British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-05-18, 12:20 PM

Smile "Hairpin" sliders

I have collected Cambridgeshire Regt badges for a number of years and have never seen one with a "hairpin slider" before until the other week when I bought one with the "e" missing and was pleased to find a hairpin slider on this badge.
I know certain badges are nearly always found with them such as the 3rd Carabiniers and often the Royal Irish/Ulster Rifles, but I wonder whether this type of slider was used by one manufacturer, would anyone be able to enlighten me?

Rob
Old 06-05-18, 08:05 PM

Rob, the official WO RACD ledgers record this sort of fixture for badges of regular units. Thus the earliest was the Conaught Rangers in 1906, the Loyal North Lancs in 1908, the Royal Irish Rifles in 1911 and the Royal Artillery in 1917.
As you probably know, regulations for badges of the (Vol Bns and) TF badges are sparse and defined (if ever) by the local County Associations (which means travelling to every local archive department in the country !!). In 1915 the RACD centralised the regulation and provision of the TF badges - but searching through the ledgers I have not come across any that specify this fixture. The only ones I know of are from physical examples; the North Irish Horse and now the Cambs Regt !!
(Perhaps other Pals might provide information of this slider type for any other TF / TA badge !)
With imminent retirement (well, probably semi-retirement) I'll really get down to 'Part 2' !!
best wishes
J

Last edited by KLR; 07-05-18 at 06:28 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Perhaps other Pals might provide information of this slider type for any other TF / TA badge !
Hertfordshire Regiment is a very common one. I had a tin of them at one point, but either swapped, sold or gave most away. I have two or three left now.
Old 06-05-18, 11:32 PM

Default Hairpin sliders

Morning,

For the benefit of all, and to avoid confusion in the future, might it be possible to add a photo of a hairpin slider please?

Stephen.
Old 07-05-18, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Morning,

For the benefit of all, and to avoid confusion in the future, might it be possible to add a photo of a hairpin slider please?

Stephen.
Here you go Stephen.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=17327
Tony.
Old 07-05-18, 07:23 AM

Default Hairpin sliders

Tony, thank you.
I thought I knew what was meant but it is best to have everything clearly laid out for those who may refer to this thread in the future.

Stephen.
Old 07-05-18, 08:29 AM

Default Hairpin sliders

Thanks chaps for the great answers to my question, I will post a photo at some stage of my Cambs badge which has had the slider clipped unfortunately.

I think this form of vandalism was done to put badges onto belts, probably so they could be done as more than one tier.

Rob
Old 07-05-18, 05:30 PM

Thanks, there's no official 'strengthening' mentioned for 18H and - as far as i remember - for Cambs or Herts, though I'll check as I write Part 2 ! It is possible that a number of manufacturers added this type of slider to cope with the 'weak parts' i tried to define in Part 1

The ‘special shank’ can be easily identified as one bent over like a hairpin so a flat face is brazed over a larger part of the badge, rather than the end of it, at potentially weak junctions like an attached crown.
Old 07-05-18, 07:23 PM

I think they were also cut down from long slidered pagri badges, to fit the service cap.
Old 08-05-18, 07:08 PM

Phil, I'm not sure what you mean. I've never seen a long pagri slider with a hairpin bend ! In any case removing the slider from the (pagri) badge and then bending it over would seem to be very labour intensive !?
Old 08-05-18, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Perhaps other Pals might provide information of this slider type for any other TF / TA badge
I also have a 6th Kings with a "Hairpin slider" and Like Rob, the Cambridgshire Regt

Although not Territorial, I have a 1924 Queen's (West Surrey) with the above mentioned shank.
Old 09-05-18, 07:23 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Rob, the official WO RACD ledgers record this sort of fixture for badges of regular units. Thus the earliest was the Conaught Rangers in 1906, the Loyal North Lancs in 1908, the Royal Irish Rifles in 1911 and the Royal Artillery in 1917.
As you probably know, regulations for badges of the (Vol Bns and) TF badges are sparse and defined (if ever) by the local County Associations (which means travelling to every local archive department in the country !!). In 1915 the RACD centralised the regulation and provision of the TF badges - but searching through the ledgers I have not come across any that specify this fixture. The only ones I know of are from physical examples; the North Irish Horse and now the Cambs Regt !!
(Perhaps other Pals might provide information of this slider type for any other TF / TA badge !)
With imminent retirement (well, probably semi-retirement) I'll really get down to 'Part 2' !!
best wishes
J
G'day KLR

Would you know when the 17th Lancers Motto or 21st Lancers badge was first issued with a slider ??

Thanks for any help in advance.

regards

Phil.
Old 09-05-18, 10:51 AM

Infantry badges got sliders in 1906 but I'm not very good on cavalry badges - it all depends on what headgear they had. Anyway, i'll see what I have in my notes at home tonight