badges!!! I was fuming and said they had destroyed them! Why? did they do that? it makes no sense now all this time later, and unfortunately have seen Anodised badges with fixings removed to mount them!

Good scam though initial reading was NOOOO!!!!

All the best billy
Old 01-04-18, 12:21 PM

Talking Fixing badges

Sadly many collectors have in the past and probably will in the future remove sliders and lugs and opt for nails.

A lovely 1st April wind-up . . !

Rob
Old 01-04-18, 01:12 PM

At the Royal Welsh Museum at Brecon I was horrified to see a display of Great War memorial plaques screwed to the wall, all of which had been drilled through at the twelve O'clock position.
Old 01-04-18, 01:33 PM

You see that sort of thing an awful lot, it was not unusual for next of kin to do that, but, in the case of a museum, one would think that they really should know better, a great shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
At the Royal Welsh Museum at Brecon I was horrified to see a display of Great War memorial plaques screwed to the wall, all of which had been drilled through at the twelve O'clock position.
Old 01-04-18, 02:28 PM

Duuuh ! Sorry !

Happy Easter
Old 01-04-18, 02:38 PM

I just hope no-one actually took note of the 'experts' this time. You had me for a moment. I was ready to give you guys a piece of my mind. Forgot it was April Fool's day.
David
Old 01-04-18, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
The sort of thing the IWM did.
Yes, ouch.
I well remember as a kid drooling over the IWM's displays of British and other badges all framed and protected under glass after they'd been vandalised.
For some reason the badge I particularly remember (probably because it was at a child's eye level) is a German wound badge held with two flat headed nails bashed through it.
Old 01-04-18, 03:17 PM

I well remember seeing a great deal of Nazi badges, whilst on visits as a schoolboy, that had been the subject of that particular treatment.
I could never understand it, all the more so, since at least one of the staff responsible, was actually a very keen collector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yes, ouch.
I well remember as a kid drooling over the IWM's displays of British and other badges all framed and protected under glass after they'd been vandalised.
For some reason the badge I particularly remember (probably because it was at a child's eye level) is a German wound badge held with two flat headed nails bashed through it.