British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-11, 08:45 AM

Default Three badges for ID and info

Hi People hope some one can help 1st badge is a helmet plate to the Cape Town Highlanders but its brass i can find no reference to a {brass} helmet plate in any of the books i have, is it a copie/re-strike, perhaps some one knows, badge no 2 is a small bronze {what appears to be a collar dog] I thought the Wawickshire Yeomanry, but the right leg of the bear is wrong also it has a prong on the back.
3rd badge is a piece of bad wire lapel badge i have seen this before but i cant remember where for the life of me, any info or ID much appreciated. cheers Guys Scots Grey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cape town High.jpg (47.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg cape town back.jpg (42.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 2 badges.jpg (15.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 2 badges back.jpg (77.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 21-02-11, 08:50 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello,
I cannot comment on the brass badge. However the other two I have suggestions for. Is the barbed wire a former PoW lapel badge. i have seen something similar before. Is the Warwicks a police collar badge?
Matti
Old 21-02-11, 09:05 AM

Default not known

I have not got a clue, you could be right about the police collar badge, the bad wire badge i seem to remember internment of some kind cant recall at the moment. thanks Scots Greys
Old 21-02-11, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

The bear is probably an officer's badge for the Warwickshire Yeomanry. There were a few designs of bear used including a sitting one.
Old 21-02-11, 05:04 PM

The Warwickshire Yeomanry one certainly looks like an officer's hat or collar (police were white metal?) - but it doesn't look broken yet only has one blade?
Old 24-02-11, 02:33 PM

Hi SG
The CTH badge is a theatre made badge from Egypt during WWII, a lot of SA units used these theatre made badges and I have even met a CTH veteran who wore one.
The barbed wire lapel badge was worn by members of the Ossewa Brandwag (Ox-wagon Firewatch - literal) in South Africa who were interred during the war because they supported the Germans. Whether it was used elsewhere I don't know but I'm not sure if that is original because if I remember correctly, other ones I've seen were pin-backed.
Anyway, if you don't want it, please let me know.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 24-02-11, 03:56 PM

Default THANKS

Hi Alex
Thanks for the info about the CTH and the bad wire badge I will keep it I think, I bought the bad wire in South Africa however on visiting another Antique shop seen another for £9 exactly the same design as mine. regards SG
Old 24-02-11, 05:21 PM

I agree with Alex's comments. Regards Andrew
Old 24-02-11, 05:24 PM

SG, it looks like you went on a shopping spree in SA. I am glad that you found some good stuff. Andrew
Old 24-02-11, 07:22 PM

That is a Warwickshire Yeomanry OSD cap badge you have there. I have one with a similar single slider like blade fitting. A rather scarce badge actually.

CB
Old 24-02-11, 09:02 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
That is a Warwickshire Yeomanry OSD cap badge you have there. I have one with a similar single slider like blade fitting. A rather scarce badge actually.

CB
I keep forgetting when OSD badges were introduced, however could a possible answer be that the single blade is a result of the "WARWICKSHIRE IY" base scroll being removed on the change from Imperial to just Yeomanry? And with the base scroll went the lower blade?

Just a thought?

Andy