British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-17, 06:13 PM

Question Preserving a uniform

Hi all,

I have purchased my first turn of the 20th century yeomanry uniform and only know some basic information about storage in a dry, cool storage container like an acid free archive box and paper. Noting different climatic conditions in Australia I would be obliged to any additional pointers as the uniform has shoulder chains, collar badges and buttons which some guides suggest removing and seperate storage. It also has leather gauntlets and leggings.

Guidance appreciated, cheers Dean
Old 08-09-17, 06:30 PM

Dean.

What I am about to say may well be at odds with the professional advice you might receive,but I always feel that a uniform should, whenever possible, be displayed on a mannequin rather than hidden away in a plastic bag in a wardrobe.

I have had my uniforms displayed on mannequins in a warm, dry environment and well away from direct sunlight and they have been given a regular brushing with a stiff brush andhave been displayed like this for many years and they have never ( as far as I can see ) suffered any damage.

The biggest advantage with displaying uniforms in this way is that they can be enjoyed all the time.

Over to the experts to tell me what I am doing wrong.

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coll.2.jpg (75.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2124.jpg (79.8 KB, 93 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 08-09-17, 06:39 PM

If folded & wrapped, place acid free tissue type paper around buttons, bullion (advice given to officers "back in the day") & avoid moth balls & the like, in my experience they dull & tone bullion etc.
A google should throw up some advice (notably a Canadian museum site) on how to fold & store tunics.
I'm not brave enough to leave such garments exposed to the man cave elements, but there's no reason why not if you're on top of the inspection & dusting regime.
Old 09-09-17, 12:04 AM

Thanks Peter and Leigh for the advice and guidance. Yours are a terrific display Peter. I have had a look at the Canadian museum advice and it is quite a good guide. As it is a tropical climate I am reaching out locally to a museum curator for advice as well.

Several people have noted it is a good idea to freeze it for a day or so to kill any moths and eggs etc.

All fun researching, cheers and thanks again Dean.
Old 09-09-17, 09:58 AM

I see the sense in freezing items in order to kill off pests but but don't do it, I don't like the idea of freezing buttons, badges, bullion, leather.
The attached photo shows that it may not be a good idea to take advice from me on storing & preserving militaria........
(Shelving pending).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170909_105110735.jpg (52.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-09-17, 12:44 PM

I do like when entropy prevails, thanks for leading by example Leigh. I like the one third from the right, second row.

Yes will hold off on freezing and am cleaning thoroughly as a first step, cheers Dean.
Old 09-09-17, 02:11 PM

Sounds like a ploy to get me to pull the cap out for further photos, thereby bringing the whole house of cards down?
A 17/21L cap from the 70's, atop a Yugo NE44 helmet recovered from a minefield in Kotor Varos in 1999 (its companion shredded camo smock left in the minefield) atop a Mk IV "turtle" RMP lid.
Old 09-09-17, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I see the sense in freezing items in order to kill off pests but but don't do it, I don't like the idea of freezing buttons, badges, bullion, leather.
The attached photo shows that it may not be a good idea to take advice from me on storing & preserving militaria........
(Shelving pending).
Leigh, i don't think you have enough hats there !
Andy
Old 09-09-17, 03:22 PM

Its a bit of a balancing act to wear them all at once. And when you add the rest.......
Old 09-09-17, 04:06 PM

Dean, here's a link to the Canadian Conservation Institute (CCI) in Ottawa, where I used to work. Then go to the Textiles section: http://canada.pch.gc.ca/eng/1439925167385

You might also want to contact conservators at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, or whoever is at the museums in Brisbane. I don't have any contacts in Oz any more, otherwise I could put you on to someone.

If you're going to display uniforms, make sure they get enough padding so they don't sag or get misshapen.

Cheers,
David
Old 10-09-17, 11:02 PM

Many thanks David this is most helpful and yes am contacting a few curators in Australia for advice. I have cleaned it and just taking my time, cheers Dean.
Old 11-09-17, 07:05 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Dean

We have been through this type of thing at the Running Rabbits Museum in Upwey where I volunteer. We work closely with Collections Vic / Melbourne Museum, also one of our guys has been up to the War Mem in Canberra for a behind the closed doors tour and came back saying that we do it exactly the same as they do.

On receipt all uniforms have any badges etc removed and the uniform put into a vacuum sealed bag and put into a chest freezer for about a week, this kills off all the bugs and creepy crawlies, and you have lots of them up there! If the uniform is to be hung on a coat hanger or similar use one with as wide as possible shoulder support. The uniform is then put into a calico bag and hung in an area with as little light as possible. If you are going to put it into a box get a large flat box and inter leaf it with acid free tissue.

All the bits can be obtained from Archival Survival in Melb, their ware house is in Wangaratta and will mail all the bits to you. I have and we do use them to supply the storage materials. They will probably be able to provide advice as well. I don't have their contact details handy but Mr Google will help out here.

However your biggest prob is going to be heat and humidity and I'd hope you know how to look after these issues.

All the best

Regards

Phil.

Nd as an after thought how's mum and the new bub ??
Old 11-09-17, 07:53 AM

Sorry,
not wishing to be facitious, but what do you do when you want to enjoy looking at the item ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 11-09-17 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-09-17, 04:19 PM

Thanks Phil,

I have looked at Archival Survival and a good solution for long term storage but as Peter notes I wish to display it as well so keeping my options open for now.

Mum and bub doing very well thanks - 12 weeks and starting with yeomanry !

Cheers Dean
Old 13-09-17, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Dean.

Over to the experts to tell me what I am doing wrong.

Peter, your uniforms look fine but the mannequins are starting to acquire that white pasty look from being kept out of the sun. I think you should strip the uniforms at least weekly and stand the mannequins in the sun for several hours so they get their dose of Vitamin D and a good healthy tan befitting soldiers, not prisoners!

Tags
preservation, uniform