British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy > 1968 post unification: CAF(N)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-09-16, 03:31 PM

Default Buttons Query

Could anyone show me what buttons were worn by members of the old RCN after they became Canadian Armed Forces (Maritime Operations) in 1968?

And what buttons do they wear now that the Royal Canadian Navy has been restored?

Thanks

Pete
Old 26-09-16, 05:43 PM

Default CF Buttons

These were adopted in 1968 for the unification uniform and were worn by the Army (for those with no regimental or corps attachment- recruits, GO, etc.) up to this year. They were worn by naval operations personnel until the introduction of DEU c1985. They can be found in 3 different sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-SET-CAF...wAAOSwpDdVD2ii
Old 26-09-16, 07:41 PM

Default Buttons Query

Thanks for that!

Was there any distinction between officers and other ranks or was it just the same button for everyone?

You say they were worn until the introduction of 'DEU' in c1985. What does 'DEU' stand for? And what buttons were worn then?

And what do they wear now?

Sorry to have so many questions!

Pete
Old 26-09-16, 07:49 PM

There were no distinctions between OR and officers buttons, all wore the same gold plated CF button, nor were their any distinctions in the uniform, everyone wore the same green uniform. Eventually the army would adopt regimental buttons and other tribalisms. DEU is Distinctive Environmental Uniform- the green or tan (army), air force blue and navy blue/ black or white that returned to the traditional colours of the 3 services.

Can't help with what they wear now, I am not familiar with it.
Old 26-09-16, 10:11 PM

Default Buttons Query

Thank you very much! You have been most helpful!

I guess that even after adopting DEU they retained the standard CF button?

Hopefully someone out there will be able to tell me what buttons the modern RCN is wearing - although I get the impression that, insignia wise, everything is changing rapidly at the moment in all of the Canadian Armed Forces!

Pete
Old 26-09-16, 10:42 PM

Hi guzz,

I think the current RCN has gone back to wearing the buttons that we wore prior to the 1968 debacle!

The pre '68 RCN buttons were basically identical for officers & ratings, but the CPO/PO buttons had horizontal lines running in the background, whereas the officers buttons were plain gilt with a rope surround.

I have shown a photo of the CPO/PO gilt buttons as that is all I have on file.

CPO/PO buttons

Officer buttons - don't have a close up photo but I think you will be able to view the differences in the officer's buttons compared to the CPO/PO buttons.

I expect there may be no difference in what they two grades are wearing now tho - I think they will be the same,

Best wishes!
Bryan
Old 27-09-16, 01:13 PM

Default Button Query

Many thanks Bryan!

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter! The reason I asked is because as well as my collection of RN buttons I also collect buttons from the Australian, Canadian, Indian and South African navies. Most of the buttons I have for India and South Africa predate their becoming republics but I recently acquired a selection of South African buttons which showed all the changes (and there have been quite a few!) post becoming a republic. That inspired me to buy some post-1950 Indian buttons (the ones I have going back as far as the mid-Victorian period).

Then I began to think about Canada. I have a good selection of pre-1968 RCN buttons but nothing after that date. I will now endeavour to obtain some CF buttons and will hope that I can obtain confirmation of what is being worn now, so that I can bring the story up to date as I have with India and South Africa. Australia is so much simpler!

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Pete
Old 27-12-16, 12:52 AM

Good day Pete,

Sorry it's taken me so long to add to this thread. I was waiting to check with a friend who's a serving matelot.

Present buttons worn on the Navy DEU's are like the CPO buttons in the first photo in RCN Bryan's post. There is no distinction between Officers and Lower deck men. As soon as I can I will send pics of the present day buttons.

Happy holidays,

Ian B
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 29-12-16, 02:08 AM

Default Follow-on Photo

As promised. These are the 28 ligne buttons for the front of the tunic. Slightly smaller 24 ligne are for the breast pockets and epaulettes (no epaulettes on the RCN rig, but used for the Officer's dress shoulder boards).

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0175.jpg (42.7 KB, 27 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 29-12-16, 05:08 AM

Default CF buttons

Guzzman, Send me a PM, with your address, I'll send you the buttons worn '68 -'85. Buckshee! The worst thing ever foisted on the Canadian Forces! Best regards, David J.
Old 31-12-16, 01:28 PM

Default Buttons Query

Hi David,

PM sent. Very many thanks. Your offer is very much appreciated. A Happy New Year to all forum members in Canada!

Pete