British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

View Poll Results: Do you collect fakes?
yes 1 4.55%
no i see no benefit in it 16 72.73%
to fill gaps 3 13.64%
i dont mind if its real or not i just have money burning a hole in my pocket 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-02-11, 04:40 AM

Default Aussie 2 Commando Regiment Fakes

Hi all
i started a thread on here to warn members of Fake Australian Army badges on Ebay,
it seems to have been taken down without consultation.

I believe forums like this to be the perfect place to warn fellow collectors of unsrupulous praying on us.

Do you collect fakes?
Old 19-02-11, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

The forum also has a legal obligation not to allow libel. In this case the seller made a complaint about the allegations so the thread was removed. This topic has been discussed ebfore and I am afraid that the bottom line is that any alleged libel might cause the forum to be terminated which would be a great loss to the users.
Old 19-02-11, 06:33 PM

Unhappy Had I but known...

Yes, I do collect fakes. I didn't intend to, I just didn't know any better when I bought them. Maybe I should say I have purchased fakes. I wouldn't have had I known then what I know now. Just a sad statement of fact.

Sadder, but wiser.

Don
Old 19-02-11, 09:50 PM

Smile Too right

Thanks Alan

Would not want to jeopardize forum in any way , I think this forum is a great resource.

Let's just say the chances of buying a fake 2 Commando regiment badge on eBay are around 99%.

I believe it's not libel if it's true.

I have bundles of evidence and can back it up.
Old 20-02-11, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunatley, libel law works on the principle of damage, not of "truth". If the plantiff can prove harm, the person who posted the message and the venue (the Forum), in this case, can be held liable.
The best course of action, as has been posted on the Forum several times, is to discuss what is wrong with the item, leaving the vendor's name etc out of the discussion. If the item is shown to be suspect, the membership can draw their conclusion about the vendor.
Unfortunately, we all know that there are vendors who are not reputable, but proving that they are not in a court of law is another thing. If we post what is wrong with a badge, that is fair comment.
Old 20-02-11, 12:38 AM

Wink

ack thanks Bill

wouldnt risk the forum .

i find it amazing sellers knowingly doing the wrong thing have the nerve to make threats.

Happy collecting all,

heres to truth, justice and the Australian way,

the curse of the Platypus is brutal.

i enjoy my collecting and as i have mentioned i have bags and boxes full of stuff thats just fake rubbish i would not pass on.

i am enjoying the poll though.

a wise man once said "my greatest fear in life is my wife selling my collection for what i said i paid for it"